Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Lifestyle > The Motoring Zone
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Motoring Zone Just bought a car? Need advice on a car? Want to chat about cars generally? Here is the place to do it.

Old 14-02-2018, 01:42 PM   #41
percymon
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
The freebie local car papers in Sainsburys / some Asdas etc are always worth a look - not all garages int here will be on autotrader.
percymon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to percymon For This Useful Post:
Starbuck88 (14-02-2018)
Old 14-02-2018, 02:08 PM   #42
Starbuck88

Thanked 2,491 Times in 1,685 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam6er View Post
have you checked pistonheads and motors.co.uk?
Check local papers aswell as you find some real gems through there.
Yep checked them. Not done the local papers yet. New one out today so will check tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by percymon View Post
The freebie local car papers in Sainsburys / some Asdas etc are always worth a look - not all garages int here will be on autotrader.
As above, will go buy tonight and see if there is anything, will have to keep checking no doubt.

I spotted someone close to me on E39 Club UK having his E39 sport resprayed and after chatting he found a 530i Sport for £1000. In good condition, the seller just didn't know what they had. I'll never find a bargain like that!
Starbuck88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 12:23 PM   #43
Starbuck88

Garage
Well...I'll be receiving a form to fill in within the next week to provide evidence to get the £100 back.

They have suspended the £100 at the moment pending the outcome.

Trouble is....I have no evidence. So it'll pretty much be my word against theirs if they contact the seller/dealer.

Unfortunately I have no receipt for the deposit, I have no recording of the phone call where he said it was refundable holding deposit. hmmm....
Old 15-02-2018, 12:34 PM   #44
Kerr
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 6,677 Times in 4,234 Posts
Won't it simply come under The Consumer Contracts Regulations which covers what we used to call distance selling regulations?

If you paid the deposit over the phone you've got a right to pull out if the goods aren't as described once seen.

If you paid in person after viewing you'd not have a chance, but over the phone without seeing is different.
Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kerr For This Useful Post:
Starbuck88 (15-02-2018)
Old 21-02-2018, 11:37 AM   #45
Starbuck88

Garage
Well I have the forms arrive and it is 2 pages long and you fill out which section applies...but there is no section on there about goods not as described.

So will just sign and date one section I think most closely applies and add in the extra detail such as the advert for the car etc and write out the whole story for them to read.

On the plus side!

I think I have found a car! It's come from an E39 fanatic owner who cherished it to pieces, who sold it to a friend of his who's big SUV blew up and he'd had one before so bought it off him, but realises he needs the space but bought it because he loved E39s so much and though it'd be big enough but has only owned it since October.

Been chatting with the guy via FB and with what he's told me, all the story checks out.

It is quite far away again though and the only risky thing with the car, is the MOT runs out in the next couple of weeks. It does worry me a little bit but this one really sounds like I need to make the journey after chatting with the guy.

The car itself is black, with the proper 18" Parallels and this is specc'd out nicely, got satnav, electric heated seats, auto lights, wipers, sunroof, full facelift, 02 plate with 130k on the clock.

Says has full s/h with wallet full of reciepts and tax discs and apparently no rust in all the usual places. So...it should be fine.

It's going to be 'valeted' today then sending me better quality photos later.

He's been sound and said he'll hold it for me with no deposit or anything so I think there is an element of trust there.

It failed on it's last MOT with ABS light not illuminating on ignition (for it's self test) but have confirmed with him and he says it does light up and go off so that was obviously fixed. There were no advisorys for rust or anything like that on the previous MOTS.

I actually feel excited about this one. I said before, I had a strange bad gut feeling about the blue one this thread is about.

One question, it has a private plate on it. He says he can do the plate swap online at the weekend when I go to see it, is it as simple as that these days?
Old 21-02-2018, 12:09 PM   #46
Sam6er

Private reg transfers are very easy to do these days. Last time i traded in my car with a private plate on there, i was able to get it removed and old plate registered back on the car within 5 - 10 mins online.

Good luck with this one, i hope it all works out bud.

Last edited by Sam6er; 21-02-2018 at 12:13 PM.
Sam6er is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sam6er For This Useful Post:
Starbuck88 (21-02-2018)
Old 21-02-2018, 12:37 PM   #47
Starbuck88

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam6er View Post
Private reg transfers are very easy to do these days. Last time i traded in my car with a private plate on there, i was able to get it removed and old plate registered back on the car within 5 - 10 mins online.

Good luck with this one, i hope it all works out bud.
Brilliant thank you, didn't want to do the 4 hour drive to find I can't drive it back because of the plate transfer.

I am pretty excited about this! Can't wait. Black car again
Old 21-02-2018, 01:55 PM   #48
Banksy40
Sponge Jockey

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck88 View Post
Brilliant thank you, didn't want to do the 4 hour drive to find I can't drive it back because of the plate transfer.

I am pretty excited about this! Can't wait. Black car again
Everyone has camera phone now, can you not get him to do a 'virtual' walk around (facebook video type thing) before you make the trip? Get him to do a cold start, look at the paintwork, check the arches etc.
Banksy40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Banksy40 For This Useful Post:
Starbuck88 (21-02-2018)
Old 21-02-2018, 02:10 PM   #49
R5_RXK
Unwashed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck88 View Post
One question, it has a private plate on it. He says he can do the plate swap online at the weekend when I go to see it, is it as simple as that these days?

with the private plate, yes it is quick to do online. but it'll still take up to a week for the new logbook to come on the old plate. So means you wont be able to drive the car away at the weekend unless you want to take it without signing the correct logbook.

quite alot ofreading covered online:

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1517986

if you turn up, sign the logbook which has the private number plate on, he could actually loose the title to the private plate. Alternatively what are you going to sign?

Last edited by R5_RXK; 21-02-2018 at 02:19 PM.
R5_RXK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to R5_RXK For This Useful Post:
Starbuck88 (21-02-2018)
Old 21-02-2018, 02:34 PM   #50
Starbuck88

Garage
You can do the log book online now too? does that make a difference?