Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 02-08-2018, 10:30 AM   #101
lincolndanny
PC Perfectionist

Decent update their James and I love how you get the trackdays in. I’ve done a few evening sessions before at Cadwell (lucky to have it as our local track) and as you say, the vibe just seems so much calmer.

Whats next on the agenda with the Mini then?
lincolndanny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lincolndanny For This Useful Post:
hoggers (02-08-2018), jas_racing (02-08-2018)
Old 04-08-2018, 05:36 PM   #102
James_G
PC Perfectionist

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenekeorr View Post
WHAT AN UPDATE, I missed the last one too - so double updates

I like that idea of mounting the resistor out of sight and wiring it directly into where the old resistor was. Seems like a very sensible solution and worth the extra bit of work. I really don’t like seeing my resistor and wires plonked there every time I open the bonnet - it looks a bit amateurish compared to yours!

That track day looks immense and the track day wheels make the car look really purposeful. Good clean fun!

I reckon mine would explode

Thanks James. Locating the resistor there was a bit more work definitely, but having the front off did at least give me a chance to have a good look over things and check if it had been put back right. Turns out a couple of fixings were missing which I've now sourced from BMW and will fit shortly.

I'm sure yours wouldn't explode on the track though especially as you've serviced your supercharger and I haven't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolndanny View Post
Decent update their James and I love how you get the trackdays in. I’ve done a few evening sessions before at Cadwell (lucky to have it as our local track) and as you say, the vibe just seems so much calmer.

Whats next on the agenda with the Mini then?

Thanks Danny. Great that you have Cadwell so near. I definitely want to do it but it's a 5 hour drive from Guildford so would involve a night away which, with two young children, requires quite a lot of planning.

Next on the agenda though is the MOT on Monday but before that I have a new exhaust bracket to fit as the old one has rusted through on the RHS and is no longer secure. Hopefully this will solve the odd knocking noise I've been hearing for the last two months or so.
James_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 06:50 PM   #103
jbenekeorr
PC Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_G View Post
Thanks James. Locating the resistor there was a bit more work definitely, but having the front off did at least give me a chance to have a good look over things and check if it had been put back right. Turns out a couple of fixings were missing which I've now sourced from BMW and will fit shortly.

I'm sure yours wouldn't explode on the track though especially as you've serviced your supercharger and I haven't!

Thanks Danny. Great that you have Cadwell so near. I definitely want to do it but it's a 5 hour drive from Guildford so would involve a night away which, with two young children, requires quite a lot of planning.

Next on the agenda though is the MOT on Monday but before that I have a new exhaust bracket to fit as the old one has rusted through on the RHS and is no longer secure. Hopefully this will solve the odd knocking noise I've been hearing for the last two months or so.

Any news on the MOT, or is that part of a forthcoming update?

Do you happen to be going to Mini in the park this Sunday?
jbenekeorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 02:44 PM   #104
James_G
PC Perfectionist

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenekeorr View Post
Any news on the MOT, or is that part of a forthcoming update?

Do you happen to be going to Mini in the park this Sunday?

MOT news is good, update coming up shortly. Not going to Mini in the Park unfortunately. Are you heading up there?
Old 10-08-2018, 02:46 PM   #105
jbenekeorr
PC Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_G View Post
MOT news is good, update coming up shortly. Not going to Mini in the Park unfortunately. Are you heading up there?
Great to hear!!

Yes I’m most likely going, although the weather doesn’t look great.
jbenekeorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 03:23 PM   #106
James_G
PC Perfectionist

Garage
Track day done, the next item to attend to was the MOT. Given I'd done the brakes and the suspension recently I was confident of a pass but regular readers may recall I'd complained of a noise coming from the rear after changing the rear shocks.

More recent investigation had shown that the hanger for one of the exhaust rear boxes had rusted right through and while still reasonably supported, it "could" be the source of the noise and not the rear shocks.

So I ordered a new hanger from BMW along with two bolts, as I assumed they'd need replacing too, and the night before the MOT set to work.

After a bit of a fight, the old one came off and here it is compared to the new one.

But inevitably this happened:

Of course the bolts that I thought would be stubborn turned out to be absolutely fine, whereas this shearing I hadn't anticipated. Anyway, I pressed on and got it back together, albeit with one of the supports now (temporarily) held in with one rather than both nuts. I shall try and return the bolts I didn't need as they were a ridiculous £3 each.

While ordering those parts I also got hold of a few missing trim screws and the like to finish off the refitting of the front bumper. First that meant using the trusty Dremel again for the two front fittings that had rusted together and couldn't be extracted.

And here's the selection of parts needed, and also showing those that I'd cut off:

Despite giving my local BMW the part numbers directly, as extracted from RealOEM there was a total farce with this order and in fact previous orders now I think about it. They ring to tell me parts have arrived but by the time I get there, usually the same day, nobody can tell me where they are. Then despite ordering 4 of something only 2 arrive and most recently despite telling me that had 60 bolts in stock they couldn't find any of them. Anyway, I digress.

With the old items cut out I can get the new ones in, along with some missing screws.

And the wheel arch liners get fitted back properly too. No idea why all these things were missing, but presumably due to a lack of attention to detail at the garage where the previous owner had work done.

Next morning I am on my way to the garage for the MOT when I notice that the odometer is very near to a nice set of numbers so I make a spurious 7 mile trip for no reason and just as I pull in this happens:

The MOT isn't until 11am so I head off for a late breakfast leaving the car at the same place I've been using for the last 10 years for MOTs.

Sometime later I get the text to tell me it's passed and here's the certificate, which is different since those changes that came in in April.

Oil under the car I knew about and I have the seal ready to fit, but it's a fiddly job that have been putting off. No idea why they mention the clutch because I know the operation is "poor" and I am reminded about it everytime I drive it! Internet lore suggests they are all heavy clutched but I am thinking there's something not right in the system somewhere.

So there we go and another 12 months of MOT. There's still the oil leak still to sort, plus I need to finish off the exhaust due to that sheared bolt and the driver's seat seems to be moving about on the rail so something to do there too. Never ending!

Cheers for reading.

Last edited by James_G; 10-08-2018 at 03:56 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to James_G For This Useful Post:
lincolndanny (10-08-2018), Sicskate (10-08-2018), wrxmania (10-08-2018)
Old 10-08-2018, 04:00 PM   #107
wrxmania
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Excellent update

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
wrxmania is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wrxmania For This Useful Post:
James_G (11-08-2018)
Old 10-08-2018, 04:12 PM   #108
JoranRaven
PC Perfectionist

Garage
Nice little update and dealer experience matches that of what I have experienced in the past... I now order from here: https://www.online-parts.co.uk/bmw-s...hp?language=en once I have the part numbers from RealOEM, it is genuine parts sent from BMW Rybrook once it arrives in the country. Shipping can be steep if you order an individual small piece etc

Hope to see some more updates soon
JoranRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JoranRaven For This Useful Post:
James_G (11-08-2018)
Old 10-08-2018, 10:03 PM   #109
bluechimp
Washmitt Meister

Superb update as usual mate

Glad to see its passed its MOT always a nervy time!
bluechimp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluechimp For This Useful Post:
James_G (11-08-2018)
Old 10-08-2018, 11:47 PM   #110
lincolndanny
PC Perfectionist

Can't really fault that, seem to be flying along with this one!

If this and the banana MG ZR were parked side by side, full of optimax on a sunny Sunday morning, which drivers door would you walk towards James?
lincolndanny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lincolndanny For This Useful Post:
James_G (28-08-2018)