Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 22-08-2018, 01:14 PM   #71
lincolndanny
PC Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_W View Post
On the ramps at Kwik Fit today....

At 28,200 miles, the front tyres are done enough that Lex have authorised the change. Was getting a bit silly. In the wet, the traction light would flash in 4th gear! Even in the dry is would soon in second.

Michelins going back on, asked them not to put Bridgestones on as they were so bad!
Michelin now paying you mate for appearing in their advertising?
lincolndanny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lincolndanny For This Useful Post:
Ben_W (22-08-2018), JR1982 (22-08-2018), slim_boy_fat (21-10-2018)
Old 22-08-2018, 01:17 PM   #72
Ben_W
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolndanny View Post
Michelin now paying you mate for appearing in their advertising?
Rude......Harsh........etc. You keep scoffing the biscuits, you'll give me a run for my money!!

Ben_W is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ben_W For This Useful Post:
JR1982 (22-08-2018), lincolndanny (22-08-2018)
Old 31-08-2018, 09:37 PM   #73
Willsy309
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Hadn’t realised that you’d got one of these Ben, looks very nice indeed. This colour always causes us grief at work, it’s ALWAYS described differently.

P.S on behalf of me and Danny ‘biscuit boy’ Whitworth get on with the Rallye.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Willsy309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 12:04 AM   #74
Ben_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsy309 View Post
Hadn’t realised that you’d got one of these Ben, looks very nice indeed. This colour always causes us grief at work, it’s ALWAYS described differently.

P.S on behalf of me and Danny ‘biscuit boy’ Whitworth get on with the Rallye.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm trying.....tell 'biscuit boy' to take the bait and come and weld it!!! I'm waiting on these panels from NZ before I can do too much more.

As for the golf, yeah, it's a cracking car. Will top 30k in the next two weeks ...at 10 months old! The colour is epic though, I can see why it causes issues describing it!
Old 01-09-2018, 07:56 AM   #75
TonyH38

Very nice, enjoy
TonyH38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 11:54 PM   #76
Ben_W

So this happened Monday.....

Still only 10 months old! Due another service in 5k miles so another 7 to 8 weeks or so.....!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ben_W For This Useful Post:
Cookies (12-09-2018), JR1982 (12-09-2018), wrxmania (12-09-2018)
Old 12-09-2018, 01:54 AM   #77
liamsxa
Washmitt Meister

Lovely car but so many on the road and everytime I see one he/she tries to race me, (remapped 330d 290bhp) I cba with it but I also can't let them win 😂 tbh it was one of my cars of choice a while ago but after sampling a 330ci few years ago I was hooked on the driving experience! And it was bmw for me!
liamsxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2018, 01:16 PM   #78
Ben_W

So, with 11 days to go until the golf is a year old, we are at:

Bang on course for the circa 35k a year. It's into VW next week for second service and inspection. I've also asked them to check the gearbox. On occasion it will be snatchy on the downchange from 4th to 3rd, and 3rd to 2nd. Intermittent and random, I can't make it replicate it and happens regardless of mode, temp etc. Occasionally hangs onto the revs in first and second too. Will see on that one.

Very slight swirling starting to appear. I can live with that through the winter. Will get a full detail and light correction late spring.

Clearly someone has nudged the bumper...

And just how do you get a stone chip there?

Still very, very happy with the car. Regularly returning 60+ mpg on the commute, long term economy hangs between 52&53mpg.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ben_W For This Useful Post:
Cookies (21-10-2018), JR1982 (21-10-2018), slim_boy_fat (21-10-2018)
Old 13-11-2018, 11:52 PM   #79
Ben_W

Not much to update other than what VW tell you and what they tell fleet managers are two entirely different things.......

They couldn't find anything wrong with the gearbox whilst it was in with them. No codes, couldn't replicate on the road test etc etc. No real surprises there as it is, as I said, very intermittent at best. What they did tell me was that they recommend changing the gearbox oil at 40k on the DSG boxes and suggested, given I wasn't far off and how quickly i'm piling on the miles, booking it in and having it done.

Checked with our fleet dept at work who said 'crack on', the car was duely booked in last week. The local dealers will collect and redeliver your car so as that's easiest for me, they did so at about 09:30. Handed over, requested it not to be washed again (although I've made that quite clear the last two times it's been in and it still gets washed. The guy collecting and redelivering blamed the Latvian in the car wash dept and the fact he can't read a word of English so despite it being quite clear in the service sheet, it gets washed anyway. I kid you not.) and asked for it back at 17:00 as I need to be home on time as I had plans in the evening.

17:30, the car arrives back. Washed. Again. Handed over to me and off he goes. I nip back into the warehouse to get my things from the office and have a quick read of the inspection sheet they've given me. Lol and behold, the gearbox oil has not been changed as Lex refused to authorise it. I checked my things in the car and began to head home but picked up the phone to the service guy on the way.

I won't bore you with the details of the conversation but it seems that VW issue a SMR document to the likes of Lex (which having checked means Service, Maintenance & Repair) which states that the gearbox oil doesn't get done until 80k. When asked directly why they told me 40k but the SMR document says 80k, the guy stuttered, stumbled and failed to answer the question. A money making ploy I suspect (it's a £320 job) but Lex are sticking to their guns, despite me having flagged the gearbox anomaly. When it spills it's guts (as several DSG boxes on the 7.5 have already) over the M42 on a Thursday night as I'm trying to get home, I will take the time to remind them of this fact. Not politely either. They couldn't explain either why, after having Lex refuse the work at 11:04, they still couldn't get my car back until 17:30....

The only other issue I have is that there is a drone from the rear like a bearing has gone. One hasn't, it's the car and those crap Bridgestones. They sent me a little video saying it's wearing the rear inside edges a little oddly, which has the effect of squaring them off I think he said and causing the droning. They didn't suggest a remedy for that one but the tracking is not a simple job on this car it seems. I asked Kwik Fit to track it when they put the tyres on but because of the stuff it has on it (Active cruise, adaptive headlights etc) if it needs more than a very small amount of adjustment, VW have to do it as it needs all the sensors recalibrating......

Other than that, still a happy chappy!

Last edited by Ben_W; 13-11-2018 at 11:55 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ben_W For This Useful Post:
JR1982 (14-11-2018)
Old 14-11-2018, 08:48 AM   #80
Andyblue

Location: Hiding all the Black Friday / Christmas detailing stuff bought :)
Thanked 1,906 Times in 1,670 Posts
Just a note on the droning from the rear you’ve got - yes it’s the rear tyres have saw toothed - if you run your hand around the inside edge of the tyre, you’ll feel it.

My A5 suffered with this on factory fit Dunlop’s, was a nightmare, in the end - Audi saying no problem with it etc etc, swapped all 4 tyres for Michelin and issue resolved
Andyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andyblue For This Useful Post:
Ben_W (14-11-2018)