Detailing World Forum banner

Building my 1st workbench this weekend....tips?

7K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  AndyC 
#1 ·
As the title suggests, this weekend I'm getting a few hours to finally tackle my shed. One of the jobs on my list is building a workbench across the width of the back.

Does anyone have any suggestions/improvements you'd suggest to someone in my position? Something I'm probably going to forget!

Thanks.

#5 ·
use wing nuts to fix the vice. i did it with mine makes it quick to remove for the few times you don't want a vice on the bench. did the same with my bench grinder.
screwed the grinder to a wood base but the base has two big bolts bolts that go through the work bench and secure with wing nuts so i can move out the way wasily

#6 ·
How big is your shed? In my last house i only had a 7x5' shed and i wanted a workbench, but also needed the storage space, so I appied a batton to the shed and attached the workbench by hinges, with hinged legs. I screwed some of the plastic shelfing corners you can, using 8 to make 2 squares and popped the legs into these to stop the table collapsing when it was up. When not in use it folded flat against the back of the shed.

In the end the missus got a rabbit and the hutch ended up on it, but for the time before that it was really handy.

#7 ·
Depends on what you're going to be doing on the bench.

If there's any prospect of hammering being involved, build it twice as robust as you think you'll need. A vice is a good idea, but, again, buy a STRONG one and bolt it down - some of the smaller eBay-types are worse than useless. Better a 2nd-hand good quality than a shiny, new weak job. :thumb:

#12 ·
Also fit the vice away from the edge wall. You'll want something long in it at some point. As above make it stronger than you think. Bottom of it have to the floor or leave a big gap between a shelf underneath and the floor. Mines close to the floor that all sorts of crap gets under and it's awkward to clean out.

#18 ·
I built mine from scrap timber and a couple of fence posts I had knocking around. Top is a trimmed down piece of kitchen worktop which I robbed from Homebase for a tenner as it was bowed (made no difference as it's screwed down with L brackets).

All brackets and hardware were from "stock" so net cost was the £10 for the top.

Bolted to the wall of the garage also for added strength.

Vice added recently, photo not great - this was just after a clear-out when my 205 went; it's a lot tidier now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.