Detailing World Forum banner

Audi A6 Avant

7K views 23 replies 20 participants last post by  streaky 
#1 ·
A friend asked me to give his car a once over. He'd bought it and the supplying dealer ad tried to sort out the paint. Errrr, right. Subsequently, a scratch on the front wing was fixed, and another local bodyshop reckoned the paint was unsalvageable and parts would need a full repaint.

Naturally, I love a challenge, so the gauntlet was thrown down. Not many pics, but this will hopefully gove you an idea.

Steps taken;

Washed and clayed. Meguairs shampoo and Bilt Hamber soft clay
Correction. Using a mix of Rupes Bigfoot and 3M rotary. Cutting pads from Rupes Zvizzer and 3M and polishing and finishing pads the same companies.
LSP. Collinite fleetwax on paintwork and Gyeon wet coat on the wheels. Megs endurance gloss on the tyres

Befores;

During the correction, polish and refine stages;

Not many decent afters, but hopefully you'll get the idea;

I know it might not look it , but this was a good 2 day sort out of some truly terrible paint. We avoided a visit to the body shop and my friend was chuffed with the results. That's all that matters really. :thumb:

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks. :thumb:

Did take paint readings and the offside rear three quarter, both front wings and nearside rear door had seen paint in the past. The rest was original. The offside rear three quarter was the main panel thst 'needed paint' according to the body shop. Apparently they had tried to rectify it. Muppets.

#12 ·
After hunting for a used car recently I was shocked at the paintwork of some nearly new cars. I thought the £4 car wash guys were bad but some main dealerships left me wondering what grit wet and dry they’d used to clean the cars. You’ve done a sterling job on that and I hope you’ve been suitably fed and watered in return

#14 ·
After hunting for a used car recently I was shocked at the paintwork of some nearly new cars. I thought the £4 car wash guys were bad but some main dealerships left me wondering what grit wet and dry they'd used to clean the cars. You've done a sterling job on that and I hope you've been suitably fed and watered in return
I watched an employee of a large car dealer in Belfast placing a chamois leather on the ground, power washing it, then turning it over, power washing that side, then he picked it up and used it on a car. Unbelievable.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

#21 ·
Thanks everyone. The owner was/is very happy with it. As suspected, the bodyshop was fishing for work, which is poor form, but pretty common these days. I guess their view was why do a simple polish and refine, when you can charge hundreds for a respray?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.