Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Technical > Machine Polishing
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Machine Polishing Need help with Machine polishing

Old 05-04-2018, 06:24 PM   #1
kaisah
Unwashed Member

What did I do wrong!

Hey guys,

First attempt at using a DA polisher today. I’ll talk through my process:

Wash, dry, clay, wash and dry again. I decided to have a go on the bonnet first.

Using a DAS6 DA, white hex logic pad and meguiars #205 (least agressive of my products).

Started by putting 5 pea sized splodges of polish on the pad, then spreading this round 1/4 of the bonnet. Speed 1 to spread it. I then put another 4 splodges on and started at speed 1 to spread this again, then moved up to speed 5/5.5 and worked it around. Seemed to work fine. I did 1/4 of the bonnet at a time, adding 3 more dots of polish each time. When I got to the last quarter, I was nearly done.. then my pad exploded.

I’m pretty sure this will be a technique thing - I ever so slightly lifted up the DA which increased the speed - at this point the pad exploded. Was this the problem? Was I not using enough polish? I was checking for heat build up all the time and I didn’t detect anything too hot. When i started the last quarter the pad “looked” ok to me.

The bonnet now looks nice and shiny however the swirls/light scratches are not really fixed. I didn’t expect this on my first attempt with the least agressive combo however! I now have no white pad and just a orange. Would the next step be to use this oranage pad with the same polish? I also have some megs #105 - should I jump straight to that?
kaisah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 06:29 PM   #2
voon
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Old pad? I remember my shoes falling apart, because the softeners had left the foams, thus it all became brittle over the years, despite looking perfect initially.
voon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 06:31 PM   #3
kaisah
Unwashed Member

Nope brand new pad, this was my first attempt so all equipment is new.
Old 05-04-2018, 07:21 PM   #4
voon

Garage
Strange. Did the padfoam rip off the "hooks and loops" pad thing on the back? or did it just weirdly disintegrate randomly? I never had that happening with my Flex 3401 ever ... not that I did a lot, but around 3 entire cars I did with it and nothing ever happened to the foam?
voon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 07:44 PM   #5
cossiecol
Moderator & Reviewer

Thanked 3,137 Times in 1,795 Posts
Sounds like you didn’t clean the pad out regularly and let the heat build up too much.
Old 05-04-2018, 07:50 PM   #6
cwdwb65
Unwashed Member

My first thought was putting too much pressure on the pad particularly if it was allowed to dry out... but I could be miles away as I'm by no means an expert. Hopefully one of the more experienced guys on here will add their thoughts.
cwdwb65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 08:02 PM   #7
kaisah
Unwashed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by voon View Post
Strange. Did the padfoam rip off the "hooks and loops" pad thing on the back? or did it just weirdly disintegrate randomly? I never had that happening with my Flex 3401 ever ... not that I did a lot, but around 3 entire cars I did with it and nothing ever happened to the foam?
2 large pieces ripped off the backing Velcro part yes, and millions of tiny bits of foam came away with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwdwb65 View Post
My first thought was putting too much pressure on the pad particularly if it was allowed to dry out... but I could be miles away as I'm by no means an expert. Hopefully one of the more experienced guys on here will add their thoughts.
I must admit as my confidence was building I was applying more pressure to the pad by the last stage, but i wouldn’t say I was pressing down too hard. Just a little more than was required to keep the pad flat to the surface and not bounce around. At first I was literally just using the weight of the polished alone while I practiced a bit.

By “dry out” what do you mean exactly? I had only done 3/4s of a bonnet - should I be rinsing/cleaning my pad even after that much work? Was 3-4 drops of polish every 1/4 bonnet enough to keep the pad lubricated?

There did appear to be polish left behind in the buffer trail as I was going, which form the tutorials I’ve watched is what it says to look out for?

As always appreciate the input guys hopefully I’ll put my finger on what it was so I can prevent it happening to my new white pad on its way!

Last edited by kaisah; 05-04-2018 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Formatting
Old 05-04-2018, 08:07 PM   #8
Simz

205 is for finishing not cutting so defects will remain, as for the pad sounds to me like it got too dry/hot and was not primed properly.

Watch the junk man on YouTube mate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Simz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 09:43 PM   #9
cwdwb65
Unwashed Member

By 'dry out' I mean keeping going beyond the effectiveness of the compound to the point it's lost its purpose in life and possibly generating friction enough to pull the pad apart?
cwdwb65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 10:13 PM   #10
kaisah
Unwashed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwdwb65 View Post
By 'dry out' I mean keeping going beyond the effectiveness of the compound to the point it's lost its purpose in life and possibly generating friction enough to pull the pad apart?
What would be the main cause of this - not using enough polish (does it sound like I used enough?) or overworking it? I polished each section for maybe 4 minutes