Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Tools -Machine polishers, Pressure Washers, Detailing Equipment & Microfiber
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tools -Machine polishers, Pressure Washers, Detailing Equipment & Microfiber Sponsored by Detailed Clean : www.DetailedClean.co.uk – | Bilt Hamber | Dodo Juice | Nanolex | Sonus | Wolfs Chemicals + More | Loyalty Scheme Discounts |

Old 06-01-2018, 10:10 PM   #1
charlie20vt
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Grit gaurd

hi people

I’m looking at changing my grit guards as they are getting abut old and tired I have seen these chemical guys cyclone guards look interesting

Also I’m interested in doubling up guards to make the wash more safe thinking of getting 2 more normal wash grit gaurds and putting a cyclone gaurd on top with normal grit gaurd on the bottom then zip tie them to make them strong

Has anyone done this before and is it effective

I know Todd Cooperider has done this by doubling up the standard grit gaurds in the 2 buckets just not really seen cyclone and standard gaurd together in one bucket before

Thanks
Charlie a
charlie20vt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 10:37 PM   #2
Dunney
Sponge Jockey

Not sure what the benefits would be like but if you were going to do anything I would put the cyclone one on the bottom, the way they work if the grit goes through the holes then it won't come back up - the only issue with them would be bigger bits of grit which dont fit through the holes in the cyclone guard would maybe get caught by the standard grit guard.
Dunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 12:34 AM   #3
Mcpx

I have tried both styles of grit guard and I have tried them stacked, each style and combination does have benefits but there are also drawbacks to each.

The normal style of grit guard are good at containing larger particles while the cyclones are better with finer grit. The funnels in the cyclone design are actually quite small to prevent the bits from coming back up through, but this does also mean that larger debris does not go down in the first place. The more traditional design does allow particles of all sizes to go through, but the relative openness does mean that when the water is agitated the finer bits can (and do) come back up into your water.

Stacking one on top of the other would then seem to be the solution, however be aware that this does actually take up a significant portion of space at the bottom of your bucket leaving both less room to get your mitt or pad fully submerged and bringing it closer to the dirt captured within the guards, meaning that it is more likely to be circulated back up into the top part of the bucket when agitated. Also, due to the design of the CG version which sits on several larger funnels around the edge in order to lift the smaller main funnels off the floor of the bucket, they do not sit well on top of a standard design guard.

Your wash technique is also an important factor in the effectiveness of any grit guard you use. Some people say you should ‘scrub’ the wash media across the guard to remove particles from it but I believe this only serves to unnecessarily agitate the contaminated water and circulate it back up into the cleaner water at the top. Just remember that grit guards basically work on gravity and only capture particles that sink down into them, so first of all it is important that you rinse your mitt (always shaken, not stirred!) as close to the top of the bucket as you can and give the contaminates time to sink down, and secondly that once they are there, you try not to disturb them.

So what do I do? Well now I just use the cyclones on their own. Why? Because after spending an unhealthy amount of time examining the bottom of dirty buckets I have found that as long as you have a robust and effective prewash routine all that should be left on the car by the time you get to a bucket wash is the smaller type particles, which the cyclones are better at capturing, all too evident by the fine silt I am left with once the buckets are emptied, but again, with a decent prewash and regular maintenance, any dirt left in the buckets should be minimal anyway.

Hope this helps.
Mcpx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mcpx For This Useful Post:
ENEP (07-01-2018), Rodriguez (07-01-2018), TOGWT (07-01-2018)
Old 07-01-2018, 02:18 PM   #4
neilmcl

I use the cyclones and they work really well, no real need to stack these, in fact I think it might adversely effect the way they are designed to work. Also I only use one in the rinse bucket, if you're using it correctly then there shouldn't really be a need to have one in the wash bucket as well.
neilmcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 02:28 PM   #5
matty.13
PC Perfectionist

I use a cyclone in my rinse bucket and a grit card in my wash bucket . I defiantly rate the cyclone at keeping the grit and dirt and dirt at the bottom of the bucket .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
matty.13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 03:12 PM   #6
charlie20vt

Thanks people can the cyclone be used with this washboard as I have a wash boards

https://www.professionaldetailingpro...uard-washboard
Old 07-01-2018, 04:12 PM   #7
Mcpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie20vt View Post
Thanks people can the cyclone be used with this washboard as I have a wash boards

https://www.professionaldetailingpro...uard-washboard
No, completely incompatible design
Mcpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 07:38 PM   #8
charlie20vt

double stack grit gaurd
What Todd Cooperider recommends but the old style grit gaurds

http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...4-wash-method/
Old 08-01-2018, 05:07 PM   #9
JamesRS5
Washmitt Meister

Garage
I use a double stack Grit Guard in the rinse bucket and a single in my wash bucket, I think that’s more than enough.
JamesRS5 is offline   Reply With Quote