Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Polish/Cleaners/Compounds/Glaze
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Polish/Cleaners/Compounds/Glaze Discuss Polish/Cleaners/Compounds and Glaze here - Sponsored By g3pro

Old 18-06-2018, 12:33 PM   #1
Arvi
PC Perfectionist

AG SRP v Scholl 20

I need to get my car polished over the next few evenings with limited time, in readiness for next Thursday.

I have Scholl 20 which I understand needs several passes for best effect. As time is not on my side, would it be better to use SRP by machine/ hand and save the S20 for a later date?

I purchased the S20 with the spider pad that came in a kit - would it be sensible to stay with that pad or use another one?

Its for a Sapphire Black BMW with average swirls.
Arvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 12:45 PM   #2
ChrisHorner
Unwashed Member

Garage
Arvi,

Having polished a BMW 5 Series in the same colour with very bad paint condition last week it took the best part of 10 hours including washing, mechanical and chemical decontamination, full machine polish with a layer of Sonax protect and shine NPT and layer of AutoGlym UHD wax. I polished the car with a navy spider pad Scholl concepts S20 black and a DAS6 Pro. 95% of the defects were removed but it took a lot of time to work, conditions less than ideal in the baking sun, luckily we had a gazeebo to cover us. I would advise if you do not have the time to go through the steps I did you will not achieve the correction you require, so use the SRP to fill the swirls. But if you do have the time the results are incredible, s20 Black gives amazing gloss.
ChrisHorner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChrisHorner For This Useful Post:
Arvi (18-06-2018), slim_boy_fat (18-06-2018)
Old 18-06-2018, 12:49 PM   #3
\Rian
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvi View Post
I need to get my car polished over the next few evenings with limited time, in readiness for next Thursday.

I have Scholl 20 which I understand needs several passes for best effect. As time is not on my side, would it be better to use SRP by machine/ hand and save the S20 for a later date?

I purchased the S20 with the spider pad that came in a kit - would it be sensible to stay with that pad or use another one?

I very much doubt SRP will have the cut to remove average swirls on BMW paint, its know for filling more than anything.

I have VW paint and only had minor sirling from washing an just general ware from the past year, I used sonax profililine perfect finish and an Orange hex pad, it did a good job, SRP would not have had the cut
\Rian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to \Rian For This Useful Post:
Arvi (18-06-2018)
Old 18-06-2018, 12:56 PM   #4
riskypicker
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Its been written recently that SRP actually contains no abrasives. Just a cleaner and a resin filler.

It'll have a positive effect on your paint for sure, and i do use it still as a cleanser/glaze, but it wont do the same job as the S20, which i also use, in terms of physical correction.
riskypicker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to riskypicker For This Useful Post:
Arvi (18-06-2018), Blueberry (19-06-2018), westerman (22-06-2018)
Old 18-06-2018, 01:05 PM   #5
Arvi
PC Perfectionist

Thanks Guys. I appreciate the replies. I know AGP won't give me the correction that I'm after for a proper polish. Basically my niece wants me to drive her to her prom and I wanted to get the car looking better than it is at the moment which whilst she won't probably see the difference - I'll be happier knowing I've made some effort on the car!
The Following User Says Thank You to Arvi For This Useful Post:
slim_boy_fat (18-06-2018)
Old 18-06-2018, 01:25 PM   #6
Arvi
PC Perfectionist

Also the SRP that I have must be at least 7 years + old. Is it worth me getting a new bottle?
Old 18-06-2018, 01:26 PM   #7
riskypicker
Washmitt Meister

Garage
My missus never notices the difference regardless of how much effort i put in.

Auto finesse do a triple AIO product that it good for exactly those situations. Its the stuff i use for example on my mums car, who wouldnt notice the difference either. it does clean the paint and add some sort of gloss and wax as the water beads off after using it.

But if you have SRP in the garage then crack on with that.
riskypicker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to riskypicker For This Useful Post:
Arvi (18-06-2018)
Old 18-06-2018, 08:33 PM   #8
BradleyW
PC Perfectionist

SRP does not have the level of cut required to remove most defects. SRP uses fillers to hide swirl marks. The filling properties are very limited in my opinion. S20 when its worked correctly with a machine, with enough sets of passes, will remove defects. Consider S20 or equivalent, or a suitable glaze with advanced filling properties.

As a side note, have a look at Soft99 Clear Scratch Wax. Personally, I never use fillers. I fully correct my paint, then apply an LSP to help preserve the surface. I would only use fillers to mainly aid with gloss.

Last edited by BradleyW; 18-06-2018 at 08:39 PM.
BradleyW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BradleyW For This Useful Post:
Arvi (20-06-2018)
Old 18-06-2018, 10:34 PM   #9
EG30
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvi View Post

The cutting ability of SRP isn't even close to S20.

If you are pressed for time, you are better off going over car quickly with SRP for now. Bear in mind if you plan to buff car with S20 in the next few weeks you would need to strip the SRP off before buffing with S20 or the SRP would dramatically reduce the cut of the S20 and likely to gum up the pads as well.

S20 doesn't like being rushed, it really rewards slow arm movement at medium to medium high speed at moderate pressure. And being black it shows up sub par correction very well.

7 years old SRP should be ok if it hasn't separated. It might not be as easy to apply evenly and wipe off cleany as fresh SRP but well worth a try.

Which spider pad do you have? ie Blue or Purple?

Would you consider a spray wax? Plenty glossy for the prom trip and lot easier to strip off prior to buffing with S20, if not worn off naturally in the weather by the time you get around to correct with S20.

Last edited by EG30; 18-06-2018 at 10:38 PM.
EG30 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EG30 For This Useful Post:
Arvi (20-06-2018)
Old 20-06-2018, 11:05 AM   #10
Arvi
PC Perfectionist

Just checked my garage last night and there is hardly any SRP left!
Should I restock on this or get Tripple or BH Cleaner Polish or maybe Blackhole?

Also I have just had a quick read of Soft99 Clear Scratch Wax, is this a worthy contender? Basically would like a nice glossy/wet look.

Where should I purchase any of the above - SRP will be available in Halfords of the shelf but no other motor factors near me that I know of unless ECP stock anything.

I also have black and white Hex Logic pads, which would be best to use with any of the above products?