Detailing World Forum banner

Dull, lifeless and hazy... but enough of my sex-life, you should see my car's paint!

3K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  President Swirl 
#1 ·
Hey folks,

Just joined and new to machine polishing, but already got my kit on order thanks to this site. After lurking on the forum for a couple of days, I decided to get the DAS-6 Pro from cleanyourcar.co.uk, and the Meguiars Microfibre DA kit from Clean and Shiny (brilliant price on there), along with some plush Chemical Guys microfibre buffing cloths.

I have an '06 BMW e90 in Mystic Blue (hard paint I believe, hence the Meguiars MF kit), which is now back on the road after being laid up for nearly 2 years. The challenge I have... other than oxidisation, the kids' suncream handprints and the usual swirls... is that the Mystic Blue paint is very flat looking in overcast weather, even when clean and polished. It really only comes alive on those (very) rare sunny days when the metallic flecks catch the sun. Therefore I'm looking for a really wet look finish for the car so that even in dull weather the paint looks nice and rich.

Hope to learn lots from you guys and looking forward to getting stuck in. :)

#13 ·
Hi Cooks,

Not yet but plan to take some before and after pics as I go along. Decided that the bonnet paint is a write off due to the number of stone chips (looks like the sky on a starry night) but the rest is in decent nick barring the odd repairable scratch here and there. The advantage of the bonnet needing a respray is I can use it to cut my teeth with the machine polisher and practice wet sanding/ polishing paint touch up repairs :)

Now... just need some decent weather :rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.