Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > General Off Topic > Off Topic Chat
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2014, 11:14 AM   #1
Starbuck88
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 2,552 Times in 1,723 Posts
Garage
The RC and Modelling Thread...

Hi Guys,

I think we should have a thread in here that everybody into RC Cars, Planes, Boats and also Modellers that make the ships, cars, planes from Airfix etc have a place to keep us updated with what they are up to and discuss everything around the hobby.

So to kick it off, took my Baja out to a local spot and had a great time, it came back looking a little worse for wear.. (The bodyshell was also covered in mud but got split in a few places, I think a new shell and new paint job is in order)

Never done this before with the Baja so I took out the Radio Box and sandwich bagged the air filter and gave it a good..SNOW FOAM woop woop

I then added these shock limiting cables to help keep the shocks in shape as constant full extension can eventually cause the internal parts to break down..

(Excuse the mud, this was because I didn't get to that spot on the exhaust with the jetwasher and the bit below was actually behind the swaybar that I took off after cleaning )

The stock beadlocks had pulled over the screws in a few places, so I had to upgrade to these awesome heavy duty after market ones..

Finally I added some 'Bone Guards', they go in front of the rear drive shafts to prevent stones, rocks, grass and generally keep stuff away from that drive line that would cause damage.

My offside rear tyre is cracked and split, not all the way through but I think I'm going to get a set of extra hard compound tyres and replace them, I just know the next time I go out, my run is going to be ended with a shredded tyre

Cheers all, hope I haven't bored you
Starbuck88 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Starbuck88 For This Useful Post:
7MAT (02-06-2014), BM-Stu (21-06-2014), dubber (07-02-2015), Muscleflex (23-06-2014), s29nta (02-06-2014), sfstu (02-06-2014)
Old 02-06-2014, 12:04 PM   #2
s29nta

Thanked 1,603 Times in 1,460 Posts
good idea for a thread mate, will put up some pics of my tmaxx when i get chance
s29nta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to s29nta For This Useful Post:
Starbuck88 (02-06-2014)
Old 02-06-2014, 12:22 PM   #3
M4D YN
MR PREFERENTIAL

Thanked 1,164 Times in 1,049 Posts
Send a message via MSN to M4D YN
Hi asonda

How much and where would i get one like yours??
M4D YN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to M4D YN For This Useful Post:
Starbuck88 (02-06-2014)
Old 02-06-2014, 12:31 PM   #4
Steve

Thanked 1,212 Times in 1,020 Posts
Mint.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:31 PM   #5
Steve

Thanked 1,212 Times in 1,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s29nta View Post
good idea for a thread mate, will put up some pics of my tmaxx when i get chance
wang em up!
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:36 PM   #6
Starbuck88

Garage
Quote:
Thanks, I think we could have a great thread on our hands here

Looking forward to your tmaxx pics, a friend had one when they first came out, I opted for the Terra Crusher. This was over 10 years ago though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4D YN View Post
Hi asonda

How much and where would i get one like yours??
Hiya, mine is a 'HPi Baja 5b SS'..

The SS is a kit and you have to build it.

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/hpi-baja...roducts/380700

You will need radio gear and a throttle servo too.

Going from Electric to Nitro then to Petrol, I'm not going back, this 1/5th 26cc is absolutely savage and watching videos on YouTube etc doesn't really do them any justice.

You can buy a RTR version (Ready to go, including radio gear) of the 5b but it's not SS spec, it has a 23cc engine and some parts plastic instead of metal but you can upgrade later on anyway.

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/hpi-baja...roducts/383090

You can get copies from KM and Rovan but they are absolutely garbage, people buy them for £399 thinking they are making an amazing saving but their quality is diabolical, so they end up fitting all HPI parts anyway and end up always disappointed, don't do it. It's not fair on yourself and not fair on HPI who make a brilliant product!

If the cost of new is too much, then look out on various forums like baja-forum.co.uk when used come available as they will be much much better than the cheapo copies

If you look on ebay for used ones, make sure you do a bit of homework and not buy one of the copies/clones!

If you find one, you can stick a link in here and I'd help as much as I can to make sure you aren't buying a lemon.
The Following User Says Thank You to Starbuck88 For This Useful Post:
M4D YN (02-06-2014)
Old 02-06-2014, 12:41 PM   #7
M4D YN
MR PREFERENTIAL

Thanked 1,164 Times in 1,049 Posts
Send a message via MSN to M4D YN
Quote:
Originally Posted by asonda View Post
Thanks, I think we could have a great thread on our hands here

Looking forward to your tmaxx pics, a friend had one when they first came out, I opted for the Terra Crusher. This was over 10 years ago though!

Hiya, mine is a 'HPi Baja 5b SS'..

The SS is a kit and you have to build it.

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/hpi-baja...roducts/380700

You will need radio gear and a throttle servo too.

Going from Electric to Nitro then to Petrol, I'm not going back, this 1/5th 26cc is absolutely savage and watching videos on YouTube etc doesn't really do them any justice.

You can buy a RTR version (Ready to go, including radio gear) of the 5b but it's not SS spec, it has a 23cc engine and some parts plastic instead of metal but you can upgrade later on anyway.

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/hpi-baja...roducts/383090

You can get copies from KM and Rovan but they are absolutely garbage, people buy them for £399 thinking they are making an amazing saving but their quality is diabolical, so they end up fitting all HPI parts anyway and end up always disappointed, don't do it. It's not fair on yourself and not fair on HPI who make a brilliant product!

If the cost of new is too much, then look out on various forums like baja-forum.co.uk when used come available as they will be much much better than the cheapo copies

If you look on ebay for used ones, make sure you do a bit of homework and not buy one of the copies/clones!

If you find one, you can stick a link in here and I'd help as much as I can to make sure you aren't buying a lemon.

Thanks so much,looking for a new hobby again and had Petrol in the past on a big scale,then went to Nitro again and got sick of it,any vids of yours in action??

Rgds Scott
M4D YN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to M4D YN For This Useful Post:
Starbuck88 (02-06-2014)
Old 02-06-2014, 12:48 PM   #8
s29nta

Thanked 1,603 Times in 1,460 Posts
just off to the model shop to get some fuel, going to wake the little fella up pics to follow
s29nta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to s29nta For This Useful Post:
Starbuck88 (02-06-2014)
Old 02-06-2014, 12:52 PM   #9
Davemm

I used to race the following across the county

Davemm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Davemm For This Useful Post:
BM-Stu (21-06-2014), Starbuck88 (02-06-2014)
Old 02-06-2014, 12:56 PM   #10
Starbuck88

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by M4D YN View Post
Thanks so much,looking for a new hobby again and had Petrol in the past on a big scale,then went to Nitro again and got sick of it,any vids of yours in action??

Rgds Scott
This is the latest video I have, it wasn't running right as I had it stood for 2 years due to work and life, it transpired that it had rusty crank bearings.

I have new video footage of the weekend just gone but it's on a friends camera, so no Idea when I'll get it to upload

Quote:
just off to the model shop to get some fuel, going to wake the little fella up pics to follow
Wicked, can't wait to see the pics
The Following User Says Thank You to Starbuck88 For This Useful Post:
BM-Stu (21-06-2014)