Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 12-09-2018, 10:29 AM   #131
macca666
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,157 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fentum View Post
That bumper is very nicely done.

It is inspiring me to take on my wife's rather scabby bumpers on her SLK. Sadly, they need some repair first - after a little episode with snow chains coming loose.

Peter
Thanks Peter. It was pretty dirty but overall in decent nick so I didn't have to do any paintwork in it. Actually didn't take me too long wet and dry with plenty of lube then some s20 on a couple of pads and job done. I'm happy with how it turned out

Not good about your mishap I tried some home made plastic welding (dont have a plastic welder) on my bike fairing which was cracked and failed miserably Never tried again as the 'stro as taking up my time just now.
macca666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 10:49 AM   #132
percymon

Garage
Very nice update macca - pity the weather's turning as it'd be nice to be able to enjoy a few nice dry sunny autumnal drives after you're efforts through the summer months
percymon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to percymon For This Useful Post:
macca666 (12-09-2018)
Old 12-09-2018, 10:57 AM   #133
Fentum

Thanked 1,510 Times in 873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by macca666 View Post
Thanks Peter. It was pretty dirty but overall in decent nick so I didn't have to do any paintwork in it. Actually didn't take me too long wet and dry with plenty of lube then some s20 on a couple of pads and job done. I'm happy with how it turned out

Not good about your mishap I tried some home made plastic welding (dont have a plastic welder) on my bike fairing which was cracked and failed miserably Never tried again as the 'stro as taking up my time just now.
I had been living with the damage (as you can divine by the fact that snow chains caused the damage) and my wife hasn't even noticed the damage.

But now the front bumper has to come off anyway to fit a new headlight - as even the Italian police have lost patience after I was stopped twice by the same policeman on consecutive days.

Your experience and mine in the past are what's bothering me about trying a DIY job but if I bog up there is a man just about running a bodyshop in semi-retirement down the road from me, who also repairs boats, so very handy with GRP.

One of my neighbours (who used to run a couple of very well-known Italian supercar companies) uses him, says he is very cheap and swears by him. Even better, he has an auto-electrician who has reasonable rates.

In the end, I might get him to do the patch repairs and then do the paintwork myself, although it is one of those pearlescent Mercedes jobs. I suppose if I bog that up, I can still get the bodyshop to rectify it.

Peter
Fentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 11:51 AM   #134
macca666

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by percymon View Post
Very nice update macca - pity the weather's turning as it'd be nice to be able to enjoy a few nice dry sunny autumnal drives after you're efforts through the summer months
Thanks Percy. It turns 30 in April and last mot expired april 2012 so my aim is to finish all the jobs over the next few month in the hope I'll get it MOTD and on the road for its 30th birthday
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to macca666 For This Useful Post:
ColinG (12-09-2018), Starbuck88 (14-09-2018)
Old 14-09-2018, 01:09 AM   #135
VenomUK

Garage
What a little gem, keep up the good work
VenomUK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VenomUK For This Useful Post:
macca666 (14-09-2018)
Old 14-09-2018, 10:20 AM   #136
Starbuck88

Thanked 2,481 Times in 1,678 Posts
Garage
Brilliant work as always Macca
Starbuck88 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Starbuck88 For This Useful Post:
macca666 (15-09-2018)
Old 07-11-2018, 07:23 PM   #137
macca666

Garage
Exhaust

So it's been a while and if i'm honest i've not done that much recently due to personal circumstances.

Anyway as per my last post when I'd done the bumper I did the exhaust at the same time. As some may recall I had a stainless Scorpion exhaust to get fitted as pictured here next to my old one which after lots of WD40 came off with no issues.

As I trial fitted it I realised that the tail pipe wouldn't fit through the bumper aperture without modification to the bumper. After much debate I decided I didn't want to cut the rear bumper in case at any point I wanted to put the car back to standard and i'd struggle to get another bumper so decided i'd go for a full custom stainless which I could fit without modifying the bumper.

As with everything funds are always an issue so i've decided to hold off on this and I tidied up the old exhaust and refitted it.

Being my usual self and clearly with OCD kicking in I cleaned up the brackets soaking them in Bilt Hamber Deox-C to take the rust off then repainting them. Pic is a before during and after.

The old exhaustwas solid if a lot of surface rust so I had some high temp paint in teh garage and decided to take the rust off and give it a coat of paint.

Here's what I was faced with

Took the wire brush to it then used some Bilt Hamber Hydrate 80 on it and here's what it looked like when that cured.

And sprayed prior to fitting

I also decided I wanted a chrome tailpipe so spent ages searching trying to find one that would fit plus wouldn't stick out too far. Ended up giving up and bought one then did a Blue Peter on it and hit it with the grinder to make it fit!

Here's what it looked like prior to fitting

And here's it fitted poking out from the rear bumper which I was pleased with

As always thanks for reading and comments welcome.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to macca666 For This Useful Post:
Alfa male (07-11-2018), DC240S (07-11-2018), JR1982 (07-11-2018), oneflewover (07-11-2018), percymon (08-11-2018), rojer386 (07-11-2018), SBM (08-11-2018), scooobydont (07-11-2018), slim_boy_fat (07-11-2018), Starbuck88 (07-11-2018), streaky (07-11-2018)