Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Pre-wash stages, Washing, Drying, Clay & 'Quick Detailing'
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pre-wash stages, Washing, Drying, Clay & 'Quick Detailing' Sponsored by Ultimate Finish. Suppliers of high quality detailing products including Swissvax, Gtechniq, Specialised Covers, Dodo Juice, R222, Bilt-Hamber, Meguiars, 3M, Aqua Gleam and more. Loyalty Scheme for returning customers. www.TheUltimateFinish.co.uk

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13-08-2018, 09:58 AM   #1
JimBobJones
Unwashed Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 18
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Wax safe fallout remover?

Hi all,
Newbie here, I recently bought some Dodo Juice Ferrous Dueller fallout remover to do some decontamination on an older before polishing and waxing. I figured this stuff would be fairly harsh, but was surprised to read that it is pH neutral, even if they still seem a bit cautious in their description:

Quote:
Our Ferrous Dueller is pH neutral to minimise the chance of inadvertent damage to sensitive finishes
AutoGlym seem a bit more definite in their Q&A:
Quote:
Is Magma pH Neutral?

Yes. It will not remove wax layers for your paintwork.
I don't expect to need to use fallout remover as a regular step on my cars, but I'd be keen to try it around the wheel arches / lower doors, if it was fairly safe to use.

What's the general consensus?

Tom
JimBobJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2018, 10:14 AM   #2
\Rian
Orbital Oracle
 
\Rian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Taunton
Posts: 673
Thanks: 16
Thanked 216 Times in 180 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBobJones View Post
Hi all,
Newbie here, I recently bought some Dodo Juice Ferrous Dueller fallout remover to do some decontamination on an older before polishing and waxing. I figured this stuff would be fairly harsh, but was surprised to read that it is pH neutral, even if they still seem a bit cautious in their description:



AutoGlym seem a bit more definite in their Q&A:


I don't expect to need to use fallout remover as a regular step on my cars, but I'd be keen to try it around the wheel arches / lower doors, if it was fairly safe to use.

What's the general consensus?

Tom
I dont think so, fall out remover is general used when doing a decontamination before polishing and applying a new sealant or wax so its not designed to be wax safe as the general consensus is you will be applying a wax or sealant after so the manufacturers wont take in to consideration it being wax safe.

Fall out remover should only be used in a full decontamination in my opinion.

Can you explain the scenario where you want to remove fall out but keep you wax safe.

The fallout will be under the coat of wax if you have on and if it was wax safe it wouldent remove the fall out as it would be covered by wax?
\Rian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2018, 10:21 AM   #3
wish wash
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
wish wash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Causing mischief in the R35
Posts: 1,324
Thanks: 42
Thanked 546 Times in 452 Posts
It will degrade your wax. While it may be PH neutral, once it's reacted with the contaminants it isn't PH neutral anymore. You can use them on coatings though to unclog the coating to bring it back.
wish wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2018, 11:10 AM   #4
great gonzo
Distinguished Detailer
 
great gonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Reigate Surrey.
Posts: 8,619
Thanks: 2,711
Thanked 3,264 Times in 2,419 Posts
It won’t strip wax but it will certainly degrade it from my experience.

Gonz.
great gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2018, 04:03 PM   #5
Luke M
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
Luke M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,920
Thanks: 1,092
Thanked 1,492 Times in 856 Posts
As above. Will have a detrimental affect due to the fact that it becomes acidic under reaction. Legally the description of how it is in the bottle is fine and since many put onus on pH neutral or balanced being a positive you'll see that detail mentioned but not elaborated on.
Luke M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2018, 04:22 PM   #6
JimBobJones
Unwashed Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 18
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks all.
My gut said bad, so I still think those statements from the manufacturers are misleading - regardless of if it's reacted or not.
JimBobJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2018, 04:42 PM   #7
brooklandsracer
Orbital Oracle
 
brooklandsracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Southend
Posts: 630
Thanks: 270
Thanked 286 Times in 237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBobJones View Post
Thanks all.
My gut said bad, so I still think those statements from the manufacturers are misleading - regardless of if it's reacted or not.
I don't find what Autoglym say as misleading.
They are a top company that do rigorous tests on their products to churn out nationwide.
I would go by what the makers say rather than every tom dick and harry disagreeing on here. They entitled to opinions but they are not facts.
brooklandsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2018, 05:25 PM   #8
\Rian
Orbital Oracle
 
\Rian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Taunton
Posts: 673
Thanks: 16
Thanked 216 Times in 180 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklandsracer View Post
I don't find what Autoglym say as misleading.
They are a top company that do rigorous tests on their products to churn out nationwide.
I would go by what the makers say rather than every tom dick and harry disagreeing on here. They entitled to opinions but they are not facts.
If you have fall out imbedded in your paint and you wax over it then the fall out is under the wax correct?

Then spray fall out remover on your car, does the fall out under the wax stay imbedded or is it removed.

If you agree it has been removed from under the wax then how is it wax safe? as it will have to remove wax to remove the fall out.

Or are you saying the auto glym fall out remover lifts up the wax, pulls out the contamination and lays the wax back down when you rinse it of

If you waxed and then got fall out then the fall out wont be in the wax layer but imbedded directly in the paint so where is the wax then, well its gone!

Think about this logically how can it be wax safe when its pulling stuff directly out of the paint.
\Rian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2018, 05:42 PM   #9
brooklandsracer
Orbital Oracle
 
brooklandsracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Southend
Posts: 630
Thanks: 270
Thanked 286 Times in 237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rian View Post
If you have fall out imbedded in your paint and you wax over it then the fall out is under the wax correct?

Then spray fall out remover on your car, does the fall out under the wax stay imbedded or is it removed.

If you agree it has been removed from under the wax then how is it wax safe? as it will have to remove wax to remove the fall out.

Or are you saying the auto glym fall out remover lifts up the wax, pulls out the contamination and lays the wax back down when you rinse it of

If you waxed and then got fall out then the fall out wont be in the wax layer but imbedded directly in the paint so where is the wax then, well its gone!

Think about this logically how can it be wax safe when its pulling stuff directly out of the paint.
No before waxing waxing you would use the fallout remover so that you wax on clean surface,
Then wax goes on and say in a few weeks or a month you use fallout remover again to get rid of any debris/fallout hence wax still there protecting paintwork.
brooklandsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 12:43 PM   #10
roscopervis
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
roscopervis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Gorseinon, Swansea
Posts: 1,586
Thanks: 127
Thanked 405 Times in 339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklandsracer View Post
No before waxing waxing you would use the fallout remover so that you wax on clean surface,
Then wax goes on and say in a few weeks or a month you use fallout remover again to get rid of any debris/fallout hence wax still there protecting paintwork.
Read your last sentence again. Fallout remover that is reacting with fallout is acidic. Thioglycolic acid is the reason it changes colour. Now if, in a few weeks or a month you use a a fallout remover to get rid of any debris/fallout from a paint surface waxed about a month ago, the acid reaction pulling fallout from the waxed surface is going to degrade the protection layer somewhat.
roscopervis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
DTO Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
DTO Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors