Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Lifestyle > The Tech & Gadget Zone
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Tech & Gadget Zone Gadgety, Techy or even a Techy Gadget! Stick a post in here! Sponsored by SlimsDetailing - inspired by anybody who has a car they love and care for

Old 10-07-2018, 08:50 AM   #21
Stoner
PC Perfectionist

We went with the Arlo system. These are wireless but work extremely well and were easy to install. You also get free 7 day cloud storage. I prefer this option over an SD card because there have been incidents where the burglar steals the SD card!

The main drawback is they are only 720 resolution where a lot of the other solutions are now 1080. However, the 720 is still clear enough to identify people easily

https://www.arlo.com/uk/products/kit

Stoner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stoner For This Useful Post:
Starbuck88 (01-10-2018)
Old 10-07-2018, 09:14 AM   #22
gatecrasher3
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoner View Post
We went with the Arlo system. These are wireless but work extremely well and were easy to install. You also get free 7 day cloud storage. I prefer this option over an SD card because there have been incidents where the burglar steals the SD card!

The main drawback is they are only 720 resolution where a lot of the other solutions are now 1080. However, the 720 is still clear enough to identify people easily

https://www.arlo.com/uk/products/kit

I've been looking at these but have seen many people stating that there is a significant delay from movement being detected to the recording starting. This meaning that the footage you would most likely want isn't captured.

How have you found them in that respect?
gatecrasher3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gatecrasher3 For This Useful Post:
Starbuck88 (01-10-2018)
Old 10-07-2018, 12:01 PM   #23
nbray67

Thanked 2,375 Times in 1,750 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatecrasher3 View Post
I've been looking at these but have seen many people stating that there is a significant delay from movement being detected to the recording starting. This meaning that the footage you would most likely want isn't captured.

How have you found them in that respect?
We have a wired system x 4 camera’s and 2 Arlo camera’s.

The Arlo is great for a live feed but like many users, they eat batteries for fun. We have rechargeables in them but they need recharging all the time.

The delay in the motion activation even on the minimum setting isn’t too good, the person setting it off has generally walked past by the time it records and then it’s only 10secs of footage. Picture quality is very good even at 720p.

The slightest movement sets them off, eg - a washing line that we have sets ours off every minute, hence why we use it for live viewing only now as the wired system picks up the whole house surroundings.

Would I buy again, no, certainly not the std Arlo set up. The Pro version as rechargeable batteries as std I believe but it’s quite pricey.

Having wired cameras visible on the house I believe deters most criminals as they’d rather try an unguarded property. Arlo’s are magnetic mounts and can be stolen unless you have them mounted on a more secure fixing (ours are).
nbray67 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nbray67 For This Useful Post:
Starbuck88 (01-10-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 12:40 PM   #24
Starbuck88

Thanked 2,547 Times in 1,720 Posts
Garage
Haven't settled on anything just yet.

With the advice on this thread, I will go for a wired set up with a DVR. Ideally Ethernet with POE. I can make ends up no problem so would prefer this so I only have to make small holes to route the cables.

I would like one that actually responds at a reasonable pace to motion.

There's a host of kits on Amazon, Hikvision, Swann, Annke, Saance and the likes and tbh most just look like copies of one another.

The Netatmo Presence would be a good Idea but although it is directly wired to the mains...the connection for the CCTV Functionality is Wifi, so a no go

Any more recommendations?
Starbuck88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 12:58 PM   #25
sshooie
Orbital Oracle

Wired and HIK for me, I have motion and line crossing set up and it works well for me, I have some FA's (never had any issues with spiders) but these are car lights turning in our cul-de sac on a night.

Avoid the Swann/Yale etc. imo, they are designed for DIY. (apologies to those who have them)
sshooie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sshooie For This Useful Post:
Starbuck88 (01-10-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 01:10 PM   #26
tonz

I have a wired viper setup , been very reliable and don’t suffer with any freezing and apps on iPhone work great , like said earlier avoid movement detection , I set that up and had 60 texts in about 1 hour . Also go for something with a good sized hard drive , I have a 4 Tb , and lasts for about 4 months before it over writes

Last edited by tonz; 01-10-2018 at 01:12 PM.
tonz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tonz For This Useful Post:
Starbuck88 (01-10-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 02:02 PM   #27
Starbuck88

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonz View Post
like said earlier avoid movement detection , I set that up and had 60 texts in about 1 hour.
One of the reasons I want CCTV is for motion detection, I've watched loads of Youtube Videos now and decent systems can block out areas you don't want to motion sense and change sensitivity level and then there's the option to only motion sense between certain hours.

I wouldn't mind getting some false alerts, only need it to catch one crim or something dodgy for it to pay off.

Mainly doing this as used to living in a place where there is no crime at all and the house we have now, we still live in an area with next to no crime etc but just want peace of mind.

We have a motion activated light on the front of the property (more like a courtesy light though) and I do intend to put a motion detected flood on the rear when I finally decide on a system.

I like the idea of CCTV as you get a degree of control, you can always see your property and drive when you're on holiday etc Always having eyes on your 'safe' space is a nice luxury.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:07 PM   #28
sshooie
Orbital Oracle

I have areas masked for motion, total customisation for output/action/notification following a notification I have stills and footage of the event saved to Google drive and an email sent to the phone, this is set up on a schedule and dependant on the time and day of the week.

I get very few, if any 'false' alarms per week, it's all in the initial set up and if done properly won't be an issue.

As an example during the day I have lines set up on the drive that when crossed (you can chose one direction or both) so these are not even tripped by the postman provided they are on time (off between 11:00-11:30) in the same area's on an evening it puts on my courtesy lighting outside and has a soft chime downstairs so I can hear people walking up the drive (rare, we live in a cul-de sac)

On the HIK there is line crossing, intruder area's (you draw a shape and if entered it alerts) and general motion detection with varying mask and sensitivity options.

With the logic settings and outputs I've not found something it cant do, (if you have the right camera it will also do ANPR and facial recognition)

VFM and quality (not DIY) HIK is a no brainer ime

I bought 4 x 5mp camera's, 4ch DVR (- the HDD) 4 sets of baluns, 4 power adaptors and a PSU for £312.00

Just add Cat5/6 and a decent HDD

Last edited by sshooie; 01-10-2018 at 05:14 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sshooie For This Useful Post:
Cookies (01-10-2018), Starbuck88 (01-10-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 05:59 PM   #29
Starbuck88

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sshooie View Post
I have areas masked for motion, total customisation for output/action/notification following a notification I have stills and footage of the event saved to Google drive and an email sent to the phone, this is set up on a schedule and dependant on the time and day of the week.

I get very few, if any 'false' alarms per week, it's all in the initial set up and if done properly won't be an issue.

As an example during the day I have lines set up on the drive that when crossed (you can chose one direction or both) so these are not even tripped by the postman provided they are on time (off between 11:00-11:30) in the same area's on an evening it puts on my courtesy lighting outside and has a soft chime downstairs so I can hear people walking up the drive (rare, we live in a cul-de sac)

On the HIK there is line crossing, intruder area's (you draw a shape and if entered it alerts) and general motion detection with varying mask and sensitivity options.

With the logic settings and outputs I've not found something it cant do, (if you have the right camera it will also do ANPR and facial recognition)

VFM and quality (not DIY) HIK is a no brainer ime

I bought 4 x 5mp camera's, 4ch DVR (- the HDD) 4 sets of baluns, 4 power adaptors and a PSU for £312.00

Just add Cat5/6 and a decent HDD
Thanks for that, which model of NVR did you buy?

Also interested to ask about you say the system puts on your courtesy light and chimes?
Old 01-10-2018, 07:54 PM   #30
sshooie
Orbital Oracle

I bought the ds-7204huhi-k1, 4 channel HD turbo DVR, very compact and it has a 3yr warranty, I paid less than £100 for it but that was 12m ago not sure if it's superseded or cheaper.

It has outputs on the rear and I have those linked to the house alarm that in turn controls the lighting, but there is easier ways just using an octal relay.

With these cameras tucked under the eaves.

Last edited by sshooie; 01-10-2018 at 08:00 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to sshooie For This Useful Post:
Starbuck88 (09-10-2018)