Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Newbies, Rules & Announcements > Newbies & Introductions.....
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Newbies & Introductions..... Tell us something about you. Sponsored by Monza Car Care -

Old 11-06-2013, 04:30 AM   #1
Matty77
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Newbie + Merc CLK55 AMG + Wet Sand + Hand Polish

Hi all,

I've been lurking on this superb detailing resource for quite some time now, but after my very first wet sanding experience today I felt it was finally time to break my silence, say hi, and post something worth sharing with you guys.

First a bit of background....

I bought my black 2000 CLK55 AMG back in December 2011...

...and since then have slowly but surely become increasingly OCD with my detailing routine, LOL

Oh yes, It all started innocently enough with the acquisition of a couple of 20L buckets with scratch guards, a bottle of AG shampoo, a wash mitt or two, a BH clay bar and some SRP...and, well, then things kind of progressed! Now I'm the proud owner of a few more detailing products and have attended machine polishing course etc...I'm sure you know how it goes once the bug bites

Unfortunately I don't own a garage and the car is left on my drive. Worse still, my neighbours all own cats and one or two of them seem to have taken to jumping up onto the CLK's warm bonnet during cold spells for a nice rest and a warm up.

Now, don't get me wrong, I don't mind having to deal with the removal of a few cat hairs on my bonnet now and again, or even a few dusty footprints - but what really really upsets me is when these furry feline f*****s leave dirty great 12" scratches on the bonnet, inter-crossed with smaller ones, like this...

...or when they attempt to climb up the wing (to get to the cozy bonnet) with their back legs scrabbling for grip on the shiny surface, leaving a cut-along-the-dotted-line kind of vertical scratch like this...ARGHHHHH!!!!

Now I'm sure you can all imagine how I felt when I first set eyes on this damage. For days afterwards I became obsessed with how I could stop the neighbourhood cats from inflicting more damage to my pride and joy. I considered writing letters to all the cat owners on my estate but quickly realised that would be futile. I considered buying an airgun and standing watch by my garden gate. I thought about buying a car cover but couldn't imagine being arsed to cover my car after every trip. I searched forums and considered many different solutions, each as useless as the next. So what I eventually did was purchase an ultrasonic cat scarer which I bolted it to my garden gate facing the front of my car, and, touch wood, since then I haven't found a single trace of pet hairs on my bonnet. Job done

Ok, so back to sorting out these nasty scratches...

Having run a PTG over the bonnet and wing previously during a machine polishing course earlier in the year I knew there was a decent amount of clear coat on my car, so today I had my first attempt at wet sanding.

I don't yet own a machine polisher (I'm saving hard for a Rupes LHR15 Bigfoot kit) so I took my chances with a hand polishing technique.

Ok, so here's what I did...

First I soaked two sheets of Megs Unigrit (2500 and 3000) in water for about 20 mins to soften them up. Then, armed with a Megs rubber sanding block and a spray bottle containing water and a drop of liquid soap for lube, I set to work on the 12" bonnet scratch with the 2500 grit, wiping off the milky water containing clear coat every five or ten seconds or so to check on progress...

...then continuing a little more as I saw the scratch beginning to fade in places and expanding the area of work to take in some of the other scratches...

...still wondering if I was ever going to be able to buff this out I then refined the 2500 grit scratches with 3000 grit...

...and kept going until the scratches were gone!

You can see there are a couple of areas I had to work on a little more than the others where the scratches were deeper, but hey, so far so good. I was thrilled that I'd managed to remove the scratches without breaking through the clear coat. I was just hoping that the 3000 grit scratches would buff out by hand.

Only one way to find out! So I grabbed my tube of Farecla G3, primed the white foam hand applicator pad with a spritz of water/soap from my sprayer, squeezed four pea sized drops of G3 onto the pad, and got to work.

After one pass with the G3 I wiped the residue off with a MF cloth and this is what I found...

RESULT!!!

I was truly amazed at the result I'd achieved by hand with only one pass of the G3 and with thoughts of full bonnet resprays diminishing by the second, I gave it another pass with the G3 and followed up with a pass of SRP followed by a coating of PB Natty's Paste Wax to finish off....and I couldn't have been happier with the result...

Next I moved my attentions to that nasty vertical dotted line on the wing...

...and repeated the above process until I was left with this result...

For a first attempt at wet sanding I'm sure you'll agree I got a good result. Total time taken was about an hour, but I was being extremely cautious with the wet and dry process only rubbing for five or ten seconds at a time before wiping down and checking the area.

Just a shame it's going to be raining in Manchester tomorrow...there's a small scratch I want to sort out on my rear bumper....dammit, this wet sanding lark could get addictive

EDIT: More wet sanding of the bonnet followed....then a machine polisher was purchased....see the result here http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=310611

Last edited by Matty77; 06-06-2014 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Added Link to finished bonnet
Matty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Matty77 For This Useful Post:
cleancar (11-06-2013), Dwyer9 (11-06-2013), Offset Detailing (21-04-2015), RichS11 (13-06-2013), Serkie (11-06-2013)
Old 11-06-2013, 07:45 AM   #2
abc
Sponge Jockey

Great result!
Car looks amazing for a 13 year old
abc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:00 AM   #3
Rabidracoon28
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,215 Posts
Great job pal
Rabidracoon28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:09 AM   #4
si_mon
Sponge Jockey

Amazing result by hand!
si_mon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:41 AM   #5
sprocketser

Thanked 1,309 Times in 1,274 Posts
Great results mate ! By hand , even better to me !
sprocketser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:43 AM   #6
s29nta

Thanked 1,603 Times in 1,460 Posts
Top effort mate
s29nta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:34 PM   #7
Dwyer9
Sponge Jockey

Garage
JAWDROP, i just dont get how you can sand your car down to the grey which i would of thought would be the undercoat lol then polish it up like nothings happened? can someone direct me to more info on this im new to all this detailling stuff only recently started machine polishing now this lol crazy
Dwyer9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:39 PM   #8
Matty77
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwyer9 View Post
JAWDROP, i just dont get how you can sand your car down to the grey which i would of thought would be the undercoat lol then polish it up like nothings happened? can someone direct me to more info on this im new to all this detailling stuff only recently started machine polishing now this lol crazy
The grey you are talking about isn't the primer but simply a matt finish because I've sanded off the glossy finish. You'll find plenty of info on here about wet sanding and also on you tube. All it takes is a steady hand and the nerve to start sanding your pride and joy.
Matty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:47 PM   #9
Chrissyronald

Nice results
Chrissyronald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:52 PM   #10
deano93tid

Garage
Or you could buy a panel as I have and practice on it.

Great job there Matty, glad you opted for the ultrasonic scarer as opposed to the air gun lol.
deano93tid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
farecla g3, hand polishing, mercedes clk, wet sanding