Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Lifestyle > The Tech & Gadget Zone
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Tech & Gadget Zone Gadgety, Techy or even a Techy Gadget! Stick a post in here! Sponsored by SlimsDetailing - inspired by anybody who has a car they love and care for

Old 08-09-2018, 04:00 PM   #1
westerman
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Help!.. I have issues choosing my next TV

I have a Panasonic 42" Full HD 3D TV about 5 years old.
I'm fancying buying a 55" 4K model.

My problem is I can't get Fibre and can't afford Sky prices so I want to know if it's worth investing in a 4K telly.

My D/L speed is a miserly 4.3mps so internet TV will not be good but I'm elderly and am quite happy with the Free view channels.Netflix doesn't really appeal.

I'm thinking Freeview Play which will enhance my recording and playback and hoping that the freeview channels will be better in 4K ?

So should I go for it and will it be an upgrade on my current HD TV?
westerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 04:45 PM   #2
Hereisphilly
Dw Reviewer

Thanked 1,871 Times in 1,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westerman View Post

My problem is I can't get Fibre and can't afford Sky prices so I want to know if it's worth investing in a 4K telly.

My D/L speed is a miserly 4.3mps so internet TV will not be good but I'm elderly and am quite happy with the Free view channels.Netflix doesn't really appeal.

I'm thinking Freeview Play which will enhance my recording and playback and hoping that the freeview channels will be better in 4K ?

Unfortunately your internet speed is the limiting factor and at 4.3 mbps, uhd material is simply out of reach

Netflix requires a steady 25mbps for uhd and the latest BBC trial needed 40

There are no uhd TV channels around as it's currently impossible transmit this through the aerial (or satellite for that matter). Freeview play is simply a marketing term for combining HD TV channels with 4k on demand streaming services (which require a decent internet connection)

That said you can buy uhd blurays now with HDR and the quality is jaw dropping so that is an option for you if you want that. Be prepared to spend at least £160 on a player and the disks are around £20 each

What TV do you have at the moment? If it's a 3d Panny is it a plasma?

If you are thinking of upgrading your TV to get a bigger size then you can get decent 55" led uhd ones from £600 and up

If you so have a plasma then you won't be able to replicate the black levels unless you move to an oled which is in the £1500 and up bracket for a 55"

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Hereisphilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 07:01 PM   #3
westerman

Thanks for your reply Hereisphilly,

I bought my current set about 5 years ago, Full HD smart TVwith 3D and it's LED not plasma. It's a nice set with lots of features, £800 at the time, but I fancied getting a big one 55" with 4K.
From what you say and what I've been able to find out, i't's looking like I might be best sticking with it for a while until I can get Virgin. Virgin have put all the ducting in place to our houses here but are having a problem with getting permission for the cable to be installed. They expect to get it done but can't give me a date plus I'm stuck into another 18 months with BT

If I hang on a while Oled might come within reach.

I like the sound of the Blueray, will look into that one.

Thanks for the help.

Harry

Last edited by westerman; 08-09-2018 at 07:11 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to westerman For This Useful Post:
Hereisphilly (08-09-2018)
Old 08-09-2018, 08:25 PM   #4
Russ
Sponge Jockey

I bought my LG oled during Black Friday last year. Well, I bought it a few weeks before actually from John Lewis and then they price matched twice to better deals.

£1400 in the end and even from a Panasonic plasma it’s is an awesome set
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Russ For This Useful Post:
westerman (09-09-2018)
Old 09-09-2018, 01:19 AM   #5
Andyblue

Location: Hiding all the Black Friday / Christmas detailing stuff bought :)
Thanked 1,882 Times in 1,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westerman View Post

Best advice I can offer, on top of the good advice you’ve had - is to go and have a look at some yourself, see if you like the picture and can notice a difference - I’d advise watching a TV programme rather than the demo mode and try to look at a few (inc HD ones) to be able to compare them.

Hopefully you can decide if it’s worth a change now or in 12-18 months or so...
Andyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andyblue For This Useful Post:
westerman (09-09-2018)
Old 09-09-2018, 08:33 AM   #6
bluechimp
PC Perfectionist

I feel your pain Westerman, I too have poor internet speed, I’m sure my dial up used to be quicker!

I love Samsung TV’s, they are such good quality for the price, especially if you do a bit of research and find one at a good price.
bluechimp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluechimp For This Useful Post:
westerman (09-09-2018)
Old 09-09-2018, 10:04 AM   #7
Taxboy
Orbital Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyblue View Post
Best advice I can offer, on top of the good advice you’ve had - is to go and have a look at some yourself, see if you like the picture and can notice a difference - I’d advise watching a TV programme rather than the demo mode and try to look at a few (inc HD ones) to be able to compare them.

Hopefully you can decide if it’s worth a change now or in 12-18 months or so...
Good advice here. If you find a TV you like and can hold off until April / May next year you should get the best price. This is the time of the year when retailers need to start clearing "old" stock for the new models

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
Taxboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Taxboy For This Useful Post:
westerman (09-09-2018)
Old 09-09-2018, 11:34 AM   #8
shl-kelso
Orbital Oracle

If you really want something with great picture quality get yourself over to AVForums and take a look at their TV reviews. They carry our “proper” picture quality/accuracy analysis as part of there review process and are very critical in this area. They use proper calibrated test equipment and provide “out of the box” and full professional calibration results to show the true performance if the screens they test. Much better than reviews just based on personal opinion and simple observation.
shl-kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shl-kelso For This Useful Post:
westerman (09-09-2018)
Old 09-09-2018, 12:05 PM   #9
westerman

Just a big thanks for all your advice. When I bought my set it was the all singing all dancing Panasonic with Full HD, Smart TV and the exciting upcoming 3D. It cost £800 at the time which was a considerable amount for a TV in those days.
Here we are 5 years on, 3D went belly up and technology has raced ahead.
I suspect whatever TV I buy now will be as much out of date in another 5 years time.
I get a really good picture on my current set and can live with it but I have a fairly large lounge and would prefer 55" as opposed to the current set which is 42".
Then there's the element of wanting 'the latest'.
I thought at first I'll just buy a nice 55" 4K TV but when I started looking into it I realise there's quite a lot to it so need to be careful.
I know Virgin will be available within a few months, problem is I've recently locked myself into BT for 18 months.
I think it might be best to wait a while and within around 12 months see what's available then. That way I can buy myself out of BT (might get Virgin to help there!) and get the latest TV and be able to enjoy the internet channels etc.

Harry
Old 09-09-2018, 12:06 PM   #10
mar00
Sponge Jockey

freeview isn't in 4K only HD although there maybe the occasional programme in 4K, also there could be some variation depending on your location enter your postcode on the freeview site to find out,

a 4K tv will upscale most HD content to higher quality, but actually most of the programmes and films any of the broadcaster say are 4K are not really originally produced in 4K,

so I suppose the answer to the original question would be a 4K tv will mostly be better than full HD but rarely true 4K,

the ones to go full 4K first with TV will probably be the streaming companies like netflix, Amazon and then SKY, as they produce their own content, but as you say it's not an option just yet, personally I'd probably wait a while,
mar00 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mar00 For This Useful Post:
westerman (09-09-2018)