Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Waxes, Sealants & Paint Protection
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Waxes, Sealants & Paint Protection Sponsored by DODO JUICE Light Fantastic , Banana Armour, Orange Crush, Rainforest Rub, Purple Haze - www.dodojuice.com

Old 09-11-2018, 06:23 PM   #1
jonesyxr
Unwashed Member

Ceramic Coating, to be or not to be?

Being a new dad 12 months ago to triplets now means I have very little time to spend hours and days detailing like the days of old. As such, I have been researching local detailers in and around Suffolk who I believe offer the best attention to detail and follow processes they pride themselves in, with proven results.

Ceramic has been the buzz word for some time but i'm still on the fence weighing up the positives and negatives. I can see the benefits for wheels, glass, etc, but i'm not sold on paint protection.

What do you guys think?
TIA
jonesyxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 10:15 PM   #2
Yellow Dave
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,423 Times in 1,137 Posts
Garage
Makes washing quicker and easier. A simple wash and QD wipedown makes it look likes it's just been waxed. An occasional deep clean will remove heavy bonded contaminants so no need for all the claying.

It makes sense if you don't have the time yourself
Yellow Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 10:50 PM   #3
chongo
"Professor"

Thanked 4,820 Times in 2,937 Posts
Garage
But having 3 kids can be very mentally exhausting

So if you get a break from all the chaos you could relax by doing some detailing i.e. Machine polishing, waxing and so on
chongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 11:07 PM   #4
TonyHill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Dave View Post
Makes washing quicker and easier. A simple wash and QD wipedown makes it look likes it's just been waxed. An occasional deep clean will remove heavy bonded contaminants so no need for all the claying.

It makes sense if you don't have the time yourself
How does it make washing quicker and easier? I've cleaned cars both with and without coatings and there's virtually no difference
TonyHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 11:09 PM   #5
Yellow Dave

Garage
I have 3 children. Eldest is a little over 5, youngest 10 months. Time allowing I've managed tobpolish the odd few panels at a time. Never have I ever got more than a few hours to do the cars. More important things in family life that take priority. Both our cars are slowly being corrected and coatings applied panel by panel.
Old 09-11-2018, 11:14 PM   #6
beatty599
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyHill View Post
How does it make washing quicker and easier? I've cleaned cars both with and without coatings and there's virtually no difference
Strange on freshly coated cars I can get them washed and dried in 30ish minutes, and currently on my 2year old ceramic coated car it's about 15 minutes faster than when i had wax.

If you're after protection it's the way to go 2 years on no real scratches to speak off on mine, can't say there's been zero but can't say I've noticed any.
beatty599 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to beatty599 For This Useful Post:
Yellow Dave (09-11-2018)
Old 09-11-2018, 11:15 PM   #7
Yellow Dave

Garage
Quote:
My car for a while was half coated with gtechniq CSL and EXO. The other half traditional waxes and sealants. A good pre wash and pressure rinse will almost remove all dirt and debris. Those other panels are significantly harder to wash unless it's freshly applied.
Old 10-11-2018, 03:06 AM   #8
Alex L
Distinguished Detailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chongo View Post
But having 3 kids can be very mentally exhausting

So if you get a break from all the chaos you could relax by doing some detailing i.e. Machine polishing, waxing and so on
Hahaha, if only it were that easy lol.

I have twins and between weekend sports, household chores and giving the wife a break to catch up with her work, I get sunday evening to myself. I can only imagine how much hard triplets are.

I'd say go for it, myself personally if I could have afforded the Ceramic Pro on my new to me MPS I would have done it. But cost and lack of faith in the dealer applying it put me off.

But, if we had an approved Max Protect detailer here in NZ I'd save up.
Alex L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:36 AM   #9
garycha
PC Perfectionist

Quote:
Since moving away from waxes a few years ago, I notice a distinct difference in maintain ceramic coats. You still have to be diligent in maint washes, but I barely use tar remover, very seldom use Fallout remover to extend I did with waxed surfaces - which are more sticky and seemed to attract and embedd tar n Fallout out more. For that alone clean g is easier.
garycha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:00 AM   #10
HEADPHONES

If you have the funds I'd say go for it.
Nothing to lose.
If you end up going months without washing the car it'll give more durability and protection.
If you still manage a weekly wash with a top up spray sealant or drying aid product you probably wouldn't see much difference in ease of washing as you previously mentioned.
I've only 2 kids, 10 and 7 years old.
Still find my weekends full of homework and activities and family time.

When they were babies I'd do some simple car washing while they slept.
I'd have a Bluetooth headset on and call my spare mobile, leaving it next to the cot so I had a hands free baby monitoring system.
Then I could nip back in if needed.
Only good if you have unlimited minutes though.

Now I tend to wash the cars at night with lights set up.

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...ght=Night+wash
I still only get time to wax the car only once or twice a year
So my saviour is either Gtechniq C2V3 spray sealant now and again IF I HAVE TIME and using the famous DW recipe of Sonax Brilliant shine detailer mixed with Chemical Guys Hybrid V07 sealant used as a drying aid after I pat dry the car as a drying aid......just a few sprits per panel and wipe.
HEADPHONES is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HEADPHONES For This Useful Post:
Yellow Dave (10-11-2018)