Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > The Homebrew Experience - A World of Shine by You- > The Alternative Moonshine Experience
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Alternative Moonshine Experience A section for all those homemade waxes, shampoo's, polishes and qd's

Old 17-02-2017, 07:39 PM   #1
olliewills
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Homemade APC with Vinegar

Evening all,

So, as per the title this isn't something I've tried on the car yet but in and around the house we try to use as few chemicals as possible. One of the things we do is a 50/50 vinegar/water solution in place of anti-bacterial sprays, windows cleaners, toilet cleaners and bathroom sprays.

I'm just wondering of people think this might be okay as an APC for door shuts, tyres, wheels and potentially, paintwork? My thinking is that it should be capable of removing LSP's in the right dilution and could be made stronger for things like wheels.

I'm sure this isn't a new idea among you creative lot so welcome any opinions.

Cheers!

Ollie
olliewills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2017, 02:09 AM   #2
Mcpx
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Wouldn't use it personally because a) vinegar is an acid, albeit a mild one, but there is no way of knowing how it would interact with the different surfaces and other products on the car over the long term and because b) I can't stand the smell.
Mcpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2017, 07:36 AM   #3
Caledoniandream

Be careful with using vinegar around the house, you are bringing a hell lot of yeast in the house.
Have a look around the house near distilleries in Scotland, they are proper black with yeast.
Vinegar is created by bacteria so I wouldn't use it as a desinfectant, also it's acid, so I don't like the long term reaction on the metals on your car (aluminium reacts funny with it)
We use it years ago as a last rinse on our trucks, as it removes all the residue of soap, so you end up with a shiny vehicle, but after a while all fastening started to corrode
Caledoniandream is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Caledoniandream For This Useful Post:
slim_boy_fat (19-02-2017)
Old 11-03-2017, 07:19 PM   #4
Sun_King
Sponge Jockey

Plus, it will make everything stink!
Sun_King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 07:49 PM   #5
GleemSpray

Thanked 2,362 Times in 1,596 Posts
http://ozkleen.co.uk/aboutus

I have used these products for many years and they really do clean well, using natural ingredients wherever possible and fewer chemicals. The Kitchen / Bathroom APC's really are very good and you can buy them on the high street.
GleemSpray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2017, 01:26 PM   #6
v_forty
Unwashed Member

Interesting discussion - I'd considered the same but like others, the smell is really off putting (to be polite)!
v_forty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 12:19 AM   #7
BigLeegr
PC Perfectionist

Valid concerns have been raised, however, I went to a car show and the vehicle that was the most swirl free and shiny was a green truck that the owners told me had no wax on it and they used a vinegar spray to keep the dust off. Your results may differ, but there appears to be at least one person in the world that has achieved good results with this method. (I have not tried it as my cars have always had waxes/sealants applied to them.)
BigLeegr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 02:24 PM   #8
bigbruiser
PC Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLeegr View Post
Valid concerns have been raised, however, I went to a car show and the vehicle that was the most swirl free and shiny was a green truck that the owners told me had no wax on it and they used a vinegar spray to keep the dust off. Your results may differ, but there appears to be at least one person in the world that has achieved good results with this method. (I have not tried it as my cars have always had waxes/sealants applied to them.)
if it was at a show that shine was not from the vinegar but from being compounded to death
bigbruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bigbruiser For This Useful Post:
BaileyA3 (22-01-2018)
Old 21-01-2018, 11:01 PM   #9
BigLeegr
PC Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbruiser View Post
if it was at a show that shine was not from the vinegar but from being compounded to death
Of course the clarity would need to be achieved by polishing first, but my comment was more to the efficacy of the vinegar spray not inducing swirls/cobwebbing as they used it to wipe dust and fingerprints off throughout the multi-day shows.
BigLeegr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2018, 06:30 AM   #10
trv8

I tested a 'homemade' vinegar spray for a month, never again .......

I put on a stone in weight.....every time I sprayed it, I just had to have a bag of chips .
trv8 is offline   Reply With Quote