Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > General > Detailing Chat
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Detailing Chat Got a detailing related question that doesn't fit in any other section? Post it in here. Sponsored by CleanYourCar

Old 02-07-2017, 02:51 AM   #1
Johnj9
Unwashed Member

Help: new car detail

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on this forum and was hoping for some advice. I've just bought a brand new car and I was hoping someone would give me advice on the detailing I was thinking of doing to it. Never owned a new car before so I'm not exactly sure how far I should go with the paintwork on the first detailing of it.

I planned on the usual snow foam/ 2bm
De-contaminate it with iron x
single stage machine polish to get it a bit shinier. Im not sure if this is needed though and the only polish I have is menzerna which I'm not keen on
glazed with poor boys black hole
sealed with chemical guys jet seal
then apply to coats of fourth wax summer on top

Is there anything in that list you'd do/wouldn't do? Any polish you'd recommend? Any waxes that would be more glossy than fourth wax? The car is stealth grey btw, so is a pretty flat colour.

Thanks in advance.
Johnj9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 03:37 AM   #2
Kerr
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 6,720 Times in 4,258 Posts
Top lurking. Over 4 years for your first post is some wait.
Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 03:55 AM   #3
Johnj9
Unwashed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerr View Post
Top lurking. Over 4 years for your first post is some wait.
I signed up a while ago planning to use the forum but never got round to it. I should've went with a new profile
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnj9 For This Useful Post:
chongo (02-07-2017)
Old 03-07-2017, 12:52 AM   #4
Moet1974
Orbital Oracle

Well done for the first post bud. Firstly I wouldn't be using black hole before Jetseal. It will not last two minutes doing that. Certainly wash, decon and more importantly strip any dealer applied products so you have fresh bare paint. You will the be able to see if any correction is needed. If so depending on the state of the paint you can choose an appropriate polish. It would be foolish to recommend a product as we don't yet know what the car is like. We all like things new and shiny so keep us updated and we can help bud.
Moet1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 06:56 PM   #5
Johnj9
Unwashed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moet1974 View Post
Well done for the first post bud. Firstly I wouldn't be using black hole before Jetseal. It will not last two minutes doing that. Certainly wash, decon and more importantly strip any dealer applied products so you have fresh bare paint. You will the be able to see if any correction is needed. If so depending on the state of the paint you can choose an appropriate polish. It would be foolish to recommend a product as we don't yet know what the car is like. We all like things new and shiny so keep us updated and we can help bud.

Our of interest, why wouldn't you go with black hole? There's been no dealer products applied at all, I luckily picked the car up just before they started cleaning it so I told them not to bother. Would a paint cleanser/polish be worth it? Or is it totally pointless if it's never been washed before?
Old 03-07-2017, 08:30 PM   #6
Moet1974
Orbital Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnj9 View Post
Our of interest, why wouldn't you go with black hole? There's been no dealer products applied at all, I luckily picked the car up just before they started cleaning it so I told them not to bother. Would a paint cleanser/polish be worth it? Or is it totally pointless if it's never been washed before?
PB Blackhole is a great product but if you want to put a sealant like Jetseal on the paint it won't bond properly if you put a glaze down first. All your efforts will be degraded in a matter of weeks and you will be back to square one! As to a paint cleanser. You would need to follow up IronX with either a clay bar or paint cleanser to pull anything else from the paint. It will have contaminates on it even though its new. Check out the opinions on Mitchell & King Pure or BH Cleanser Fluid bud.
Moet1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 09:59 PM   #7
Johnj9
Unwashed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moet1974 View Post
PB Blackhole is a great product but if you want to put a sealant like Jetseal on the paint it won't bond properly if you put a glaze down first. All your efforts will be degraded in a matter of weeks and you will be back to square one! As to a paint cleanser. You would need to follow up IronX with either a clay bar or paint cleanser to pull anything else from the paint. It will have contaminates on it even though its new. Check out the opinions on Mitchell & King Pure or BH Cleanser Fluid bud.
I never knew that. I've been doing that for years. I'm a bit embarrassed now so does this sound good to you?

Iron x
2bm with cg clean slate
Polish with car chem pre wax cleanser (if needed)
Jet seal
Wax

Anything I'm doing wrong or you'd add? Sorry for the questions mate.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:18 PM   #8
c87reed
Orbital Oracle

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnj9 View Post
I never knew that. I've been doing that for years. I'm a bit embarrassed now so does this sound good to you?

Iron x
2bm with cg clean slate
Polish with car chem pre wax cleanser (if needed)
Jet seal
Wax

Anything I'm doing wrong or you'd add? Sorry for the questions mate.
You would use Iron X after you have washed with 2BM, and dried. Best applied to a dry car.
c87reed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 11:09 PM   #9
Johnj9
Unwashed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c87reed View Post
You would use Iron X after you have washed with 2BM, and dried. Best applied to a dry car.
That's why I do it first. Cover in iron x then snow foam it off then 2bm. Is that the incorrect way of doing it?
Old 04-07-2017, 12:18 AM   #10
c87reed
Orbital Oracle

Garage
You may find that the iron X will only dwell on the dirt on the paint, and not remove all of the iron particles underneath. I think another reason is that you won't need to use as much of the product when the paint is clean and dry.

In theory, if the paint is only slightly dusty and not heavily soiled, it shouldn't make too much difference to its performance if you used it first.

I would:
snowfoam
Rinse
2BM
Rinse
Dry
Iron X (or in my case Korrosol)
Rinse
Dry
Tar removal stage

Then if I'm using clay, I move onto that next, otherwise I'd move straight onto using paint cleaners and LSP.

I do a lot of drying, but I use a blower so not to much of an issue.

Last edited by c87reed; 04-07-2017 at 12:22 AM.
c87reed is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
car, detail, grey, stealth