Detailing World Forum banner

rust prevention on a brand new car

14K views 33 replies 22 participants last post by  G105ALY 
#1 ·
Hey folks I'm buying a brand new Astra VXR and was wondering about protecting the underneath of the car from corrosion.

Would people waxoil inside cavities? Anything else people would recommend?

#26 ·
I'm thinking that? Most modern cars from the past 10+ have been undersealed from the factory?

I would do some research first and check that its not already protected from factory before chucking £230+ away when you could spend that on some nice go faster mods :)

#10 ·
If you're looking to add some extra protection then Bilt Hamber Dynax UC is a very good product, goes on clear so you can use it on all suspension components and is very durable. If you're looking at getting into cavities I would go with Dynax S50 as this is a dedicated cavity wax which also comes with a long spray lance for feeding into hard to reach areas.

Alex

#15 ·
I wouldn't bother :) OEM E-coatings, paints and sealants have all come a long way in the last 20 years.

Vauxhall, like most OEMs nowadays, offer an Anti-Corrosion Warranty which lasts for 6 years (provided you service the car at the main dealer throughout that time).

I don't have any direct experience of Vauxhall, but all its competitors from Ford and Peugeot and the like are all fairly well protected underneath.

The biggest cause of corrosion will be from owners damaging their cars on rocks, speedbumps and other road flotsam and jetsam, removing that vital layer of protection. If that happens clean up the area and reapply paint and underseal as the damage happens.

#16 ·
I guess it depends how long you're planning on keeping the car. If its just on a 3 year pcp, might not be worth too much trouble.

I think the opposite actually to mwggriffiths, I think the coatings are worse now than 10-15 years ago, cost cutting. weight saving etc. Suspension arms coated in black, dont seem to last long, you see a lot with flaking coating, rusty welds etc.

I'd only coat the suspension with something like the clear Bilt hamber wax, also wash your chassis during and after winter, wheels off after winter for a good clean.

The car bodies themselves are ok these days, so I wouldnt touch that, or any cavities as most makers inject some wax.

If your car is a motorway queen, wash it down weekly in winter, as the salt gets everywhere.

#23 ·
Vauxhall sell a range of protection product in aerosol. They do this so that any repairs that take place can be protected in the same way and using the same products as on the vehicle assembly line.

When you get the vehicle serviced you must make sure the retailer stamps the anti perforation inspection section of the service book. It is a separate section of the book. This check is done within the normal service. Any servicing outside of the network will need the car presenting to a Vauxhall franchised retailer to carry out this standalone check to retain the 6 year anti perforation check.

I know they do a aerosol version of cavity wax, seam sealer and stone guard (in black). I have used this stuff on my cars for a few years now and I can only speak highly of it. Also because it is a genuine product there can be no arguing about voiding any warranty.

Finally i'm sure some of the product can be purchased in larger sizes for applying via a airline.

300ml cavity wax aerosol part number 9121548

#25 ·
Hey everyone just reading this and very interested as ive just bought new discs and pads on my car. The previous ones were rusty and looked awful now they are new what bilt hamber product can i use to prevent them rusting. Please explain products in an idiot language

#28 · (Edited)
It would surprise you how little protection alot of modern cars have underneath them. I've seen 2-3 year old cars up on our ramp looking pretty sorry for themselves due to road salt etc.

It can also depend on the model of car, take Porsche for example. The standard corrosion warranty on a 911 is 10 years but a GT3 has so little undersealing to save weight that it's only covered for 4 years.

#31 ·
For the OP i have some part numbers for you. These are genuine Vauxhall so no worries about voiding any warranty.

9163308 1 litre of under body wax £12.24
9121548 300ml protection wax aerosol £7.80
9196462 1 litre of cavity wax transparent beige £12.12
9121545 500ml Rubber under body sealant £9.60
9121538 500ml Black stone guard Aerosol £6.78

All prices are including vat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.