Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Technical > Help..!
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Help..! Questions relating to products and how to use them.

Old 09-10-2017, 03:28 PM   #1
stephentw
Unwashed Member

Should I get a DA? New car polish/wax

Hi, been reading for a while but not really posted much. I'm getting a new Honda Civic (metallic blue) and wanting to get it well protected from the off so I'm getting some new things (clay glove, possibly a DA, claying will be a first for me and this seems like a good starting point from what I've read).

So firstly do I need to polish a new car (I think the consensus is generally yes) and would I be best doing it with a DA if I've never used one or have some minimal practice on my old car and girlfriends car before I get the new one?

I've been watching videos on YouTube (some by a member here I think) and it seems like something I could pick up fairly easy I think but I don't want to be over confident.

Also if I get one what polish is appropriate for a Civic? I've read paint is soft and people recommend hexalogic pads in white for polishing and black for finishing on this type of paint. Feel a bit undecided on the polish though. I've read about scholl? I think and chemical guys. But don't know much about grades or what is appropriate for my paint. I have some dodo juice lime prime but that's more for prep I think.

Can I use a DA for sealant (I have BH auto balm) and lime prime too? There's so much information I feel confused. Help!
stephentw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 05:03 PM   #2
Harry_VW
Unwashed Member

DA's are generally very safe to use. I would suggest buying 3 grades of polish and three grades of pads. Then use different combinations to find out what is required for your paint. Start at the least aggressive and work your way down. Yes they can be used to apply LSP

Last edited by Harry_VW; 10-10-2017 at 12:15 PM.
Harry_VW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 11:48 AM   #3
stephentw
Unwashed Member

Ok thanks for that. Any recommendations on the type of polish? How will I know what is good for my paint? I've never used these types of polish as by hand I only ever used auto glym and Meguiars.
Old 10-10-2017, 12:19 PM   #4
Harry_VW
Unwashed Member

Some options would be: Scholl, s3, s20, s40. Menzerna FG400, SF2400, SF4000/3800.

There are many options out there to discover
Harry_VW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 01:16 PM   #5
chongo
"Professor"

Thanked 4,231 Times in 2,542 Posts
Garage
For soft paint I find that water based polishes like Sonax perfect finish with either a white hex quantum polishing pad or green if you have deeper swirls are a very good combination.

Before you decide which to go for I would suggest you practice on a scrap panel before you go near your paint as soft paint isn't very forgiving.
chongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 10:08 PM   #6
Mark@PD
DW Supporter

Hi Hope you enjoy your new car. Don't forget to use a fallout remover and tardis, just because it's new doesn't mean it won't need them.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
Old 10-10-2017, 10:40 PM   #7
Forsh
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
When you check out some of the new car details in "The Studio" it's surprising how many defects show up on a new car.
Sadly it seams many are caused by the dealer rather than from the factory (but not exclusively) so first step would be to ask the dealer not to "prep" it and have it delivered with all factory protection in place.
Then take it from there as to how much correction it requires

Safe wash is an obvious must

Forsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 10:53 PM   #8
stephentw
Unwashed Member

Thanks everyone. I think the s40 scholl is something I've read being good for Honda paint before actually. I'll look into sonax too. Do these leave white residue in every little crack? I disliked that about polishing by hand.

I have ironx for wheels, is that a fallout remover? I know it can be used on paint too. No tardis yet but it's on the list.

I did think about getting the garage to not prep it but I'm not sure when I'm going to get chance to do all this because I'm tied by the weather, no big garage to work in unfortunately so I'm going to collect the car as normal and go from there. My plan is:

Snow foam

Wash/dry

Iron x

Tardis (or is this better before ironx)

Rinse

Clay mitt

Polish

Clean polish off (ipa I think?)

Sealant

Does that look good?

Couple of questions, I have bilt hamber auto balm and optiseal sealants. I previously used BH on paint and Optiseal on wheels. Is one better than the other, should I just use one for the whole lot?