Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Showroom Detailed something and want to show it off? Do it here... This is the place for you to show the world....

Old 09-07-2017, 06:38 PM   #1
Hereisphilly
Dw Reviewer

Thanked 1,871 Times in 1,137 Posts
Polo Gti - New Car Prep

After a rollercoaster 2 weeks and a series of unexpected but ultimately good events, it was time to bid farewell to the fiesta and hello to my new car, so figured I would do a little write up about it after prepping yesterday

This is how I picked it up at the dealers, very filthy and completely untouched as per my instructions, save for vacuuming out the insides and removing all transport wrapping

(Nice A3 "do not clean sign from the salesman")

Prep started early in the morning on Saturday, and it was a chance to give the car a proper once over

The car had been in storage for 3-4 months so was completely covered in grey dust and grime, not to mention a load of flies from the drive home. With it being white it definitely stood out

Rubbers looking particularly faded

Wheels very dirty

Allocation lettering still on the windscreen

Started off with a healthy spray of Autoglanz's Bug off all over the front to help loosen and shift the massacre

The whole car was then covered in Powermaxed Jet wash & Wax before the bulk of the loose dust was jetted off

Last of my ODK Arctic was used to cover in a blanket of snow foam and the grills etc were flushed out with G101 and some AF long haired brushes, before being rinsed down

ODK Jet and a dash of ONR was used for the wash, which makes an extremely slippery mixture when paired with a Dooka Osha

After rinsing off and clearing no end of crud from the sills, shuts and grills, we could inspect the car for contamination

1" long splat of rubber on the bonnet and then an absolutely ridiculous amount of fallout, some of the pieces were huge

1 Hit with BH Korrosol and then after that ran out I switched over to Autoglanz Blood tonic diluted 1:1 for the second hit
Huge amounts of reaction from all over the car

After a tardis wipedown to dissolve the tar and loosen the rubber so it could be removed, the car was clayed with BH medium clay using ONR at QD strength as a lubricant

After removing all the remaining contaminants, the car was dried with a Klin Duo XL and the Drinker

Then the car was jacked up and the wheels removed for cleaning & sealing

Given a thorough clean with Orchard Autocare wheel cleanse, before rinsing and then being hit with Autoglanz Blood tonic & G101 for degreasing the tyres

Not much fallout due to the 14 miles on the clock, but best to be sure

Wheels were given a light polish with M205 as I found out that the gloss black paint is ridiculously soft, it even marrs with a drying towel, before being panel wiped with Envy Filler Killer and then coated in Gtechniq C5

Centre caps coated and aligned properly with the valves before dressing the tyres with Gyeon Tire. Love the gloss that C5 adds along with a lovely rainbow effect

Meanwhile the dirty arches were cleaned out with G101 before being dressed with CG Barebones. Never used this before but the shine and gloss from it was immense, so will definitely be using more of this in the future. Amazing grape smell!

Quick before and after

Wheels fitted and looking great

All the trim including wing mirrors, side skirts, wiper arms, diffuser & scuttle were panel wiped and coated in C5

Tired rubbers were treated with SV seal feed, staggering the difference it made, especially considering this is a new car

Glass was cleaned inside & out with Powermaxed Glass cleaner before being polished with Nanolex Glass polish, prior to application of Gtechniq G1
3 coats on the front, 1 on the side and 2 on the rear

The paint was then inspected and a few very faint swirls were noted, especially towards the edges of panels, but on the whole the paint was in excellent condition. As we had been going at this for over 8 hours, and it was nearing 5pm, we decided to leave machining for another day

Instead the paint was cleansed with ODK Pro cleanse

Before 2 coats of Obsession wax Dynasty was applied

Exhaust was cleaned and protected with Britemax metal twins and C5

Interior was given a quick wipedown with ODK Cabin

11 hours later here are the finished shots and the colour can finally be shown off to its full extent
I was very pleased with the results and the car looks great, such a crisp finish and contrast really well with the black glass and dark trim

Thanks for reading

Last edited by Hereisphilly; 09-07-2017 at 06:44 PM.
Hereisphilly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 28 Users Say Thank You to Hereisphilly For This Useful Post:
-Kev- (09-07-2017), 66Rob (09-07-2017), Benfr16 (04-08-2017), christopherquin (10-03-2018), daydotz (04-08-2017), Dohnut (22-10-2017), FabrizioTDI (19-02-2018), jonnyw59 (09-07-2017), JR1982 (09-07-2017), Karl woods (09-07-2017), KRM (17-02-2018), Mr Gurn (04-08-2017), Naddy37 (17-02-2018), nbray67 (09-07-2017), Peirre (17-02-2018), Peter D (09-07-2017), podgas (09-07-2017), Rodriguez (26-02-2018), RonanF (09-07-2017), scuba-phil (21-09-2017), Sicskate (09-07-2017), Simz (09-07-2017), Soul boy 68 (09-07-2017), Sport Driver (11-07-2017), steelghost (09-07-2017), Streeto (09-07-2017), todds (09-07-2017), Zebra (09-07-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 06:50 PM   #2
Sicskate
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,379 Times in 1,095 Posts
You've done a fantastic job there 👍

How are you finding the polo compared to the fiesta??

Sent from my FRD-L09 using Tapatalk
Sicskate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sicskate For This Useful Post:
Hereisphilly (09-07-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 06:55 PM   #3
Hereisphilly
Dw Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicskate View Post
You've done a fantastic job there 👍

How are you finding the polo compared to the fiesta??

Sent from my FRD-L09 using Tapatalk
Thanks mate, I'm feeling it today for sure!
I'm absolutely loving it, they feel worlds apart in all honesty, the quality and fit and finish of the Polo is head and shoulders ahead

Not quite as good with steering feedback, but its alot more comfortable and way less crashy, but then you can hit the sport button and firm the ride up loads if you want

Engine is a beast, its got a much wider and flatter torque curve than the ST so it doesn't need as much winding up, with takeoff in 1st particularly good
Gears are nicely spaced too not like the idiotic overdrivey 6th that the fiesta had

All in all I love it, and I can finally get all side doors open on the driveway
Old 09-07-2017, 06:59 PM   #4
nbray67

Thanked 2,378 Times in 1,751 Posts
Garage
That's a lot of graft into that Phil and it shows.

As above, how does it feel/drive compared to the ST?

Also, does it have adaptive cruise? If so, you'll love that on decent journeys.
nbray67 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nbray67 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2017, 07:06 PM   #5
JayMac

That looks fantastic, enjoy the new car!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JayMac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JayMac For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2017, 07:10 PM   #6
Hereisphilly
Dw Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbray67 View Post
That's a lot of graft into that Phil and it shows.

As above, how does it feel/drive compared to the ST?

Also, does it have adaptive cruise? If so, you'll love that on decent journeys.
Thanks mate, I'm really pleased with how it turned out, and I glad I didn't let the dealers touch it given the level of contamination and dirt, they would have scrubbed at it no doubt

I mentioned a bit about the differences in the post above yours, but they feel quite different in the brief drives I have done.
Much better levels of tech too and the LED headlights are amazing, never driven anything with as much range as them

Yes its got cruise control, but not the active one as it isn't an option on the gti, but weirdly you can get it on the lesser engined models
Its got parking sensors, reversing camera, climate control, auto lights, cornering lights, auto wipers and sport mode

Going to see if I can get the car net app activated at the dealers and then I'm all set
The Following User Says Thank You to Hereisphilly For This Useful Post:
nbray67 (09-07-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 07:15 PM   #7
nbray67

Thanked 2,378 Times in 1,751 Posts
Garage
Ha ha, I read your reply to Sickstate just has I'd posted my question.

Very very nice looking car with tech a plenty.

From what you posted about the prep, I got the impression, much like myself when I spent a day on the BMW, that just a paint cleanse and wax was enough for now for the paint, ha ha.

Coating the BMW will happen soon, when I can be ar$ed to do it. For now, a maintenance wash/wax/QD keep it looking smart as I'd rather be driving it than coating it on the weekends off from work.
nbray67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 07:16 PM   #8
steelghost
Detailing at Double Speed

Thanked 2,768 Times in 2,071 Posts
Garage
Thanks for going to such lengths to document your process. Car looks great!
steelghost is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steelghost For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2017, 07:19 PM   #9
Hereisphilly
Dw Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbray67 View Post
Ha ha, I read your reply to Sickstate just has I'd posted my question.

Very very nice looking car with tech a plenty.

From what you posted about the prep, I got the impression, much like myself when I spent a day on the BMW, that just a paint cleanse and wax was enough for now for the paint, ha ha.

Coating the BMW will happen soon, when I can be ar to do it. For now, a maintenance wash/wax/QD keep it looking smart as I'd rather be driving it than coating it on the weekends off from work.
Yeah its one of the reasons I went with white (other than it looking absolutely on point when clean), as its hides defects very well

Don't get me wrong its it very good condition, but there are the odd areas that you can see when you get the sun on it, or under an inspection lamp

Cant wait for the gloss enhancement but its finding the time to do it as you say, as real life takes over, especially with all the DIY work I'm trying to fit in around it

How are you finding your beemer?
Old 09-07-2017, 07:22 PM   #10
Soul boy 68
DW's car of the day man & Moderator

Thanked 6,300 Times in 4,359 Posts
Garage
Fantastic Polo there Phil and a worthy upgrade on the Fiesta, a really good write up and hard grafting has really paid off, I will sign off with my customary have a beer on me

Last edited by Soul boy 68; 09-07-2017 at 07:24 PM.
Soul boy 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soul boy 68 For This Useful Post: