Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Lifestyle > The Motoring Zone
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Motoring Zone Just bought a car? Need advice on a car? Want to chat about cars generally? Here is the place to do it.

Old 21-02-2018, 02:34 PM   #51
Sam6er
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R5_RXK View Post
with the private plate, yes it is quick to do online. but it'll still take up to a week for the new logbook to come on the old plate. So means you wont be able to drive the car away at the weekend unless you want to take it without signing the correct logbook.

quite alot ofreading covered online:

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1517986

if you turn up, sign the logbook which has the private number plate on, he could actually loose the title to the private plate. Alternatively what are you going to sign?
Sorry to the OP, but a little off topic, i bought a car with a private plate on the car which i have had for over 3 years now, i never got the title to the private plate, but does this mean i own it now and can apply to DVLA for the title to the plate?
Sam6er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 02:39 PM   #52
R5_RXK
Unwashed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banksy40 View Post
Everyone has camera phone now, can you not get him to do a 'virtual' walk around (facebook video type thing) before you make the trip? Get him to do a cold start, look at the paintwork, check the arches etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam6er View Post
Sorry to the OP, but a little off topic, i bought a car with a private plate on the car which i have had for over 3 years now, i never got the title to the private plate, but does this mean i own it now and can apply to DVLA for the title to the plate?
correct as you bought the car with it on, you will be able to either put it on retention if you sell the car, or sell with the car. just apply to dvla,
R5_RXK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to R5_RXK For This Useful Post:
Sam6er (21-02-2018)
Old 21-02-2018, 03:00 PM   #53
Starbuck88

Thanked 2,499 Times in 1,690 Posts
Garage
OK I called DVLA.

They said it is just not possible to do plate change and then change of owner same day. She says as soon as the retention is done online, his paper logbook is not valid and won't have the right number on it to do the change of owner online.

So there are 2 options.

1.) Get him to do the plate change and wait for new logbook to come through and I go up the following weekend to see/get the car.

OR
2.) He trusts me to take the car with the private reg and when I get the logbook through, we sort his plate out then.

so for that 2nd option...how do you do that so it's in his name the plate? I don't understand how that works.
Starbuck88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 04:09 PM   #54
Starbuck88

Garage
OK I have spoke to the seller. He says he's going to trust me with his private plate and NOT do the retention so that we can do a proper change of ownership.
The Following User Says Thank You to Starbuck88 For This Useful Post:
slim_boy_fat (21-02-2018)
Old 21-02-2018, 04:12 PM   #55
percymon

Garage
Can you retain the private plate in his name if you are the one taking it off the vehicle ? You may be able to nominate him ?
percymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 04:48 PM   #56
Marve
PC Perfectionist

This chap seems pretty desperate to sell this car before the MOT is due in a couple of weeks...
Marve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 06:14 PM   #57
R5_RXK
Unwashed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck88 View Post
OK I have spoke to the seller. He says he's going to trust me with his private plate and NOT do the retention so that we can do a proper change of ownership.
so why is he trying to sell a car before taking off the private plate? this is one of the first things you would do when advertising a car.. Also if you sign the logbook with the private plate you'll have to insure it under that . You will then have to pay the insurance admin fee to later change the number plate. And if there any any issues DVLA end you may be lucky to even receive the new book!
R5_RXK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2018, 12:03 AM   #58
Starbuck88

Garage
Talking with the guy I think he just decided to sell and whacked it up quick on the E39 Owners Club UK page on Facebook. Maybe he wasn't expecting someone to bite so quickly. After all if it didn't sell within a couple of weeks. He'd have to MOT or Sorn it.

Some people are just...like that aren't they. Trying to read up on how to get his private plate back to him and seems plenty of people end up selling cars with private plates still on them then expecting new owners to wait for the car or leave without signing the official logbook.

So I don't know.

Ref the MOT...as long as there's no rot which I should be able to see for myself, I can check nearly everything else. Make sure it doesn't pull when braking etc lights etc. Only thing I wouldn't really be able to tell is rubber bushings on tie rods etc I guess.

If anybody could shed light on how I would get his private plate back to him, would be greatly appreciated.
Old 22-02-2018, 01:12 AM   #59
7and911
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banksy40 View Post
If its is old enough to have gone through an MOT take a look online and see where it was done.

Give the garage a call and see if they did any other work on it.
I thought DVLA recently blocked this information (location of MOT center). Do you have another website to check where the MOT was done?
7and911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2018, 10:33 AM   #60
Starbuck88

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7and911 View Post
I thought DVLA recently blocked this information (location of MOT center). Do you have another website to check where the MOT was done?
Yeah you can't see where it was done anymore.

Just reading up on it and looks like it's to do with data protection more than anything. I.E Mot Stations not being asked if this was OK and not being asked if it was OK to show their details.

Ref the car...The last MOT it failed on ABS lamp not illuminating. 100 or so miles later, it passed. I confirmed with the current seller the ABS lamp does now illuminate for the self test. It says the same date on both mots as 3rd of march but the expiry is 7th so i assume it was a quick retest on 7th of march when it took place.

Its had an advisory for an oil leak quite a few years ago but that's not been on there since etc. It's what I'd call a clean MOT history.