Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Polish/Cleaners/Compounds/Glaze
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Polish/Cleaners/Compounds/Glaze Discuss Polish/Cleaners/Compounds and Glaze here - Sponsored By g3pro

Old 09-08-2016, 05:35 PM   #1
steelghost
Detailing at Double Speed

Thanked 2,767 Times in 2,070 Posts
Garage
S20 Black on soft paint

So I finally got around to giving the DAS6 Pro a go for the first time at the weekend I was short of time so I decided to just focus on the front passenger door of our car which had some pretty heavy hedge rash on it.

The door was washed, decontaminated (iron / tar) and then clayed.

The tools of choice were Scholl S20 Black, along with Scholl's black waffle and "honey" spider pads.
I started with the waffle pad, primed it (which seems to take more polish than I was expecting?) then added the "three pea sized dots" and set to. Maybe I wasn't pressing hard enough but even though I worked the polish until what residue remained was clear, it didn't do very much. So, I decided to move to the (considerably firmer) honey spider pad.

This time there was a considerable improvement after the first set, but it still felt like there was more to go. So I did another set which seemed to deliver something like the improvement I was after.

I didn't have chance to do any really critical comparisons or 50:50 shots as I went along as I was "assisted" by my 'detailing student' (age = 3 years old) but later that evening in the darkness of the unlit garage, I took the shots below assisted by an LED torch. You can see there are some marks left over but with this being a daily driver that we expect to keep for some time, chasing "flawless" paint is just not feasible (or sensible!).

Some observations: Not sure what I was doing wrong but getting the polish residue off seem quite tricky. I resorted to a spritz of BH Cleanser Fluid to take it off cleanly, didn't want to inflict marring through excessive buffing. I tried various grades / weights of MF towel, none of which really worked any better than the others. I wonder if, being water based, a simple squirt of water might have been enough?

After priming the pad I put my three pea-sized dots - once I'd spread this into the working area (roughly 50cm square) there seemed to be barely anything on the paint beyond a faint haze. Once I'd finished, lifting the pad off revealed a "pad print" of mostly clear residue with the odd purple speck of unused polish. Unfortunately I didn't get a picture of this; does it sound like I had too much / too little / about the right amount of polish on the pad?

Overall I'm fairly pleased with the results, next time I think a horizontal panel is in order to try applying a little more pressure to the waffle pad.

Any comments / observations / suggestions from more experienced hands welcomed.

Before (actually this is the other door, but still representative of the starting condition of the paint):

After:
steelghost is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steelghost For This Useful Post:
Arvi (12-08-2016)
Old 09-08-2016, 07:45 PM   #2
FallenAngel
Orbital Oracle

Really dont see a huge droling over scholl s20 when Sonax Perfect finish is better in every regard, better finish, better cut, wipes completly efortlesly. I need only one pass with PF on a white hexlogic pad on my KIA , dont know the paint hardness, to clear every single swirl on a panel. Good job though.
FallenAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FallenAngel For This Useful Post:
steelghost (10-08-2016)
Old 09-08-2016, 08:17 PM   #3
Summit Detailing
DW Supporter

Thanked 1,634 Times in 1,220 Posts
I found much the same as yourself OP re residue removal...an over rated polish imo and one which I may as well sell as I don't intend to take it out of the garage again.

Chris
Summit Detailing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Summit Detailing For This Useful Post:
steelghost (10-08-2016)
Old 09-08-2016, 08:21 PM   #4
steelghost

Garage
I was kind of hoping I'd just made some kind of polishing noob mistake since this was literally my first time doing any machine polishing :/
Old 10-08-2016, 03:16 PM   #5
chewy_
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenAngel View Post
Really dont see a huge droling over scholl s20 when Sonax Perfect finish is better in every regard, better finish, better cut, wipes completly efortlesly. I need only one pass with PF on a white hexlogic pad on my KIA , dont know the paint hardness, to clear every single swirl on a panel. Good job though.
You forgot to mention no staining of pads as well. Your white hex logic pad would turn black with s20
chewy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 03:23 PM   #6
euge07

ive posted on the subject before, but s20 is a pig to remove and i wont use it again,

ive now switched to sonax 04-06 but havent tried it out yet but I will do so very soon!
euge07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 03:37 PM   #7
FallenAngel
Orbital Oracle

@chewy
Sure, thats a plus too.
@euge07
04-06 should be almost the same as perfect finish, but as far as I could read online with more lubrication and specificly made for orbital polishers, where PF was designed with rotary in mind, but works great with DA too. I will be buying 04-06 when I run out of Perfect Finish, it's cheaper and it's designed to be used with DA.
FallenAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FallenAngel For This Useful Post:
euge07 (10-08-2016)
Old 10-08-2016, 03:39 PM   #8
steelghost

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by euge07 View Post
ive posted on the subject before, but s20 is a pig to remove and i wont use it again,

ive now switched to sonax 04-06 but havent tried it out yet but I will do so very soon!
Be interested to hear how you get on. I've emailed PB to see what they think. Next time out I think I'm going to try a bit more polish, and using QD to lubricate the pad, see if I can get a handle on how to get the best out of it.

That said, as a noob to machine polishing I am curious how this stuff (S20B) can be dividing opinion as it does, since there are plenty of folk on here who seem to rate it.
Old 10-08-2016, 04:13 PM   #9
gibbo555

I'm one of the folk who rate it, I've only ever had some trouble removing it on an Audi I was doing, I slowed the speed and extended the set which seemed to work fine.
gibbo555 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gibbo555 For This Useful Post:
steelghost (10-08-2016)
Old 10-08-2016, 04:34 PM   #10
steelghost

Garage
Thanks for the hint, I'll try reducing the speed next time I use it and see if it helps.

Tags
black, polishing, s20, scholl concepts, sonax ex 04-06