Detailing World Forum banner

brad moles Garage (To be) Build Thread

277K views 264 replies 120 participants last post by  Mr Gurn 
#1 · (Edited)
brad moles garage build thread

Hi Guys, been browsing this section for a long time inspired by all the awesome garage builds, waiting for the day when i can do one myself. Well I've been looking for my first house for over a year now but still haven't found the right one (probably being too picky about wanting the right plot to be able to build a garage) but good things come to those who wait i suppose. Anyways as i'm ready to move out when the right house comes along i thought id start on a build thread now while i'm prepping some of the stuff to go in the garage that i don't have yet :lol:

I will apologize now for the amount of in depth photos i'm going to post. I know everyone likes a good build thread and often miss out on the little details so i will try and post plenty pics to show what i'm doing in detail.

Anyways, to start with i got offered a toolbox off a friend and couldn't resist the offer, done a bit of research and they seem pretty decent, the box had barely been used and had just been sat gathering dust, Nothing special but it will do the job for now.

Ever since i got my eye on the snap on wooden tops you could get I've wanted one of them, so i set about making my own, i make chopping boards in my spare time at work so hey its just a bit chopping board at the end of the day.

Sorted out some off cuts to make it with

As you can see they are all different sizes and rough cut

Cut to length and planed to the same thickness

Arranged light to dark?

But i prefer random

Clamps and glue at the ready, lets go!

And all clamped up

I love the contrast in grains and colours you get, will look even better once sanded and oiled but you will have to wait for the updates as that's all I've done so far.

The next piece I've started is a few picture frames for some photos i bought, id normally prefer hard wood frames but for car/garage related photos i do like a simple black painted softwood frame, maybe i will change them in future but for now they are going to go black.

Softwood

Band sawn

Planed, rebated, cut to length and mitred

Biscuit jointed for more strength

And clamped up

And that's all folks, not a bad days work i think. stay tuned for some slow updates

See less See more
#95 ·
Not much to update,

Finally got the car home and in the garage, feels like there's plenty room to work around it, but then it is a tiny car

Already getting filled with junk

Finally got my light panels and the rest of the wiring hooked up

The pictures dont really show how bright they are, its just like daylight inside when the door is closed, really glad i went for these in the end

And even more junk dumped

#101 ·
I was expecting to have to put extra lighting in but they really were brighter than i expected, although im probably going to add more lighting in future as direct light/swirl spotting etc. but i will just have to wait til i start working in there to see whats needed

I spent so long looking for the best light panels and narrowed it down to these, i chose to go for the branded Philips drivers as from past experience with other leds i find the drivers are usually the unreliable part, but either way both the leds and drivers come with a 5 year warranty so happy days.

Heres the ones i went for.

40W (3800 Lumen) 4500-5000K

http://www.ledsave.co.uk/excel-led-panel-600-x-600.html

#100 ·
Which LED panels did you go for? I am looking at them for my build too, and seem to be lots of different makes / variations! How big is your garage, I was originally looking at 3 rows of 2 for an area 5 x 7m, wondering if that would be enough?

Also, I am looking at the same garage door, are you pleased with it, well insulated and solid?
Sorry for all the questions!!

#103 ·
Managed to get the fascias on today as the weather has been fine, been waiting ages for the right day to get everything done and painted on a warm ish day.

So i made the fascias, CNC cut them at work, i was going to go with a fancy design , but opted for a simple looking thing in the end. Got them primed and painted.

Made up a load of these (become more obvious in next pic)

They are wedges to allow me to fix the soffits underneath later on

I also made up these to fix the fascias to and soffits will attatch underneath too

All Blocks mounted up, now for the fascias

And all done, screwed, filled, sanded, painted, now lets hope the rain holds off til the paint dries!

Really pleased with how its all looking now, and glad i chose to colour match the paint to the door. I need to measure up for the soffits and hopefully get cracking on them in the next few weeks, then onto guttering and drains!

#108 ·
Managed to get the dry verge fitted

Also fitted the guttering today too but havent done the drainpipe until i get the soffit fitted (next on the list)

Made a start on digging for the drainage to the garage but ran out of time today

Also i took the scaffolding down from the side of the garage, glad to get rid of that!

I came accross these handles on offer so thought they may come in handy for my garage units when i get around to building some

#109 ·
Another small update, i got the drains put in either side of the garage and ran back to the access chamber.

Got the rest of the wedges screwed in to hold the soffits, been on cutting and priming the soffits, just need to give them a top coat both sides then il fit them probably next weekend

I was moving all my junk from the shed over to the garage so i can get rid of the shed and came across these little beauties i had stored for a few years.

They are big 600 x 600mm samples of solid hard woods (Sapele, Oak, Walnut, Ash and Cherry) which we had in the old workshop but when we moved workshops they were going to get binned so i snapped them up with the intention of doing something nice with them (chopping boards or something)

Anyway i had an idea, as they are a perfect worktop depth (600mm) i thought about using them as my garage worktop, but obviously being solid wood they wouldn't sit right if they were butted up to each other as they will shrink and move creating steps at the joins, so my plan is to space each piece out with timber so that you wont notice the slight variation in the wood

Heres a quick sketch i done to visualise how it might look

But that will be a long way off yet as theres other priorities, just thought id show y'all where im up to.

#112 ·
Ok so i got rid of the shed to start on the garden, also dug out a channel down the side of the garage because with it being single skin brickwork and lower than the grass level outside, im getting damp bricks on the inside, just not sure what to do about it. I was thinking of painting the outside bricks that will be covered with a tanking paint then backfilling the trench with rocks and pea shingle? also i will have to build a supporting wall or railway sleepers to seperate the grass from the trench

Got the soffits all fitted eventually and started cutting the draipipe to fit, havent got around to fixing the clips yet though

Eventually got around to finishing the worktop i started, which was the very first part of the garage build you may remember, all sanded up and put a small chamfer detail on the edges

Applied the first coat of oil, this is such a satisfying part of woodwork, it enhances the woods natural character and looks so much better once oiled

All oiled up and fitted, looking good

G
#119 ·
As you say,you could build a retaining wall or sleepers.Paving slabs on edge are another alternative.
Single brick walls will always have a tendency to be damp...a coat of something like this wouldnt hurt...
http://www.decoratingwarehouse.co.u...terseal/1320?gclid=CLeAua7H88wCFRUW0wodgQsJZg
The damp course in the walls is not joined to the membrane under the slab...moisture will always rise up between the two.
NHBC Standards clause 9.1 - D5(d) accepts garage walls constructed with a single leaf of brickwork
or blockwork 100mm thick but says such walls will not be impervious to wind-driven rain and
consequently could become damp. It also says 'In areas of severe exposure, single leaf walls may
require a high standard of workmanship and possibly surface treatment to prevent an unacceptable
level of rain penetration'.
A 300um (1200g)
continuous polythene DPM/radon barrier is to be lapped & sealed at all joints, laid over
sand blinded hardcore & linked to DPC's in walls.

#120 · (Edited)
Not very exciting updates but its progress at least, broke up the concrete base from the shed which was stupidly thick, 250mm in places

Another grab load, its sick thinking how much ive paid so far to get rid of soil/rubble!

We lifted the patio and started digging dow to get the block paving laid up to the garage, also started digging a channel to extend the tap to the garage, not sure how complicated its going to be yet so i may just leave it where it is

started shaping where the paving will run, im hoping to have it sweep round from the side of the house, round to the side of the garage

Dug a bit more out of where the front wall will be

So i got some bitumen paint for the side of the garage where the soil will be sitting up against it, hoping this will stop any damp coming through

Masked up and first coat

Second coat with tape removed

I lapped it around the back a bit, i will do the whole back in the end but waiting for the rest of the brickwork to dry out first

#125 ·
Would you not consider leaving a gap between the garage & soil? Possibly fire a few sleepers in, make a retaining wall. Let it soak up the moisture.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Thanks guys, yeah that was the plan originally but realised it would be very similar to another idea i had, and means i wont loose more garden again.

Good work! Nice to see the wife grafting! I would have been inclined to lay in gravel the full depth of your trench by about 100mm wide to aid drainage between soil & garage. Will probably help to extend the life of the bitumen paint too. Saves any dampness actually sitting against the wall?!?
My plan is to build a single skin wall right up against the wall the height of the bitumen with a damp proof membrane in between then back fill with the rocks in the garden with pea shingle on top then soil to finish, hoping that will do the trick and look tidy too

#122 ·
Good work! Nice to see the wife grafting! I would have been inclined to lay in gravel the full depth of your trench by about 100mm wide to aid drainage between soil & garage. Will probably help to extend the life of the bitumen paint too. Saves any dampness actually sitting against the wall?!?

#126 · (Edited)
more digging for the water supply

and the MDPE turned up for it

So some more blocks got delivered to start the retaining walls

the brickie was putting me off for too long so i give in and committed to building the walls myself, ive never laid a brick in my life so this was going to be fun! i invested in this to help me along

poured a foundation for the front wall

And here we go

Not too bad for my first attempt

[url=https://flic.kr/p/KH6PvK]

And getting there!

Managed to find 45 metres of beamish cobble on gumtree which was a bonus as that is just enough for what we need, and its almost the same colour match too, i figured used blocks would blend in better than new ones anyway, so win win for me, it was a fun job making 20 trips in the car to collect them and spending hours cleaning them up though

The hardcore turned up so i got that in and wacked

And we started laying the blocks, i didnt do much of this except cleaning and passing blocks so i cant take much credit, but just the cuts and drain to put in which is hopefully getting done today, im so pleased with it so far and the colour match is great!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.