Detailing World Forum banner

Cleaning a Motorcycle...

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Chris79100 
#1 ·
I've just recently bought two products that I've never used before (ObliTARate & Iron X) and was just wondering if these two products would be safe on my Fully Faired 929 Fireblade?

Many thanks in advance :).

Neil

#2 ·
Just be careful.

I used iron x on my Guzzi and found that it gets into all the nooks and crannies. This isn't a product you want to leave on for too long. Id be careful getting it into wheel bearings, calipers, chain and engine cases.

Try applying onto a cloth then working specific areas.

#3 ·
I personally wouldn't risk using them, if my bike get's really bad, then I use a mix of Meguiars APC, leave it to sit for a while (5 - 10 minutes max), rinse, then continue with the wash process...

If you weren't already aware of this product, I'd also recommend using ACF50 to protect your pride and joy through the bad weather, then give it a good clean/detailing once Spring arrives...

Just need to keep the bloomin' things clean as possible in this weather, stop it from building up, and for that, my best ever purchase was a Metro Sidekick...

Clean....wash....rinse.....blow dry, job done!

But in response to your actual question....use something less aggressive :thumb:

#5 · (Edited)
Thanks folks for the replies:thumb:.

I'm just waiting on delivery for a new fuel pump and a few other bits towards a full service on her in the next couple of weeks and then I'll take your advice when I get round to cleaning.

Another quick Question while I'm on this...

Thought about steam cleaning the engine whilst the fairing is off and as such, what are the steps to ensure the most thorough but safest way of steam cleaning to take?

Might aswell post a video of what she look like:p

#6 ·
Nice clean bike, I had the RRW that immediately preceded your model, that's been well looked after...

Can't help you on the steam cleaning front to be honest, not a technique I've ever used on my motorbikes, if you have the fairings off, then why not use traditional methods, engine cleaner, brushes, hose off?

But if your intent on steam cleaning, I'd suggest the usual precautions, protect/cover electrics etc, then you should be good to go....

I'm sure that someone will be along to provide a more helpful suggestion :thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.