Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > Garage/Product Collections
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Garage/Product Collections Post your Garage or Product Collection pics here....

Old 19-10-2018, 01:25 AM   #11
Demented
Sponge Jockey

Maybe the technology has improved but check on the locking mechanism.
A friend had one fitted and he was disappointed, that to operate it by remote, the door couldn't actually be locked shut.
When closed by remote, the door could still be opened manually.
Demented is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2018, 05:36 AM   #12
GP Punto
Orbital Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingswood View Post
cheers, has it been fitted and did it work ok?

thanks for all the other imput. interesting about the power cut issue, thats the only entry/exit and the fuse box is in the garage :-/

suppose id just have to risk th epower cut as pretty sure i cld get in with no power
We are in the same situation, a modern fuse box on the garage wall. The fuses seem to be a bit sensitive as compared to the old wire type, around 3 times a year a fuse goes - once a fuse tripped just for a failed light bulb - last year we only had one power cut which lasted 40 minutes, another the main fuse tripped and I was sat here like a numpty assuming it was an area power cut. No clue as to why the main fuse tripped.

Must say that the missus really appreciates the electric door, her car is in the garage. Didnt enjoy getting out of the car to close the garage door when it was pouring down.

Other plus points are that that the new door is insulated and that makes a real difference to the warmth in the garage and also no more painting doors!
GP Punto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2018, 10:17 AM   #13
biggriff
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Just had a heavy duty motor fitted for just over £400. Door is 15' wide. Needed an additional circuit breaker in the garage and didn't want a UPS so put in an emergency key.
biggriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2018, 06:28 PM   #14
Aletank
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggriff View Post
Just had a heavy duty motor fitted for just over £400. Door is 15' wide. Needed an additional circuit breaker in the garage and didn't want a UPS so put in an emergency key.
I'm on the look out for a new motor for my 3.1m Cardale Thermaglide after 14 years.
Is £400 supply & fit ?
Thanks
Aletank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2018, 06:31 PM   #15
shl-kelso
Orbital Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aletank View Post
I'm on the look out for a new motor for my 3.1m Cardale Thermaglide after 14 years.

Is £400 supply & fit ?

Thanks

I bought a new tubular motor from Ebay and fitted it myself when my original Thermaglide motor failed. I only needed basic tools (drill to remove the rivets holding the old motor in the tube and countersink not for cutting recesses for the self tapping screws I used to fix the new motor rather than buying. rover gun).

It was a pretty straight forward process that took me a couple of hours from start to finish.
shl-kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shl-kelso For This Useful Post:
Aletank (19-10-2018)
Old 19-10-2018, 07:36 PM   #16
Bustanut
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingswood View Post
cheers, has it been fitted and did it work ok?

thanks for all the other imput. interesting about the power cut issue, thats the only entry/exit and the fuse box is in the garage :-/

suppose id just have to risk th epower cut as pretty sure i cld get in with no power
Yes & yes, worked fine.
Bustanut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bustanut For This Useful Post:
Aletank (19-10-2018)
Old 08-11-2018, 09:25 PM   #17
A18XVM
PC Perfectionist

Garage
I got a Horman electric garage door with two remotes for less than £1k installed. The door was made to fit so the big frame was removed giving me extra width and height. It's also a lot warmer in there now and no damp.

A18XVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 10:06 PM   #18
calw123
Sponge Jockey

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by A18XVM View Post
I got a Horman electric garage door with two remotes for less than £1k installed. The door was made to fit so the big frame was removed giving me extra width and height. It's also a lot warmer in there now and no damp.

when did you get this done just wondering if that price is still relevant as thats what im looking at getting fitted ?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
calw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 11:30 PM   #19
A18XVM
PC Perfectionist

Garage
It was about three years ago so to be honest it would probably be more now. I would definitely recommend Hormann though. The installer put in inside the brickwork instead of outside so the less than 25mm of frame meaning I got the full width. A lot more height too. I'm not sure I'm allowed to recommend the company. Not sure if the rules.
A18XVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 07:56 AM   #20
Hawker1986
Unwashed Member

I used a local garage door company to fit two motors to our up and over doors when we bought our house. They cost about £600 for both of them. Work perfectly and get lots of use.
Re the power going out, they fitted a thing so under those circumstances you can release the motor and push the door open...I imagine you could get one. Weve had it happen once in the last 2 years and it was good we had the option! Wouldn't work on roller though.
Hawker1986 is offline   Reply With Quote