Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > General Off Topic > Off Topic Chat
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 13-03-2018, 09:08 PM   #21
SteveTDCi
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 2,329 Times in 2,035 Posts
Pay £5 for this when you come back

http://www.stanstedairport.com/at-th...ity-fasttrack/
SteveTDCi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2018, 10:08 PM   #22
Alex29
Sponge Jockey

Hi mate.

I’ve been to New York twice, unfortunately never to Newark but to JFK.

Depending on the airline, you may already have one checked bag included in your ticket price. If you don’t, I would suggest booking it in advance as it can with some airlines cost more to do once you’re at the airport.

In terms of spending in the US, I took card and cash last time. Card I used mainly for at the hotel as they ask to hold x amount of money in case of any incidentals. I used a debit card for this.

All cabs through NYC take either cash or card. Remember in the states they’re pretty big on tipping so remember this when paying for things. In cabs I tend to tip 15% or as near as damn it. Restaurants 20%. I downloaded a tipping app called GlobeTipping which is handy at working out what the new total is after tip. Just check when you get the bill in any restaurant that it might already include the tip.

Cabs are the easiest way to get about Manhattan. Not exactly cheap, but plentiful. To be honest it’s fairly easy to walk places that aren’t too far, really difficult to get lost with the grid system. Pick up a map from either the airport as you land or hotel lobby. This link helps with cab costs http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/pas...l#AirportTrips

In regards to generally travelling, my best advice would be give yourself plenty of time. There’s nothing worse than rushing. Keep your passport and travel documents close and somewhere easily accessible as it saves rooting deep into your bag when you get to a gate.

You’ll need your passport as you drop your bag off in the airport, and any flight voucher or boarding pass you may have printed off if you checked in online. If you can’t check in online, they will give you your boarding pass once you’ve dropped your bags. To find out where to drop your bags check the screens in the departures hall for your flight number and that’ll tell you what zone or number to drop your bags off.

Once you’ve dropped your bags off you can make your way through security. You will need your boarding pass to get into the security area, then you get to the bit where you put your bags on the conveyor belt and through the scanner. I always empty my pockets into my bag and put my belt into the tray they give you too. You won’t need your passport etc at this point so feel free to put this into your hand luggage bag again. Once through security you’ll have a bit of time to kill before your flight. Duty free shops aren’t any cheaper than shopping online unless you want cigarettes or tobacco. As you’re flying out of the EU you’re welcome to purchase these from the airport. Be warned whatever you buy in the pre flight area they tend to ask for your boarding pass, even if it’s just a bottle of water so be prepared for this...

In Manhattan itself it’s honestly a weird experience. I don’t know where you are based, but I find it much less daunting than London and the people friendlier too. There are a few nutters about as there are most places. I went over thanksgiving last year and some crazy guy aimed a kick at my head then stood there shadow boxing towards me at a crossing. Just ignore them.

You might find people come up to you and offer CDs or guys dressed as monks offer you gold amulet things. Just be polite but firm and decline them, if you take them they’ll start harassing you for money. It doesn’t happen all that often but I just thought I’d make you aware. Especially as the Rockefeller Centre is a main tourist area where they’ll prey on people.

While you’re at the Rockefeller, I’d recommend the top of the rock experience. I’ve done Empire State and this, and the views from top of the rock are better.

What else are you planning to do while in NYC? Are you staying in Manhattan itself or further afield? Happy to help if I can.

All the best,

Alex
Alex29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2018, 10:11 PM   #23
macca666
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,697 Times in 1,052 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean-my-sxi View Post
Ive never actually ever needed a credit card tbh, but was thinking of geting one for the trip, though im sure debit cards can pretty much be used everywhere now anyway.

Yep esta sorted,

Not sure on how much cash to carry
Just be careful as many cards will now charge for foreign transactions. Although my debit card can be used abroad there are foreign transaction charges which bump up the price. I've got a Post Office credit card as they don't charge for foreign transactions.

Your bank will be able to confirm for you if they levy any additional charges.

Also and this is only in my experience if you do pay by card for anything a lot of places will offer you a GBP amount or a US$ amount I've always found you get a better rate with your card so choose the amount in dollars.
macca666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2018, 10:17 PM   #24
Alex29
Sponge Jockey

Oh as pxr5 says, they don’t have a sense of humour through immigration, nor do they really have time to answer any questions. When I was there over thanksgiving I went over into Canada and their immigration control are fine, but the states are real strict and take no crap. When you go through you’ll have to have your fingerprints taken, and a photo too.

They’ll ask you what you plan to do on your trip, where you’re staying etc so it’ll be handy to remember the first line of your hotels address. Not to mention you’ll have to put this on the landing card you’ll fill out on the plane. Write it down before you go if you don’t have it written on any of the paperwork you’ll take with you. I just said I’m here to do some shopping, see the sights, I’ve got x experience booked to do and they’re fine with that. My girlfriend came through after me and they asked if she was with me, then basically asked her to corroborate my story. Just to make sure we are both on the same page. It’s not anything to worry about just something to bare in mind that they do come across as pretty rude. But if you think back to 9/11 it’s probably in their job description to be hardasses now!
Old 13-03-2018, 11:12 PM   #25
Naddy37
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 2,233 Times in 1,598 Posts
Quote:
Flying from stanstead to newark

Primiera air

Dont think they offer check in online

Wasnt sure about the bag thing tbh, didnt really get why you can add it online, is it just so you dont have to pay at the airport to speed up process
Stansted isnt too bad. It’s all on one level, assuming of course if you’re being dropped at the ‘drop off zone’ If not, and parking in either of the car parks, as opposed to Mid/Long Stay, then it’s just a simple one floor up in the lift.
Naddy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2018, 11:17 AM   #26
bradleymarky

Thanked 1,352 Times in 961 Posts
Can i ask how old you are OP.
bradleymarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2018, 03:41 PM   #27
Clean-my-sxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleymarky View Post
Can i ask how old you are OP.
35 and my first plane

Thanks evryone for the advice, im staying opposite rockafella, planning to do statue of liberty , the crown, which ive already booked

Empire state, top of the rock, maybe one world tower, not sure if all of them are needed

Obviously some shopping, central park, high line park, bridges

Seen a nfl experience at times square that could be interesting to look into

Would like to see a game, nfl, nba, nhl but not looked into that yet

Tbh id also like to find a car store to see what detailing bits are over there but i cant imagine any being in manhattan
Clean-my-sxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2018, 03:45 PM   #28
Clean-my-sxi

And get married , forgot that almost
Clean-my-sxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2018, 06:21 PM   #29
Alex29
Sponge Jockey

Quote:
35 and my first plane

Thanks evryone for the advice, im staying opposite rockafella, planning to do statue of liberty , the crown, which ive already booked

Empire state, top of the rock, maybe one world tower, not sure if all of them are needed

Obviously some shopping, central park, high line park, bridges

Seen a nfl experience at times square that could be interesting to look into

Would like to see a game, nfl, nba, nhl but not looked into that yet

Tbh id also like to find a car store to see what detailing bits are over there but i cant imagine any being in manhattan
I wouldn’t hold out much hope for finding a car store. Besides from Target bear to Macy’s, there’s not really anywhere that even sells general items except from the 7 11s.

Opposite the Rockefeller is pretty well placed for most things. Central Park is huge and you’d need a good few hours to explore it properly. If you’re going to do a horse and carriage ride, do some research first as there’s a family run one which are very good, but the ones you’ll see all parked up are known for really ripping you off. If you pre book with the family business (who’s name I sadly can’t remember) they’re really well reviewed.

If you’re doing the Statue of Liberty I’d recommend getting down to battery park early. We prebooked a town car from the hotel lobby which was reasonable and turned up on time and got us down there easily. You could catch a cab but our hotel did a set rate thing which worked out good. You can search for nyc taxi fare calculator which will give you a good idea of cab cost.

But yes, there’s about 2 sets of security you have to go through to get onto the ferry over to the statue, and it is pretty slow. We caught the first ferry over and it was still busy then.

The stairs from the pedestal up to the crown are hard work, but it’s pretty cool when you get to the top. It should be warm when you go but if you have a jumper on I’d recommend taking it off before you start walking up, I was ridiculously sweaty for our photos up the top!

If I had to choose between top of the rock and Empire State, top of the rock I’d choose. The one world trade is worth going to to just see the fountains and memorial for the world trade centres.

If you go shopping in Bloomingdales you can get a tourist discount if you go to the customer service desk which I’m sure just avoids the sales tax from memory.

Macy’s is bloody difficult to find your way around first of all. Not sure if they offer a discount but it’s worth asking. We never bothered as we went Black Friday time and pre Christmas sale time the time before so lots of sales on anyway.

Places to eat, fast food places Wendy’s is the best I tried. Their fries are really good!
The Following User Says Thank You to Alex29 For This Useful Post:
macca666 (14-03-2018)
Old 14-03-2018, 07:22 PM   #30
macca666

Thanked 1,697 Times in 1,052 Posts
Garage
Further to the last post Macy's will still do the international visitor discount which is 10% though it's not off everything. Tax is 8.25% I think so you get slightly more than the tax I think Bloomingdales is the same.

If you're doing the statue of liberty you'll probably need to pre book it so I'd look at that before you go
macca666 is offline   Reply With Quote