Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Lifestyle > The Motoring Zone
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Motoring Zone Just bought a car? Need advice on a car? Want to chat about cars generally? Here is the place to do it.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2018, 02:12 PM   #21
Kerr
Distinguished Detailer
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 9,688
Thanks: 1,688
Thanked 6,675 Times in 4,232 Posts
His name on the logbook makes it even worse. Obviously didn't want a credit card payment as he knew action could be taken later.

Sounds as dodgy as they come.
Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kerr For This Useful Post:
Starbuck88 (12-02-2018)
Old 12-02-2018, 02:13 PM   #22
Cookies
Distinguished Detailer + Dw Reviewer
 
Cookies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: County Down
Posts: 6,891
Thanks: 11,737
Thanked 5,198 Times in 3,777 Posts
Garage
Told you so.

Lol. Just stack this one up to experience, chum. It was definitely worth going to see. If you hadn't, it would always have nagged you that it could have been the best one ever!!!

On the plus side, car shopping is the best thing ever!!!!

N
Cookies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cookies For This Useful Post:
Starbuck88 (12-02-2018)
Old 12-02-2018, 02:23 PM   #23
Starbuck88
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
Starbuck88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Cornwall
Posts: 3,121
Thanks: 5,037
Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,680 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerr View Post
His name on the logbook makes it even worse. Obviously didn't want a credit card payment as he knew action could be taken later.

Sounds as dodgy as they come.
I actually couldn't believe it when I got home and looked up the company info.

It was like every dodgy used car salesman tactic, stereotype, joke, came into play from the moment I said, 'Hi, I'm the guy that's come to see the BMW'.
Starbuck88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 02:50 PM   #24
parsa1
Unwashed Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 25
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I have been caught with the same sort of thing got there car was not as described so I pulled out of the deal getting my deposit back was very frustrating and these people play on the fact that because of the amount of hassle you wont bother as they say chalk it up to experience I never put any deposit down now.
parsa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to parsa1 For This Useful Post:
Starbuck88 (12-02-2018)
Old 12-02-2018, 02:51 PM   #25
wish wash
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
wish wash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Causing mischief in the R35
Posts: 1,357
Thanks: 42
Thanked 586 Times in 477 Posts
A lucky escape really. You do sometimes get bargains with people selling cars similar to a price they've been offered by we buy any car, but it pays to always get the best example you can can afford.
wish wash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wish wash For This Useful Post:
Starbuck88 (12-02-2018)
Old 12-02-2018, 05:38 PM   #26
percymon
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,389
Thanks: 171
Thanked 710 Times in 596 Posts
Garage
Well despite the wasted day, long journey etc etc I think you actually got soem positives from the experience..

1. you know that a car at that age can potentially be sound mechanically (even when its probably been sat idle for some time)
2. 17 year old cars will have some cosmetic issues, and had paintwork - not necessarily a bad thing but a bad job isn't always recoverable without further paint
3. the electrical issues may have been cheap fixes, or fixable with reasonable cost given the low purchase price
4. You'll no doubt be a lot more wary of such traders going forward

There are decent cars out there, but buying privately from an elderly gentleman/lady is probably more wise than dodgy traders on cars of this age. Example ? https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...01802023361699

The silver 520i Msport in Essex has rust bubbling behind the rear drivers arch so that was not worth a visit, even if you had more time




If ts the blue one at EssexTradeSalesLtd then it did look OK in the photos

Last edited by percymon; 12-02-2018 at 05:51 PM.
percymon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to percymon For This Useful Post:
Starbuck88 (12-02-2018)
Old 12-02-2018, 06:04 PM   #27
Starbuck88
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
Starbuck88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Cornwall
Posts: 3,121
Thanks: 5,037
Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,680 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by percymon View Post
Well despite the wasted day, long journey etc etc I think you actually got soem positives from the experience..

1. you know that a car at that age can potentially be sound mechanically (even when its probably been sat idle for some time)
2. 17 year old cars will have some cosmetic issues, and had paintwork - not necessarily a bad thing but a bad job isn't always recoverable without further paint
3. the electrical issues may have been cheap fixes, or fixable with reasonable cost given the low purchase price
4. You'll no doubt be a lot more wary of such traders going forward

There are decent cars out there, but buying privately from an elderly gentleman/lady is probably more wise than dodgy traders on cars of this age. Example ? https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...01802023361699

The silver 520i Msport in Essex has rust bubbling behind the rear drivers arch so that was not worth a visit, even if you had more time




If ts the blue one at EssexTradeSalesLtd then it did look OK in the photos
Yes you're right it was that one but the paintwork I convinced myself wouldn't be so bad at the time but if I'd have it sat outside my house right now...I'd be crying. It was flat, wrong colour, bloomed on the front wing and I was looking at it in the rain too, so imagine how bad it really is. (this isn't an OCD type issue, this is a, anybody who saw it would wee themselves laughing at how bad it was) It needed a full body respray.

I'm glad the rest never worked out because I'd have regretted buying it.

Just want to say too, I really want an E39 530i Sport. I shall wait for the right one...although...this looks nice...Was that instrument cluster an option?

https://www.amcarsltd.co.uk/used-car...01710180411845

Part S/H again. These are just getting so rare.

Last edited by Starbuck88; 12-02-2018 at 06:12 PM.
Starbuck88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 06:25 PM   #28
182_Blue
ADMIN
 
182_Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 35,948
Thanks: 1,398
Thanked 4,395 Times in 2,891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck88 View Post
Yes you're right it was that one but the paintwork I convinced myself wouldn't be so bad at the time but if I'd have it sat outside my house right now...I'd be crying. It was flat, wrong colour, bloomed on the front wing and I was looking at it in the rain too, so imagine how bad it really is. (this isn't an OCD type issue, this is a, anybody who saw it would wee themselves laughing at how bad it was) It needed a full body respray.

I'm glad the rest never worked out because I'd have regretted buying it.

Just want to say too, I really want an E39 530i Sport. I shall wait for the right one...although...this looks nice...Was that instrument cluster an option?

https://www.amcarsltd.co.uk/used-car...01710180411845

Part S/H again. These are just getting so rare.


Quote:
Last serviced on 15/02/2008
182_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 06:35 PM   #29
Starbuck88
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
Starbuck88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Cornwall
Posts: 3,121
Thanks: 5,037
Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,680 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 182_Blue View Post
Seem to be many of them with only part service history.
Starbuck88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 09:01 PM   #30
slim_boy_fat
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
slim_boy_fat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Scottish Highlands
Posts: 3,135
Thanks: 2,630
Thanked 1,234 Times in 1,045 Posts
"Was that instrument cluster an option?"

Known as 'high OBC if memory serves me - my 528 had it.
slim_boy_fat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to slim_boy_fat For This Useful Post:
Starbuck88 (13-02-2018)
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
DTO Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
DTO Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors