Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Polish/Cleaners/Compounds/Glaze
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Polish/Cleaners/Compounds/Glaze Discuss Polish/Cleaners/Compounds and Glaze here - Sponsored By g3pro

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19-08-2017, 05:44 PM   #1
fabiolous
Sponge Jockey
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 33
Thanks: 3
Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Need advise for a lot of products! (newbie)

Hello guys!

I have a 99 BMW 320i that did a 2-step paint correction from a professional detailer a year ago.

The car sits outside all the time, since I have no garage, and it's my daily car.
It has now lost it's protection and has some light scratches,as well as some others marks that my pressure washer hose did (shame on me, but well, still a newbie learning from my mistakes)

I want to correct the paint by myself following the rules of detailing, but don't know what set of products to buy.

I'm thinking in buying a DAS6-PRO, that's the only certainty. The decon clay/lub, compound, polish... Every product that's needed to go from 1st to last step before paint protection, don't know what to buy, even the cloths (the products are so many out there!).

Been reading about Scholl products, because of hard clearcoat that my car has, but don't know what to choose for the marks the car has.

In the end of correction process, I want to apply some ceramic coating (I leaned towards Gtecniq CSL or Gyeon, don't know yet)

Also, I have 2 scratch marks on the doors B pillar, along with some Meguiars water spot remover product stain (thought I cleaned it but now won't leave)

Regarding the chrome trim, what do you recomend? I was thinking of autosol metal polish.

Roof and trunk we're painted a month ago.

NOTE: Will probably buy all products at CYC, because I want shipping cost down to one order.

Here are some pictures:




















Last edited by fabiolous; 19-08-2017 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Pictures were too big
fabiolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2017, 07:05 PM   #2
matty.13
PC Perfectionist
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Kent
Posts: 467
Thanks: 113
Thanked 229 Times in 169 Posts
Need advise for a lot of products! (newbie)

You could maybe start with scholl s20 with a white spider pad , this will get rid of most of the swirls and deeper scratches and sort your b pillars out . S20 can finish down to the lsp stage with a softer pad of your choice .
If your buying from cyc I would seal with finishkare hi temp sealant or collinte 845 .
If you are going to top with a wax I would suggest r222 or cg petes wax .
Autosol with a lot of elbow grease will be fine for you exhaust and chrome .To keep cost down you'll get away with a bottle of s20, 2 pads , and the finishkare hi temp sealant (this can also be used on alloys) 2 coats of this will give you great protection .
I would also recommend finishkare 425 detail spray .
Gyeon/g techniq are great products , I don't really like ceramic coatings too much hard work if it goes wrong .


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by matty.13; 19-08-2017 at 07:10 PM.
matty.13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2017, 10:52 PM   #3
fabiolous
Sponge Jockey
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 33
Thanks: 3
Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by matty.13 View Post
You could maybe start with scholl s20 with a white spider pad , this will get rid of most of the swirls and deeper scratches and sort your b pillars out . S20 can finish down to the lsp stage with a softer pad of your choice .
If your buying from cyc I would seal with finishkare hi temp sealant or collinte 845 .
If you are going to top with a wax I would suggest r222 or cg petes wax .
Autosol with a lot of elbow grease will be fine for you exhaust and chrome .To keep cost down you'll get away with a bottle of s20, 2 pads , and the finishkare hi temp sealant (this can also be used on alloys) 2 coats of this will give you great protection .
I would also recommend finishkare 425 detail spray .
Gyeon/g techniq are great products , I don't really like ceramic coatings too much hard work if it goes wrong .


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for tips.

fk1000p is already on my list, but for the wheels as you say.

I want a ceramic coating because it gives more protection and lastes longer.
Almost everyday I have issues with bird drops (damn seaguls) and also have a few spots where it attacked the clearcoat.

The main goal is to protect paint over look, because it sits outside and it's my daily car.

What about decon products? Need a claybar (don't know how abrasive) and lube. I already have kenotek wheel cleaner ultra (for iron decon).

After using S20, what surface prep should I use?

What cloth is recomendable for each step? I have a lot of microfiber towels with short pile and a gyeon WW only.
fabiolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2017, 11:31 AM   #4
steelghost
Detailing at Double Speed
 
steelghost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Stockport
Posts: 5,484
Thanks: 1,994
Thanked 2,768 Times in 2,071 Posts
Garage
Some suggestions (all available from CYC):

Bilt Hamber clay - a large 200g bar for not much more than some brands are charging for 100g, and it's good stuff. Probably go for the medium grade for your car. Only need water for lubrication.

Auto Finesse ObliTARate for tar removal

I would be careful with Autosol on the trims, they're not real chrome (on any car, these days) and too much polishing or use of something too aggressive can spoil them. I'd try Menzerna polishing cream for this.

I'm assuming you've got buckets, wash mitt etc?

Important MF towels - some plush ones for buffing (Eurow?), plus some shorter pile ones for removing polish residue, cleaning interiors

Always worth having an APC to hand, personally I like Bilt Hamber Surfex HD for this.
steelghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2017, 01:42 PM   #5
fabiolous
Sponge Jockey
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 33
Thanks: 3
Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelghost View Post
Some suggestions (all available from CYC):

Bilt Hamber clay - a large 200g bar for not much more than some brands are charging for 100g, and it's good stuff. Probably go for the medium grade for your car. Only need water for lubrication.

Auto Finesse ObliTARate for tar removal

I would be careful with Autosol on the trims, they're not real chrome (on any car, these days) and too much polishing or use of something too aggressive can spoil them. I'd try Menzerna polishing cream for this.

I'm assuming you've got buckets, wash mitt etc?

Important MF towels - some plush ones for buffing (Eurow?), plus some shorter pile ones for removing polish residue, cleaning interiors

Always worth having an APC to hand, personally I like Bilt Hamber Surfex HD for this.
Yes, I've got 2 buckets and microfiber madness incredimitt.

I use nextzett glanz shampoo to wash the car (I'll buy carChem 1900:1).

Only destiled water with the clay? I thought I'd need more lubrication (like DJ born slippy?)

About tar, I don't identify it in the paint but it's still better to use it?

The APC I have is nextzett Blitz, but what use does it have on paint correction?

Thank you very much!
fabiolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2017, 03:56 PM   #6
bense556
Washmitt Meister
 
bense556's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Bedfordshire
Posts: 119
Thanks: 9
Thanked 47 Times in 41 Posts
Bilt Hamber clay only requires normal water, one of the many good things about it. As said, go for the medium grade.

You may not notice the tar, but if it sits outside constantly, then it will definitely have some, more so if used daily.

APC will allow you to attack the more stubborn areas, agitated with a detailing brush. I would also recommend getting a couple of the smaller detailing brushes for cleaning the badges/grill area.

For surface prep, after polishing wipe down with either a panel wipe, such as the one GTechniq do, for buy a bottle of IPA and mix with water in a spray bottle. This will remove any polish residue left over.

Also, get some of the masking tape for protecting areas you don't want to polish, such as rubbers, headlights etc. Makes life so much easier.
bense556 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bense556 For This Useful Post:
steelghost (20-08-2017)
Old 20-08-2017, 09:46 PM   #7
fabiolous
Sponge Jockey
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 33
Thanks: 3
Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bense556 View Post
Bilt Hamber clay only requires normal water, one of the many good things about it. As said, go for the medium grade.

You may not notice the tar, but if it sits outside constantly, then it will definitely have some, more so if used daily.

APC will allow you to attack the more stubborn areas, agitated with a detailing brush. I would also recommend getting a couple of the smaller detailing brushes for cleaning the badges/grill area.

For surface prep, after polishing wipe down with either a panel wipe, such as the one GTechniq do, for buy a bottle of IPA and mix with water in a spray bottle. This will remove any polish residue left over.

Also, get some of the masking tape for protecting areas you don't want to polish, such as rubbers, headlights etc. Makes life so much easier.
What dillution ration should I use for APC and IPA?

I got a small round "paint" brush that is very soft, is it enough for those stubborn areas?

Thaks for the tips guys, I feel less lost in the process.
fabiolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 04:44 PM   #8
fabiolous
Sponge Jockey
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 33
Thanks: 3
Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
So, I had a few time issues but now I'm decided to go along with it and make a good winter prep.

Narrowed the list to the following products:

Start with washing and Decon:
-Snow foam: AF Avalanche or Bilt Hamber - Auto Foam?
-Shampoo: CARCHEM 1900:1 500ml or other?
-Clay: Bilt Hamber - Auto Clay Medium (200g)
-Decon: Kenotek Wheel Cleaner Ultra (Iron remover) - already have and AF ObliTARate

Polishing Stage:

-Surface prep: Bilt Hamber - Cleanser Fluid or Dodo Juice - Lime Prime?
-Polishing: Scholl S20 or other?
-Polishing Pad: Scholl Concepts - Spider Pad 140mm (white) only? (how many pads?)
-After Polishing: IPA

Protection Stage:

-Sealant: FK1000P
-Wax: top up with something? or no need to?

Thanks everybody!
fabiolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 12:00 AM   #9
Moet1974
Orbital Oracle
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Steel City
Posts: 741
Thanks: 283
Thanked 389 Times in 279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabiolous View Post
So, I had a few time issues but now I'm decided to go along with it and make a good winter prep.

Narrowed the list to the following products:

Start with washing and Decon:
-Snow foam: AF Avalanche or Bilt Hamber - Auto Foam?
-Shampoo: CARCHEM 1900:1 500ml or other?
-Clay: Bilt Hamber - Auto Clay Medium (200g)
-Decon: Kenotek Wheel Cleaner Ultra (Iron remover) - already have and AF ObliTARate

Polishing Stage:

-Surface prep: Bilt Hamber - Cleanser Fluid or Dodo Juice - Lime Prime?
-Polishing: Scholl S20 or other?
-Polishing Pad: Scholl Concepts - Spider Pad 140mm (white) only? (how many pads?)
-After Polishing: IPA

Protection Stage:

-Sealant: FK1000P
-Wax: top up with something? or no need to?

Thanks everybody!
Prewash BH Autofoam.

Shampoo Carchem 1900:1

Rinse and dry.

Decon paint with a good fallout remover first. I'm not sure what CYC has in this department. Gyeon Iron is good if available. I prefer others but I know CYC doesn't stock said items.

Rinse and dry.

Clay BH medium clay.

Wheels If that's what you've got give it a whirl. Address this after prewash stage.

Polishing stage.............. STOP.

Firstly it's already had a recent 2 stage correction. How much paint have realistically got left to play with? Answer you don't know without a PTG. With all the goodwill and suggestions about polish and pad combinations I'd really not be even addressing this yet until clearly you've learned what it takes to correct paint successfully.

As my good friend would suggest if you grab yourself a DA. Get some CarPro Essence and a gloss pad and appreciate that finish until you gain some more experience.

Ceramic coating. As above if Essence does its job and hides the defects there is no reason not to apply a coating at this stage. Essence forms a molecular bond that will pretty much accept any silica based or hydrocarbon based product. If not Fk1000p can be your temporary winter friend.

Rushing a correction and winter protection at this time of year for an inexperienced person could end in massive disappointment bud!
Moet1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 10:56 PM   #10
fabiolous
Sponge Jockey
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 33
Thanks: 3
Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Anyone?
fabiolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
choose bmw products


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
DTO Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
DTO Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors