Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Technical > Machine Polishing
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Machine Polishing Need help with Machine polishing

Old 26-10-2017, 09:03 AM   #11
stangalang
king of the flexonian

Thanked 10,252 Times in 4,842 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SadlyDistracted View Post
The North, LA12, seems to be a bit of a detailer dessert, nearest folks from the sponsors list Deadeye , 65 miles and Obsidian100 miles away :-(

So I'm left wondering what a good polishing (swirl removal) runs to £££ wise for a very clean Carbon Black metallic BMW 5 series, it's not a show car its a bit of a daily/weekly driver, but will be kept very clean. Just trying to ball park it, appreciating it'll be a guestimate unseen
S.
Right away I can give you a pretty precise estimate of £500. I don't personally single stage black bmw's where ever possible. Reliably hard and compromise don't mix. The owner is usually underwhelmed with the results and a detailer always wants more.
So 2 stages of machining, basic things like glass cleaned and tyres dressed, with a complimentary interior valet is all we would be talking about. Similar to the recent z4 I did.
stangalang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stangalang For This Useful Post:
suspal (26-10-2017)
Old 26-10-2017, 01:06 PM   #12
pxr5
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Would a pro-detailer just do the polishing stages.

Say, if I were to do all the cleaning/decon stages and then apply my own LSP afterwards. Or is that a wrong way to look at it, in that the detailer would want ensure everything was done correctly and carry out the full process.
pxr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 01:50 PM   #13
suspal
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 4,066 Times in 3,294 Posts
Product Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caledoniandream View Post
I feel your pain, but it’s a very difficult subject.
I too don't have an idea what a decent detail would cost, and would it be worth it.
Some of the stuff here posted by the professionals, is absolute amazing and more an artform than a job.
Would it cost £ 250, £ 150, or maybe £ 500 a day, I don't know, would be nice to have an inclination, but how are you going to compare?
The boy around the corner probably buffs your car and wax it for £100 in 4-5 hours, if you happy with it, then everybody happy.
If you have a look at many the cars straight from the dealer, then I would not even willing to pay £25 for the job, but I can assume that 90% of the British car buyers are totally happy with that.
It’s a bit like engineering, we can give you an estimate, but we won’t quote on new developments, as you come always across something that request a little bit more time to make it perfect.
A lot of detailers can do a good job, some a very good job, and very few a perfect job (inside the constraints of the base where they work from, e.g. thin paint, deep scratches etc.)
I guess the pricing follows the same constrains.
And again, what are you aiming for? Absolute perfection, or a good result?
I'm not going to ask any personal questions like what is your hourly rate,I'd imagine it's above the minimum wage,as a craftsman take a car sprayer/bodyshop self employed professional for instance charges say £35 an hour x 10 hrs per day and takes 4 days to repair that's £700 out of that he/she has all their overheads to pay i.e N,I,TAX ,LIABILITY/INSURANCE,UTILITY BILLS, and that's before taking into account consumables like cloths,tape,pads,applicators ,and then the products used.
People forget these things because they may confuse it with a hobby/passion they may share with the detailing side of things,and forget that pro detailers run a business and businesses do tend to make a profit,and out of the above figure they need to provide a living for their family and also replace equipment and products,so the question is,is it a fare asking price?
The amount of times I've seen weekend warriors and hobbiests say they're back is broken and the body aches and then wonder how pro detailers do detailing day in day out.
Well ask any pro detailer if they have a bad back and I'd say everyone would say yes,the works hard very hard so these people need to be compensated for the work they do.
So by having the work carried out for whatever reason,everyone has to weigh up the cost against value,I know when I was fit an able,for the majority of those people who came to me wanting a pre sale detail got their full asking price so was it worth it to they they can say,and for those who had there vehicals detailed could'nt thank me enough,and for those who had accidental spills or other biological upsets couldn't have been more appreciative,as most folks stomachs would churn just smelling these bio hazards,so the questuon of value and worth is solely down to the individual as for most things in life.
This isn't a pop at anyone but just a jolt to put thing into perspective and reality I'm stonned and no offence intended.
suspal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2017, 09:42 AM   #14
Blackwatch
Orbital Oracle

I will be adding my name to the list in the North ( covering Yorkshire ) as soon as I can afford to pay the DW sponsor fee. unfortunately I have just had a massively expensive 3 months personally where if it could break, blow up or fail it has , so funds are at an all time low.
Blackwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2017, 09:48 AM   #15
Blackwatch
Orbital Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxr5 View Post
Would a pro-detailer just do the polishing stages.

Say, if I were to do all the cleaning/decon stages and then apply my own LSP afterwards. Or is that a wrong way to look at it, in that the detailer would want ensure everything was done correctly and carry out the full process.
Personally I prefer to do a customers car from the first stage to the last. Then, if needs be, I would explain to the customer how to maintain the cars appearance. Some people already know, however the amount of times I have spent 2 or 3 days correcting someones car, only to be asked if they are ok to wash it with a bucket and sponge once every two months and expect it to stay looking great is beyond me....
Blackwatch is offline   Reply With Quote