Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Lifestyle > The Motoring Zone
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Motoring Zone Just bought a car? Need advice on a car? Want to chat about cars generally? Here is the place to do it.

Old 23-03-2018, 08:41 PM   #11
Vossman
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

In theory it would be so easy to jack one of these driverless cars IF they become a feature on any road, they will be designed to stop if a pedestrian walks in front of it (well, some of them will stop) and as long as you stand there the car won't move, can you imagine the chaos, not to mention the fun that kids would have with these things, no longer throwing rocks at cars, just hijack one instead. There will be parts for them easily available on the bay
We are many years off completely driverless vehicles, law suits could easily wipe out the biggest companies if there are enough of them. I already think that all electric vehicles should be fitted with a beeper for speeds under 30 mph .. I have had the crap scared out of me a few times by these electric guzzling machines
Vossman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vossman For This Useful Post:
Soul boy 68 (23-03-2018)
Old 25-03-2018, 10:52 PM   #12
mp3turbo
Sponge Jockey

... and thousands of other questions.

>>The driver was looking downwards just prior to the accident. As soon as his eyes lift the shock is there.

exactly. She was not paying attention, she looked through front glass only when there was some last-millisecond ding-ding from that stupid autonomous thingy. Too late. Someone had to die.

>> I also think the quality of the footage of the accident is suspect. Is it a poor quality video or a poor quality upload of the video, but I've never seen lights on a car where something is only visible just yards in front of the bonnet.

absolutely. Moreover, I think it was XC90 or some new ubercar like that - they have brilliant, seriously brilliant lights. Automatic high beams, so-wide-beam-you-just-can't-describe, they are freaking crazy.

I was not there and it's impossible to judge by this video, especially given "the quality". I feel something has been faked here, in sake of not blaming autonomous technology so much. Seriously. I'm not conspirator type of person, don't know who killed Kennedy but my 2001 Ford Galaxy has much better halogens than the thing showed here without a doubt.

>> Not crossing at a designated crossing place? What, like millions of people all around the world do every day? These systems are supposed to be far better than humans at avoiding accidents,

bingo. Where's freaking thermal camera ? Motion detector ? What if this would happen on designated pedestrian crossing ? Where's any guarantee it CAN NOT happen ?
The freaking last thing I don't need in my life is police calling me "You know, Mr.Turbo, your kids have been crossing the road unfortunately when..."
Let's wait for conclusion of investigation and further details, one thing is for sure - there will be many other lives claimed before we realize it's not as good as some "visionaries" want the stupid public to believe.

And I'm really looking forward to "who goes to jail" game. XC90 ? You bad bad car, that's twelve years for you. Fat lady behind the wheel ? You bad bad lady, you were not paying attention ? Uber ? You bad bad Uber, you caused death ?

If someone wants to be the nice guy, why the hell they allow cars to drive 100mph in city ? Human responsible. Hooray. So many lives have been lost due to reckless relentless driving / speeding. Why the heck can drunk person drive a car ? There are so many symptoms and technical ways how to disable a person with "below the limit reactions" to drive a car... how to recognize he's not fresh.

This would save so many lives on its own !! yeah, I know - it's called THE SALES. So many people would not buy "so clever" cars - it would hurt the sales. That's the only reason why.

Last edited by mp3turbo; 25-03-2018 at 10:57 PM.
mp3turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mp3turbo For This Useful Post:
Soul boy 68 (26-03-2018)
Old 25-03-2018, 11:54 PM   #13
weedougall78
Washmitt Meister

Garage
She didn't seem to be in a hurry to avoid the headlights coming towards her.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
weedougall78 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to weedougall78 For This Useful Post:
Soul boy 68 (26-03-2018)
Old 26-03-2018, 12:49 PM   #14
Starbuck88

Thanked 2,300 Times in 1,577 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry_p View Post
The videos (at least the ones I have seen on mainstream media ) don't show the actual impact at all. Until I saw it I had completely misunderstood the incident from the reports I had read.

Not crossing at a designated crossing place? What, like millions of people all around the world do every day? These systems are supposed to be far better than humans at avoiding accidents, if they can't look out for something as simple as someone crossing the road away from a crossing are they really ready to mix on the same roads?
True but in most states in the US you can get a hefty fine for doing just that. Don't believe it should have resulted in the loss of life though. Not having seen the video I was just quoting what others have said on news sites etc. Mostly that the person crossed the road on a dangerous corner where most would not hence the importance of using a proper crossing in such a situation.

I agree the car should still have seen her, in my post I did say the car should have been better than the human in avoiding this incident.

After seeing your pics though, of what it'd more look like to the naked eye...how on earth did this happen.

Did the software lag? Did it just not detect? I wonder if we'll see a report from the manufacturer of the technical details too see how exactly it missed detecting a person and bike (bigger object).
Starbuck88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2018, 01:40 PM   #15
Kerr
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 6,443 Times in 4,128 Posts
The news today is the female driver was streaming a TV show at the time of the impact.

The police said the accident would have been "entirely avoidable" if she had been looking. She will now likely face manslaughter charges.

I can't believe anyone would be that stupid. It just shows how much people are willing to trust driving aids and technology. Even technology that isn't really proven to be trustworthy.
Kerr is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kerr For This Useful Post:
Starbuck88 (22-06-2018)
Old 22-06-2018, 02:05 PM   #16
Starbuck88

Thanked 2,300 Times in 1,577 Posts
Garage
Very sad and completely avoidable.

Always the same with new things, people take advantage, be careless, things end up worse off for it and this case some poor soul paid the ultimate price.

Shouldn't have self driving cars until the tech is far far far far more advanced.
Starbuck88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2018, 02:52 PM   #17
Shiny
DW Forum Sponsor

Thanked 3,050 Times in 1,898 Posts
Garage
I caught the end of TV programme recently and they were testing "autonomous" vehicles with Thatcham. Can't remember what it was now.

First test was following traffic which broke hard, the car then broke hard too. 2nd test was a car in front changing lanes because there was a stationary car, the autonomous vehicle just ploughed into the parked car.

They said that the biggest issue is that some cars are being marketed and sold as autonomous, when they are all actually driver assisted.

There are no autonomous cars on the road and there won't be for some time yet, but manufacturers aren't taking into account there are far too many stupid people on this planet who will sit in the back of their Tesla because they believed that it could drive itself.

Shiny is offline   Reply With Quote