Detailing World Forum banner

Shaking at speed

3K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  Christian6984 
#1 ·
The Golf is shaking/vibrating at speed. It's done this since we got it but awkwardly only does it at around 80mph+ so obviously not a huge issue as its mostly sitting at 70mph.

The wheels were changed about 3 months ago and its still the same since then so I don't think its the balancing or tyres though they are low and need changing soon.

What else could be causing the shaking/vibration?

#3 ·
disks, warped or not seated correctly,
calliper pads not retracting properly due to *usually* corrosion in the calliper/piston area and or the calliper slider pins
Broken suspension part/worn suspension part (usually with other tell tails)
Wheel bearing - ditto other symptoms/tell tails

all of the above Assumes
A/ the wheels + tyres were correctly balanced
B/ said balance weights are all still present
C/ the wheel itself has not suffered damage sufficient to dent/deform it
D/ wheel nuts are the correct ones for the wheel and correctly torqued up

#9 · (Edited)
Our golf had issues with the brake calipers and it was trial and error it had, new pads and discs, new brake line, eventually caliper was changed as it must have just had it, problem will be exacerbated by the fact the car lives outside and is used very little. Im currently using the Golf as i have the same problem on the fiesta at the moment, caliper piston seems to be a problem, free'd it up in feburary and i cba doing it again so going in on friday.

Last problem was very similar description to your on the Golf. Parents were taking it on holiday, drove normally and then at 65mph+ it started vibrating badly. Do you ever loose any air out of the tyres on the Golf? this one of ours is a right swine for it. So as a solution a relative has a commercial form of tyre sealant that is supposed to stay liquid within the tyre until it reaches air where it hardens and prevents needing to pull over and change a wheel or until you get it fixed. This part of it works and i mean really well to the point you could stab a screwdriver through the tyre and it would probably seal it when it rolls round to the hole (does need re-filling with air mind), i actually saw it demonstrated on a tractor tyre this way. One big inherent problem though is, there must have been to much of the stuff in the tyre and at a certain speed it stops rolling round and stays in one position at which point causes a terrible imbalance.

If you fitted the tyres to the new rims you will know thats not the case and can dismiss this idea but thought id mention it incase they came with the changed rims

#10 ·
Lots of responses so lets try to clear this up a bit!

When the car was originally bought, it was on 15" wheels and budget tyres. It shook at 80+mph then. About 3-4 months ago I changed the wheels for OEM 16" MK7 wheels on pirelli and dunlop and it still does the same, so I don't think its the tyres or the wheels/balancing issues.

Now, this shaking is not always reproducible. Sometimes it shakes at 80mph, sometimes it can go to triple figures without anything.

The best way to describe the shake is that it can be felt through the whole car very marginally but mostly through the steering wheel where you do have to hold on quite tight at high speed to stop the car swinging about.

I have noticed actually that the rear passenger side wheel is a a bit dirtier than the rest. Also, the rear brake discs and pads have been changed for OEM from TPS already and that didn't solve it.

and 2 MOTs ago, when the car was owned by previous owner, the passenger side bearing was rough and changed. I can't hear any noises when turning though. Wheel nuts are tight as well.

Does that narrow it down at all?

#15 ·
jack it up parked in gear and handbrake off, if its the rear wheels and see how easy the wheel spins compared to the other one. The fiesta with its suspected caliper problem (dropped off tonight at garage), it wouldn't turn freely and spin on its own, maybe much more extreme example but see if it resists more than the other

#17 ·
Had a good look around the brakes with the wheels on just to see if there were any obvious issues.

Noticed that the Front passenger side brake disc seems to be rusted. This was after a short 3 mile drive. Its clean after heavy braking but the drivers side was clean anyway

#19 ·
It cleans up after a motorway drive but won't in town driving.

I had the rear brake discs and pads changed as they were pitted to OEM ones from TPS so I think I'll take a look at the front ones too and replace discs and pads and change the brake fluid too. Will take a look at all calipers and pins whilst doing it too.

Thanks for the responses guys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.