Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Tools -Machine polishers, Pressure Washers, Detailing Equipment & Microfiber
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tools -Machine polishers, Pressure Washers, Detailing Equipment & Microfiber Sponsored by Detailed Clean : www.DetailedClean.co.uk – | Bilt Hamber | Dodo Juice | Nanolex | Sonus | Wolfs Chemicals + More | Loyalty Scheme Discounts |

Old 11-10-2018, 12:32 PM   #41
Demented
Sponge Jockey

\Rian..... I created this thread on the 7th Sept 18, ordered the pads on the 9th and they were delivered on the 11th Sept.

When I ordered the pads I had no idea I would develope a back injury.

Although you're an advocate of polishing pad direct from China, have received them within 10 -15 days and are effectively trying to save me money; when I see a listing on eBay or Amazon which states an estimated delivery time of 28 days or longer, it's just too long to wait, even now.

At the time, the weather was good, I had full mobility and was eager to use my new polisher.

Last edited by Demented; 11-10-2018 at 12:35 PM.
Demented is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 12:52 PM   #42
\Rian
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demented View Post
Rian..... I created this thread on the 7th Sept 18, ordered the pads on the 9th and they were delivered on the 11th Sept.

When I ordered the pads I had no idea I would develope a back injury.

Although you're an advocate of polishing pad direct from China, have received them within 10 -15 days and are effectively trying to save me money; when I see a listing on eBay or Amazon which states an estimated delivery time of 28 days or longer, it's just too long to wait, even now.

At the time, the weather was good, I had full mobility and was eager to use my new polisher.
It might be worth picking some up for future in that case the ones in the forensic details video the ones John actually does think are any good are below, however they are only about £15 on ebay but

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/6-Po...2d812e0evGifOz

6 for under a £10.

I personally think all pads are made in china however some are just resold on ebay and other places so I like going direct to the source as it were and saving some ££

I appreciate your requirement for them a lot sooner than 15 days but I don't want you to think you would have to wait 4 to 6 weeks

How did you find the Chinese pads? I found as most people they were to soft to perform a decent job so hoping the ones recommended by john in the above link will be better than the hex as the above are a dual foam construction and look a lot better to
\Rian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 12:55 PM   #43
Demented
Sponge Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE CHAMP View Post
I spray paint so use quite a few pads as all my jobs are wet flatted down to 2000 grit and need to be polished. I have been using the ZFE store on ebay and never had a problem with either the pads or the service. so for those that would sooner buy the same pads from sellers here at a much higher price crack on
Thanks for your recommendation but even if you had posted earlier; the waiting time for pads from China is too long.

The Forensic Detailing review had already recommended the ZFE store on ebay and stated the same as yourself.
Old 11-10-2018, 06:06 PM   #44
Demented
Sponge Jockey

\Rian......I've not yet got round to using the pads, which seems ironic considering.

I didn't deem it necessary to buy the SPTA Dual Foam pads, although, I appreciate the link, as I'm only restoring colour to a 16 year old Vx Astra; my thought process, was to acquire pads only to replicate what I've already achieved by hand but quicker.
Old 11-10-2018, 06:20 PM   #45
\Rian

Garage
Quote:
Rian......I've not yet got round to using the pads, which seems ironic considering.

I didn't deem it necessary to buy the SPTA Dual Foam pads, although, I appreciate the link, as I'm only restoring colour to a 16 year old Vx Astra; my thought process, was to acquire pads only to replicate what I've already achieved by hand but quicker.
"Only Restoring Colour" that is not just the yearly polish if the paint has faded sounds like you could need a compound and would have benefited from a firmer pad, I wish you luck and hope you can get a result your happy with,

I only used the ones I brought for a minor refinement e.g finishing polish as my paint had been compounded and corrected the previous year however it did not remove all defects, but did bring it to a Point I was happy with I only used Sonax Profilile perfect finish also so its not an aggressive polish

Understandably its not just the polish but a combo of pad and polish, mind you it was hard VW paint so I wasn't expecting a flawless finish.

For my New car a Seat Altea that has never seen a polish in its 12 years I will be trying the Dual Foam pads as the Hex ones wont give the cut I require.

What polish/Compund are you trying with what pad can I ask ?
Old 11-10-2018, 10:31 PM   #46
Demented
Sponge Jockey

\Rian..... Don't shoot me, but I completely restored the colour, by hand using T Cut Original, which took absolutely ages, (hence buying the DA Polisher) followed by an application of Red Colour Magic.

That was before, I posted on here: http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...estore+protect

The colour and lustre has remained since, without fading and judging by the beading after a downpour or a power wash, the Colour Magic is still apparent.

Forum member Stangalang suggested I should of used Meguiars #7 Show Car Glaze followed by a Wax.

Then another forum member; alfajim, offered a full bottle of Show Car Glaze for free, which arrived with a tin of Wax.

I intend to apply the Show Car Glaze via the DA polisher & pads followed by the Carnauba Wax, applied and buffed off by hand.

I'm not entirely sure which pad to start with but I planned to start with the softest pad first, which when ordered, I believed was the Black one but since the findings by locoblade, now it appears to be the Blue pad; so I guess I'll just work my way up in pad density unitl I see the desired result.

Last edited by Demented; 12-10-2018 at 01:46 AM.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:21 AM   #47
\Rian

Garage
Quote:
Rian..... Don't shoot me, but I completely restored the colour, by hand using T Cut Original, which took absolutely ages, (hence buying the DA Polisher) followed by an application of Red Colour Magic.

That was before, I posted on here: http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...estore+protect

The colour and lustre has remained since, without fading and judging by the beading after a downpour or a power wash, the Colour Magic is still apparent.

Forum member Stangalang suggested I should of used Meguiars #7 Show Car Glaze followed by a Wax.

Then another forum member; alfajim, offered a full bottle of Show Car Glaze for free, which arrived with a tin of Wax.

I intend to apply the Show Car Glaze via the DA polisher & pads followed by the Carnauba Wax, applied and buffed off by hand.

I'm not entirely sure which pad to start with but I planned to start with the softest pad first, which when ordered, I believed was the Black one but since the findings by locoblade, now it appears to be the Blue pad; so I guess I'll just work my way up in pad density unitl I see the desired result.
You have more Patience's than I ever would I could not imagine t-cutting a car byhand,

Pad firmness is debatable when it comes to these pads however I think your on the right track, I would have loved to see some before and afters.
Old 14-10-2018, 01:47 PM   #48
Demented
Sponge Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rian View Post
You have more Patience's than I ever would I could not imagine t-cutting a car byhand,

Pad firmness is debatable when it comes to these pads however I think your on the right track, I would have loved to see some before and afters.
I have posted photos, showing the level of oxidation and different stages of progress, they're at the bottom of the last page here.

I've added a photo of the bonnet prior to T Cutting and also a photo of the restored rear quarter panel, which also shows the state of oxidation to the doors, roof and tailgate.

Although the T Cutting was time consuming, it wasn't so bad; one panel at a time and a sense of achievement as the colour and depth returned spurred me on; the masking out was the worse part.

Last edited by Demented; 14-10-2018 at 01:52 PM.