Detailing World Forum banner

advice needed

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  olliewills 
#1 ·
hi, I,m planning on sorting a couple of stone chips so I need a polish to follow the wet sanding (2500,3000 grit).This will need to be done by hand as I do,nt have a machine also the chips are in awkward areas so access is a bit tight.
The car is a 1yr old kia sportage in silver, so can anyone recommend anything suitable.
thanks in advance guys

#2 ·
hi, I,m planning on sorting a couple of stone chips so I need a polish to follow the wet sanding (2500,3000 grit).This will need to be done by hand as I do,nt have a machine also the chips are in awkward areas so access is a bit tight.
The car is a 1yr old kia sportage in silver, so can anyone recommend anything suitable.
thanks in advance guys
totally no offence but unless ur 100% sure what ur doing get a professional to do it. at only a year old its an expensive bit of kit to practice on!

if ur adiment you want to give it a go get a scrap panel from a breakers and give that a try first

#3 ·
thanks ,thinking i,ve missed the obvious as i,ve got access to a old(02 plate)micra which is in a bit of a state .I could,nt make it any worse so I could use that to practise on ,it.s full of scrapes,rust, minor dents etc., and it,s silver as well not exactly same shade but to be honest it would,nt matter

#4 ·
A few random tips I hope will help you if you decide to fix the chips yourself.

- make sure you get the panel and particularly the chips themselves really clean. Use an IPA solution or similar dedicated product on a cotton wool bud.
- if your touch-up paint comes in two parts, mix a few drops of each together in a small container just before you apply them. This week give you shine all the way through the touch-up paint as you cut it back.
- apply the paint to a cool panel, out of direct sun
- use a tiny 0000 model painters brush or toothpick as the brushes in the paint pots are rubbish.
- leave the paint slightly proud of the surrounding panel
- once the paint is dry, mask off the area all around the paint before you start to cut it back. Try and get your masking tape within about 1mm of the chip.
- sand back the paint by cutting a small circle of paper and glueing it to one of those pencils with a rubber on top. This'll keep things nice and precise so you trice the risk of damaging the surrounding good paint.
- once you've sanded the paint level, remove the masking tape and compound the area of the chip to blend it into the rest of the panel and restore the shine.

There are no doubt loads of other good ways to do this, but this is how I did it and it came up well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.