Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > General > Detailing Chat
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Detailing Chat Got a detailing related question that doesn't fit in any other section? Post it in here. Sponsored by CleanYourCar

Old 21-10-2017, 04:14 PM   #21
fatdazza
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,738 Times in 1,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul boy 68 View Post
You can learn just as well and just as much in a group and you bounce ideas off each other, I certainly enjoyed my training course in a group plus we had a pizza for lunch as well as snacks and coffee's.

Attachment 52484
You might learn as well, but it is all about applying that learning. Polishing is as much about the knowledge but also applying the knowledge. It is not a written exam that you can learn in a classroom, it is about applying that learning through your hands under supervision. In such skills one on one training is far superior than group work. And as for pizza for lunch, well it is hardly a unique opportunity
fatdazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2017, 04:42 PM   #22
Dudge77
Sponge Jockey

Ultimateshine Autos is one of the best detailing companies in your area mate, you'll know that yourself hence why you went to them in the first. £600 seems a fair price for the training as I imagine you'll be using their tools/products and a member of staff to train yourself. I'd ask the question if you used your own car would it come in a little cheaper

I've only one question to ask you though, why arrange to do a neighbours car when you aren't confident enough to do the job in the first place. Hence why your looking for training?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dudge77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2017, 07:34 PM   #23
chongo
"Professor"

Thanked 4,761 Times in 2,899 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudge77 View Post
Ultimateshine Autos is one of the best detailing companies in your area mate, you'll know that yourself hence why you went to them in the first. £600 seems a fair price for the training as I imagine you'll be using their tools/products and a member of staff to train yourself. I'd ask the question if you used your own car would it come in a little cheaper

I've only one question to ask you though, why arrange to do a neighbours car when you aren't confident enough to do the job in the first place. Hence why your looking for training?

This is the problem people think going on a course to learn detailing gives you the correct knowledge and skill to just go out and practice on other people's cars. Yes it gives you an insight into detailing but doesn't give you the full knowledge of correction.

If I was to train anyone up on machine polishing then it wouldn't be just one to one basis and even then that's just touching the rim of it. I think a follow up on training would definitely be needed after the person has gone away from the first meet and practice what you have taught them. Bringing them back is just important then you can then access how they have practice and understood what you have taught them
chongo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chongo For This Useful Post:
Moet1974 (21-10-2017)
Old 21-10-2017, 08:15 PM   #24
Moet1974
Orbital Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by chongo View Post
This is the problem people think going on a course to learn detailing gives you the correct knowledge and skill to just go out and practice on other people's cars. Yes it gives you an insight into detailing but doesn't give you the full knowledge of correction.

If I was to train anyone up on machine polishing then it wouldn't be just one to one basis and even then that's just touching the rim of it. I think a follow up on training would definitely be needed after the person has gone away from the first meet and practice what you have taught them. Bringing them back is just important then you can then access how they have practice and understood what you have taught them
What a great idea bud!
Moet1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Moet1974 For This Useful Post:
chongo (21-10-2017)
Old 21-10-2017, 08:21 PM   #25
Moet1974
Orbital Oracle

In the early stages of learning to machine polish you will definitely land a couple of great results and think 'I've cracked it' This can sometimes breed an overconfidence and you can inadvertently let small bad habits creep in. All of a sudden you're back to square one thinking why isn't it working. I know this because I'm talking about me. That's why Mick's idea is IMO essential in any correction course.
Moet1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Moet1974 For This Useful Post:
chongo (21-10-2017)
Old 21-10-2017, 08:22 PM   #26
Soapybubbles
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudge77 View Post

My neighbours car will consist of a wash/decon,machine polish using a finishing/cleanser polish and finally LSP. I will not be doing any correction work,this is where I feel I need some training.

The reason I looked into training was to learn more
About paint correction,good technique, and I'd also like to step up to Rotary machines,something I haven't had the confidence to tackle yet.,

Hope that makes sense to you.

There is only so much watching YouTube videos can teach you

Last edited by Soapybubbles; 22-10-2017 at 08:28 AM.
Soapybubbles is offline   Reply With Quote