Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Waxes, Sealants & Paint Protection
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Waxes, Sealants & Paint Protection Sponsored by DODO JUICE Light Fantastic , Banana Armour, Orange Crush, Rainforest Rub, Purple Haze - www.dodojuice.com

Old 05-11-2018, 01:46 AM   #1
Bulkhead
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Fusso coat failing in the heat?

I light of the recent hot UK summer I'd thought I'd see if anyone has experienced the same thing with Fusso dark. Mine's been on for around 8 months and I've had to re-coat the roof twice as it looked like it had failed. The whole car was prepped properly and had the same IPA wipedown. Everywhere else on the car is fine but for some reason the roof loses all beading at the front. I'm mindful that beading is not a sure indication of failure but it beads like crazy when first applied and the rest of the car still does. Temps have been around 30-40 degrees with little rain. Always washed carefully with BTBM but apart from the dust it doesn't get too dirty. I've seen longer durability with Dodo SNH in the past and thought this should be better.
Bulkhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 09:12 AM   #2
shelton
Washmitt Meister

Any wax can melt or soften in hot conditions, and then some dust may embed into the surface of the wax and disrupt the hydrophobic properties. The wax is still there, it hasn't come off or broken down, just the embedded dirt (maybe invisible) has changed the surface structure.

The good thing about Fusso Coat is that it is very resistant to detergent, so you can usually wash quite thoroughly to remove the top layer along with the dirt, without accidentally removing all the wax. Then after a shampoo and scrub, the hydrophobicity returns.

Actually, this is true for any wax.
Ordinary wax too, doesn't "fail" or really disappear just by driving around for a couple of weeks, it just gets clogged with dirt and loses that hydrophobicity. Unfortunately with pure carnauba wax, washing away that dirt will also remove quite a lot of the wax, so you can only wash a few times before having to wax again.

A simple illustration:

Using BTBM or other "mild" shampoo prolongs the wax durability, simply by being less powerful. However, when that dirt is embedded in Fusso Coat, which is resistant to even strong shampoo, a careful wash with mild shampoo may just not be enough to remove even the top layer of contaminated wax!

Try using something stronger or more scrubbing (haha) to remove that embedded dirt and expose a fresh surface of Fusso Coat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dirty wax.jpg (52.9 KB, 204 views)

Last edited by shelton; 08-11-2018 at 09:17 AM.
shelton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shelton For This Useful Post:
Bulkhead (08-11-2018), CleanGirl (08-11-2018), Fairtony (26-11-2018)
Old 25-11-2018, 11:07 PM   #3
Bulkhead
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Thought I'd post a quick update - just re-applied a coat of Fusso as it had completely gone on most of the car. I hadn't realised it was 10 months since I first applied it so that's pretty good in my book, especially considering it's relegated to the driveway so sits outside all of the time.
Bulkhead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bulkhead For This Useful Post:
great gonzo (28-11-2018)
Old 28-11-2018, 10:30 PM   #4
great gonzo
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 3,269 Times in 2,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulkhead View Post
Thought I'd post a quick update - just re-applied a coat of Fusso as it had completely gone on most of the car. I hadn't realised it was 10 months since I first applied it so that's pretty good in my book, especially considering it's relegated to the driveway so sits outside all of the time.
10 months is very impressive!!

Gonz.
great gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote