Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 13-09-2012, 07:03 PM   #1
ted11
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,676 Times in 1,045 Posts
Garage
(NEW UPDATES)1963 Mercedes 230 SL W113 Tidy Up (NEW UPDATES)

Hello every one, One of my good friends Jonas recently purchased this little gem to add to his collection.
This car had won numerous Concours events during the 1980`s but had not been shown since and was used on sunny days by its previous owner and although it has been very well looked after the car was in need of a little bit of love to bring it back to its former glory.
So my intension's are to go round the car to identify any issues and correct those and when these are taken care of we will finish it of with a full detail.
Here is the car

Last edited by ted11; 06-01-2018 at 08:15 PM. Reason: resuming work on this vehicle
ted11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ted11 For This Useful Post:
Brigham1806 (02-10-2012), elfuego (05-02-2013), MidlandsCarCare (20-09-2012), Naranto (14-09-2012)
Old 13-09-2012, 07:14 PM   #2
Will ST
Washmitt Meister

Ted,

Have you not learn't yet, look what happened last night you went near a Mercedes ! ! !

I'm looking forward to this one also

Will
Will ST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2012, 07:24 PM   #3
ted11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will ST View Post
Ted,

Have you not learn't yet, look what happened last night you went near a Mercedes ! ! !

I'm looking forward to this one also

Will
your right, its happening again, lol
Old 13-09-2012, 07:42 PM   #4
ted11

Garage
Well I have had a look around the car, here are some of the issues to be dealt with.
Whats this around the headlamp

wheel trims the wrong colour

Suspension requires painting

Inner arches well protected but dont look very good

Brake pads require replacement so might as well tidy the calipers up at the same time

Looking at the reflection in the front bumper notice bad repair in front panel

lets see what other issues arise along the way.
Old 13-09-2012, 08:29 PM   #5
stangalang
king of the flexonian

Thanked 10,498 Times in 4,900 Posts
Garage
Great car, will be stunning when finished
stangalang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stangalang For This Useful Post:
ted11 (14-09-2012)
Old 13-09-2012, 08:36 PM   #6
Russ and his BM

Oi, thought you retired after that 190sl!

(Glad you didn't!)
Russ and his BM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2012, 08:40 PM   #7
davstt
Orbital Oracle

very nice
davstt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to davstt For This Useful Post:
ted11 (14-09-2012)
Old 13-09-2012, 08:47 PM   #8
liam99
Orbital Oracle

Looking forward to another great thread.
liam99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to liam99 For This Useful Post:
ted11 (14-09-2012)
Old 13-09-2012, 09:06 PM   #9
ted11

Garage
Well I started with the headlamp bowls (wish I hadnt) someone had done some work to the front wings at some time or other but could not get the headlamps to line up with the bolt holes so using all the skills they had obviously built up over years and years (working on lawn mowers probably) they decided it would be a great idea to splodge loads of body filler onto the head lamp and then push it in the hole, tape it up over night and Bobs your uncle as good as new.
My Gran dad told me there were people who do this sort of thing when I was a kid and I think I have seen evidence of it on virtually every car I have worked on since, any way that isnt the best of it someone at a later date has repainted the wings and just masked up to the chrome surround (to much trouble to undo one screw).
This is going to become an issue later on but for now I am going to try to get the headlamps to fit correctly (using screws, no less).
Now I would really like to be able to get the lamps to fit without damaging the paint on the wings but I am not sure I will get away with it, so decided to go at the filler very carefully with a razor blade removing a bit at a time until it was back to the wings,then very carefully using 1000 grit wet and dry rubbed what was left of the filler back to what I guessed was about rite, Wrong, after scraping body filler from the headlamps for about an hour and a half I offered the headlamps into their holes to find that the shape of the wings was completely wrong, so now I needed a re think, well after pondering for a while I decided that it was going to be impossible to reshape the wings and bowls without damaging the paint so although this now meant that the wings would have to have paint there was no way I was going to bodge the lights in as before so now I had made my decision I thought sod it lets start another job instead (I was fed up of looking at the bowls ) so a change of scenery was needed so in my wisdom I thought lets have an easy job for a few days then go back to the lamps.
I decided I would tidy up the inner arches (big mistake) the minute that I looked for the bolt heads for the **** shield and found they where buried in 40 years of under seal there was that little man in my head again saying its all got to come off, we will need one of these then

Well for the first 2 layers it was great until it hit some sort of rubberized material that thought it would be great if it just clogged the brush up every 30 seconds and on top of that if I speeded the tool up it just started to melt the rubber and just push it to the side of the brush the cool down and go hard again (well I wasnt expecting that) right out with the Nitromors (im taking no prisoners now) I might as well of threw cold water at it for the good the Nitromors did, then I clicked the car must have the same material on it as the space shuttle lol, any way joking apart I ended up using a heat gun, gas blow torch and scraper and the last 3 days of my life but at least when the dark comes I go in my garage and start refurbishing the parts that I have removed

used up my photo limit for today, so more tomorrow
Old 13-09-2012, 09:08 PM   #10
ted11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ and his BM View Post
Oi, thought you retired after that 190sl!

(Glad you didn't!)
so did I, but not doing any major jobs any more and working from home.