Detailing World Forum banner

The elements or cover my car

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  RaceGlazer 
#1 ·
I have a 2004 Z4 that I just bought recently in mint condition and I want to do my best to keep it that way.

However it's parked on my driveway under a huge overhanging sycamore tree which is an absolute pain in the summer with the sap (and tbh, doesn't make you want to clean your car) and then huge great leaves and stuff falling in the autumn!

I'm currently using BMW cover but have started to notice that it does get wet under the cover, which was fine in the warm months but unlikely it'd dry properly now that winter is setting in.

So my question is should I get a better cover - I always read about the Stormforce or Monsoon covers - or just put up with the elements falling on it?

Any ideas or help would be much appreciated.

#3 ·
Unfortunately not. a) it's not my tree, it's the next door neighbours and b) they've cut it back a bit but they got refused planning permission to get it chopped down - if it'd have been me I would have just cut it down a faced the wrath of the council after!! It's a horrible tree.

#5 ·
any pics of the drive and tree?

prevention is always better than cure so wana try and keep the crap off the car. it been wet under the cover wont help but its only guna get wet in the elements.

how often do you use it in winter? maybe build a car port?
I'll try to take a few in the next couple of days, however it's simply a case of cover or no cover. It's actually my neighbours private parking space and she's kindly letting me use it and there's a house right next to the space so no chance of even buying one of those carcoons or anything like that :-(

#7 ·
Up until the new Garage was completed this year, I had been using the 4 Layer Breathable Stormforce Cover for over 5 years, never had any scratches on the paint. Two years ago it survived the 80mph Storms we had in Scotland, it billowed about a bit but never left the Car, I was up all night with the noise of next door's Fence, so was able to keep an eye on the Car. The two adjustable straps supplied are fine, however I added a Bungee Cord to the mid section eyelets and I bought Tarpaulin Grips from e-bay, this let me add additional straps ahead of the front Tyres and behind the rear Tyres, both straps being inside the Wheel Arches, thus not touching any Bodywork.

Doug.

#8 ·
Up until the new Garage was completed this year, I had been using the 4 Layer Breathable Stormforce Cover for over 5 years, never had any scratches on the paint. Two years ago it survived the 80mph Storms we had in Scotland, it billowed about a bit but never left the Car, I was up all night with the noise of next door's Fence, so was able to keep an eye on the Car. The two adjustable straps supplied are fine, however I added a Bungee Cord to the mid section eyelets and I bought Tarpaulin Grips from e-bay, this let me add additional straps ahead of the front Tyres and behind the rear Tyres, both straps being inside the Wheel Arches, thus not touching any Bodywork.

Doug.
Thanks for this. I think I will end up getting the Stormforce cover as ultimately where I have my car parked is the only place I can and also when the summer comes around the amount of sap from the tree is horrendous and whatever wax/protection I put on the car it's going to eat into the paintwork. I think as long as I cover the car after I've cleaned it it'll be absolutely fine.

#9 ·
I have been thinking of this myself recently and after speaking to a local tradesman they advised I was within my rights to cut back the overhanging branches from my neighbours Birch Tree / fir trees to the boundary line of my fence so food for thought......
Asked the neighbours and next thing I know they got someone in and trimmed it back so a good result.
Looked at lots of covers and decided it wasn't worth the risk of scratching keep taking one on and off and a good ones not cheap so would rather just keep on top of the cleaning regularly instead. What about a decent coating loads out there :D

#10 ·
The problem is with sycamores is that even if it were cut back to within the boundary lines it take a slight breeze and it gets covered in sap. My neighbour who lives near to the tree also gets the sap on his car and it nowhere near overhangs his car. One of those things I've got to live with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.