Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > General > Detailing Chat
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Detailing Chat Got a detailing related question that doesn't fit in any other section? Post it in here.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:27 PM   #1
SRI-TED
Unwashed Member

Trouble with Audi paint

I have just purchased an Audi A3 sine on a late 2007 in solid black. The paint is terrible with swirl marks, scratches and the worst stone chips ever.

So far I have filled and wet sanded the chips and tried to buff out the other imperfections

My problem is the items I am using don't seem to be doing the trick.

Tools
3M fast cut plus with a perfect it head, that appears to be not cutting as deep as I require as it still leaves sanding marks and deeper scratches and swirls
Then I use maguirs ultimate compound, auto glym super resin and auto glym hi def wax but I;m not getting a deep swirl, scratch free shine

All of the above worked amazing on my metallic black astra but i'm not impressed this time.

Any recommendations guys
SRI-TED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:38 PM   #2
Paddy_R
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Do you have a DA or rotary? The new Meguairs Microfibre DA kit is getting very good reviews.
Paddy_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:55 PM   #3
Laurie.J.M

Garage
Audi's have rock hard paint so it may take a while whatever you use.
Laurie.J.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:00 PM   #4
alxg

Is it the Green pad you use with FC+?

Try stepping up to a wool pad for more cut but be careful, I would want to be checking each pass with a PTG though to be safe. Sometimes it's best to not go chasing every RDS as you could end up taking away lots of clear unnecessarily.
alxg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:51 AM   #5
SRI-TED
Unwashed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alxg View Post
Is it the Green pad you use with FC+?

Try stepping up to a wool pad for more cut but be careful, I would want to be checking each pass with a PTG though to be safe. Sometimes it's best to not go chasing every RDS as you could end up taking away lots of clear unnecessarily.
Yes I tried my wool head when I flatted some of the deeper scratches with 2000 grit. This again did not seem to get all of the sand marks out. I have a silverline vari speed polisher.
I thought that Audi paint was soft seeing all the marks on the car

Should I try another polish other than 3M ?
Old 07-09-2011, 08:05 AM   #6
alxg

Do you have all of the 3M polishes then? I would have thought you could sort pretty much anything using the system.
I too have an Audi and on Phantom Black met paint I managed to knock out all but some RDS on my bonnet with just 3M Yellow polish/pad combo so maybe after compounding you could try going down the whole range; I would have thought FC left it's own marks which would be dealt with by the EF and so on. With solid black I think this is unavoidable as it shows everything so thorough working of the EF and UF stages should give you the finish you are looking for.
alxg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:11 AM   #7
Reflectology

Location: Sheffield or there or there abouts....often caught short in the Rainforests of the Shires....
Thanked 2,170 Times in 1,011 Posts
Garage
there is a simple solution....either get a pro to sort it for you and you maintain it but as i assume you want to have a crack at it yourself just get some Scholl S3 Gold Edition and S17+...along with Spider Sandwich Pads and Orange Foam Pads....will be swirl free in no time mate with a high wet look gloss that for me is unrivalled straight from correction....

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=224974
Reflectology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:52 AM   #8
dooka
DW Supporter & Woollie Pad Man

Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,617 Posts
Garage
Phantom Black Audis have a cement like ceramicoat, which can be hell to correct, it also likes to drop back sometimes. Not sure if Solid/Brilliant Black has the same clear coat.

As Reflectology says, maybe think about getting it done professionally, then keep on top of it yourself.

I see a fair amount of cars, where the owner has had a go themselves, and left the car in right state, often with copious amounts of strike through or very little paint left..

Don't forget, most of the pros have years of experience with a rotary, and make it look easy, the guides certainly make it look easy, but with no prior knowledge or experience, you may run in to problems sooner than you think..

Good luck with what ever route you take..
dooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:14 AM   #9
tom-225

Garage
what about maybe trying some 3000 unigrit, this would then leave you with a better state to start correcting rather than the 2000 youve used at the moment.
tom-225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:26 AM   #10
SRI-TED
Unwashed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dooka View Post
Phantom Black Audis have a cement like ceramicoat, which can be hell to correct, it also likes to drop back sometimes. Not sure if Solid/Brilliant Black has the same clear coat.

As Reflectology says, maybe think about getting it done professionally, then keep on top of it yourself.

I see a fair amount of cars, where the owner has had a go themselves, and left the car in right state, often with copious amounts of strike through or very little paint left..

Don't forget, most of the pros have years of experience with a rotary, and make it look easy, the guides certainly make it look easy, but with no prior knowledge or experience, you may run in to problems sooner than you think..

Good luck with what ever route you take..
I am a have a go hero TBH, heres my last effort which I was very pleased with

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=208602