Detailing World Forum banner

stainless steel exhaust

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  james_death 
#1 ·
Hi looking for pad an polish for polishing my ss exhaust? its got some small rust spots on it aswel, what would be the best way about remover these? thanks

#6 ·
#7 ·
Stainless Steel

Stainless Steel does not Need Polishing?

A common misconception is that stainless steel is stain proof; this is untrue, it merely stains less. Austinitic stainless steel doesn't tarnish or discolour easily, but martinsitic stainless will. All stainless takes on bleed marks and stains from contact with other metals and overheating

Stainless steel panels are not indestructible and some seemingly harmless acts may result in severe damage to the finish. Contrary to popular belief, SOS pads or #0000 steel wool damages the stainless steel. Steel wool also leaves small metal particles embedded in the grain of the stainless steel which rusts, giving the impression that the stainless steel is rusting.

Also metal abrasives act as reducing agents, chemically reacting with the outer oxidation layer of the stainless panels and destroying some of their stainless properties. Iron compounds in general react with the steel. Although very resistant to nitric acid, 304 stainless is not very resistant to phosphoric and some other acids. Clean with P21S Polishing Soap

Stainless Steel Exhaust Tips / Pipe

Stainless steel is a strong, robust and durable metal that far exceeds life spans of several other materials. Stainless steel is not just one material; it is a family of chromium containing steels, which all possesses an inherent resistance to corrosion. The chromium is distributed throughout the steel and its purpose is to form a sub-microscopic surface layer of hard, adherent chromium oxide on steel, a few microns thick.

The film is known as the passive layer, and it protects the underlying material from attack by corrosive species. If the layer is damaged in any way, it instantly reforms in the presence of oxygen to protect the surface of the material."

To polish use a mild polish (Menzerna Polishing Cream) to remove stubborn stains use English Custom Polish (ECP) Showman's Blend stainless and aluminum polish.

Menzerna Polishing Cream is a blend of cleaning agents, lubricants, and proprietary ingredients that brings out a dazzling shine on all types of metal; chrome, aluminium, magnesium, copper, stainless steel, fiberglass, and other unpainted plastics. Menzerna Polishing Cream is nonabrasive and gentle on all your vehicle's metal surfaces.

Blue Coral Blue Buster or Blu-Job to remove 'blue' from exhaust pipes wet towel and polish, it will not scratch chrome, can also be used on brass and stainless steel.

For exhaust pipe polishing -use a strip impregnated with a metal polish (Luster Strips) (See also Chrome / Stainless Steel Exhaust) protect the exhaust components with a polymer sealant (ZoopSeal)

#8 ·
Aa stated above it will only tarnish again with heat, doing tips fine there in sight, however much i love my stainless system on my motorbike i have to accept that i cannot polish it constantly ill wear it away the end can being to cooler part will hold onto its sheen better but the headers being the hottest will tarnish rapidly again as well as the collector.

Look at the never dull to keep onto of the tips.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.