Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Lifestyle > The Motoring Zone
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Motoring Zone Just bought a car? Need advice on a car? Want to chat about cars generally? Here is the place to do it.

Old 13-07-2018, 01:01 AM   #1
Cookies
Distinguished Detailer + Dw Reviewer

Thanked 5,091 Times in 3,722 Posts
Garage
Daytona International Speedway

Hi all.

Some of you will know that I was on hols in Orlando for the last couple of weeks. We were there for Independence day, which was a wash out with a huge thunder storm. That put paid to any great pyrotechnics display at Universal sadly.

Anyhoo, while I was there, I decided to book tickets for us to go to the Coke Zero Sugar 400 NASCAR race at Daytona. I bought Fanzone passes too, which allowed us into the centre field, and fanzone area.

All I can say is that it was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. The scale of the place is on another level to anything I've ever witnessed before.

I got us seats fairly high up in the pit-out stand. We had a full view of the whole circuit, and the out lane. The sound and smell of the big v8s simply put me into my petrolhead heaven. Mrs Cooks and Cookie Youngster were also in total awe of everything. I took loads of pics and a few vids, firstly of the opening ceremony as part of the 'NASCAR salutes our troops' theme.

https://youtu.be/C62wvWt5Mvo

I caught a fairly big crash at the end of lap 161 too. These guys are averaging almost 200mph around the circuit, and driving inches from each other. So of one makes a mistake, there are fairly serious consequences.

https://youtu.be/zr6rrqaG2_k

And then, the post-race fireworks display. Around 30 minutes in total. I recorded the first 7 minutes or so. Have a look at around 6.30, as they have managed to get the fireworks to spell out USA, and show an eagle's head!!! Absolutely incredible.

https://youtu.be/nRibmzBALzc

This was a huge tick off my bucket list. A fantastic experience. If any of you are in Florida, definitely go to a race if you can. It's brilliant.

Cooks

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Cookies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cookies For This Useful Post:
Derekh929 (13-07-2018)
Old 13-07-2018, 07:05 AM   #2
RandomlySet
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 2,695 Times in 1,986 Posts
Garage
Looks great dude....

I love how the Americans make such an event of everything. We're going to watch the Dallas Cowboys, and I've been watching a few videos. Here is a 10minute video of their intro

That is BEFORE they've got the old Stars n Stripes out and sang the national anthem! Just a standard game that!

Oh, and in case you was wondering, that huge TV is 72' high, and 160' wide making it the largest suspend LED 1080 TV in the world (at least when it was built in 2009)

I was also hoping to go watch F1 over there, but typically, we land back in the UK on the weekend F1 goes to the States
RandomlySet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RandomlySet For This Useful Post:
Cookies (13-07-2018), Derekh929 (13-07-2018)
Old 13-07-2018, 07:21 AM   #3
Cookies
Distinguished Detailer + Dw Reviewer

Thanked 5,091 Times in 3,722 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomlySet View Post
Looks great dude....

I love how the Americans make such an event of everything. We're going to watch the Dallas Cowboys, and I've been watching a few videos. Here is a 10minute video of their intro

That is BEFORE they've got the old Stars n Stripes out and sang the national anthem! Just a standard game that!

Oh, and in case you was wondering, that huge TV is 72' high, and 160' wide making it the largest suspend LED 1080 TV in the world (at least when it was built in 2009)

I was also hoping to go watch F1 over there, but typically, we land back in the UK on the weekend F1 goes to the States
Absolutely Incredible. They really do know how to put on a show!! Btw, I have a Cowboys football shirt!! Not really a fan though, and know absolutely nothing about it, I just liked the shirt lol

Cheers.

Cooks

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Cookies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cookies For This Useful Post:
RandomlySet (13-07-2018)
Old 13-07-2018, 08:25 AM   #4
RandomlySet
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 2,695 Times in 1,986 Posts
Garage
Haha..... I grew up watching the Dolphins (partly due to Ace Ventura, partly due to my step-dad).

These day, whilst I will always support the dolphins when they're playing, I do mainly watch as a neutral. That said, there are a few teams I like, and some I can't stand....
RandomlySet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RandomlySet For This Useful Post:
Cookies (13-07-2018)
Old 13-07-2018, 01:18 PM   #5
Mikesphotaes
Orbital Oracle

Garage
Amazing place, I couldn't get over how steep the banked track is!
Mikesphotaes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mikesphotaes For This Useful Post:
Cookies (13-07-2018)
Old 13-07-2018, 10:09 PM   #6
Derekh929
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 5,212 Times in 4,325 Posts
Yes it’s a great place , many years ago we were the day before the Pepsi 400 and was on the tour many of the cars were testing and mechanics in pits working on the cars, young lad got pics with the cars in pits and mechanics was great, always said we will see a race someday.
We did the Vegas speedway tour in 2016 the tour guide was brilliant the lady raced at one of the tracks onsite, and we got her to race round the track in the bus you don’t ask you don’t get
Derekh929 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derekh929 For This Useful Post:
Cookies (13-07-2018)