Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 19-03-2018, 03:00 PM   #51
MR X8X
Sponge Jockey

Garage
Loving the write up. Got a r53 in brg and just had all the bushes and drop links replaced. Next is the suspension was toying with the b4 how are they to standard and is that on standard springs?
MR X8X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 03:37 PM   #52
James_G
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolndanny View Post
Annoyingly I had just finished my "Sunday night pint" just as I noticed you'd updated this.

Your updates are always a joy to read, would of been perfect with a pint in hand whilst reading.
Thanks Danny. Any update from the Saxo fleet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenekeorr View Post
Great updates, I have learnt a lot and will no doubt be referring to those torque specs at some point in the future!

Looks like youíve done a proper job of the suspension, very thorough. You must be quite patient and methodical to overcome the issues you came across too! Those spring compressors frighten me though
I think because it's not my daily I can take my time and if, as in this case, things don't go well I can't just shut the garage door on it and come back some time later. Spring compressors trouble me too, but I always wear eye protection and gloves when using them to hopefully prevent any significant damage should the worse happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartman View Post
Great work, don't see many checkmates about.

A tip for the front suspension though, I am not sure if there is bmw/mini tool but I know VWs that have the same front strut in hub arrangement there is a special hub spreader tool so you don't have the issues you did getting the strut in and out.

I never bought this tool for my VW though and hammered in a small cold chisel to spread it ever so slightly then the strut falls in and out. Worth knowing for the future
That's a great tip, thanks. I used a claw hammer to open up the slot but wedging something in there that you don't have to hold would definitely have helped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR X8X View Post
Loving the write up. Got a r53 in brg and just had all the bushes and drop links replaced. Next is the suspension was toying with the b4 how are they to standard and is that on standard springs?
Yes, standard springs so no change in ride height. It's hard to say how the B4s compare because the previous units were so worn, and I've only done 15 miles since. Reports are that they are essentially the same as OEM, perhaps 10% stiffer.
James_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 04:36 PM   #53
alexjb
Orbital Oracle

Garage
Nice Mini - donít see too many Checkmates around.

Here is mine - Factory John Cooper Works

Best of luck with your project!
alexjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 05:46 PM   #54
ibiza55
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,375 Times in 1,336 Posts
Garage
Lovely jubbly, no one can accuse you of not putting the hours in, or not being dedicated to your wee motor matey. Nice work too.
ibiza55 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ibiza55 For This Useful Post:
James_G (24-05-2018)
Old 19-03-2018, 06:21 PM   #55
Lolly
Unwashed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjb View Post

Iím so saving for a checkmate this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 09:42 PM   #56
bluechimp
Washmitt Meister

Great work mate, that brings it all flooding back wrestling the strut into the hub then wrestling to get it to slide down whilst trying to line up the top mount bolts.

The pinch bolts are an awful design, it incourages corrosion at the most stressed point, but yes they are one time use. The R56 went to a nut and bolt setup, which people convert too if they have to drill out the bolt and ruin the threads in the hub.

You are worrying me now though as I didn’t torque anything up, it just all went back on nice and tight...I was thinking of stripping it down again and refurbing everything properly...hmmm.
bluechimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2018, 11:14 PM   #57
James_G
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjb View Post

[Pictures]

Thanks Alex, glad to see you you've still got yours. Any recent updates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibiza55 View Post
Lovely jubbly, no one can accuse you of not putting the hours in, or not being dedicated to your wee motor matey. Nice work too.
I wouldn't normally do such late nights but sometimes it's best to just keep on going and finish than have to pick it up again the next day. Worth it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolly View Post
Iím so saving for a checkmate this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You definitely should, no regrets from me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechimp View Post
Great work mate, that brings it all flooding back wrestling the strut into the hub then wrestling to get it to slide down whilst trying to line up the top mount bolts.

The pinch bolts are an awful design, it incourages corrosion at the most stressed point, but yes they are one time use. The R56 went to a nut and bolt setup, which people convert too if they have to drill out the bolt and ruin the threads in the hub.

You are worrying me now though as I didnít torque anything up, it just all went back on nice and tight...I was thinking of stripping it down again and refurbing everything properly...hmmm.
I agree, the pinch bolt thing is awful but it's no doubt optimised for cost saving and ease of manufacture. I was delighted when I didn't have to drill anything out. That's happened on one of my other project cars and it wasn't any fun.
Old 22-03-2018, 11:39 PM   #58
James_G
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Despite owning the Mini since mid February I haven't yet had the chance to give it a clean, what with the other jobs that I've been attending to. With them now almost done, it was time to get out the bucket and sponge.

Here's how it looked before, having done about 300 miles since purchase and a bit of work in the snow.

Not so bad, given some of the conditions we've had recently. First step was to start on the wheels, which don't appear to ever had had a refurbish so aren't at their best:

As a result of the long term staining I needed something stronger than I normally use and so went a bit old school:

That got rid of the dust but there were plenty of contaminants left so I gave it a hit of Iron X and within seconds I had this:

In the end I did this twice on each wheel but there is still plenty more to come out, so currently I am left with this (new badge to be sorted)

I then skipped the normal snow foam stage and went straight in for a wash which when rinsed left it looking like this:

Once dried this gave me the first real chance to inspect the bodywork which is littered with lots of small areas of paintwork damage, the sort that people describe as "consistent with the age of the car" or something similar. The worst is this scuff on the rear bumper:

I decided to get the rotary out and attend to a few localised areas to see what could be achieved, so using a Sonus white spot pad and some DodoJuice Lime Prime I set to work.

To start, I focused on the areas where a previous owner had once applied some Union Jack stickers and where removal had left some marks. A before showing those marks:

And one hit later

Same story on the other side, a before:

And after:

Scratch on the bonnet, before:

And after:

Scuff on the rear by the light, before:

And gone but scratch still remains

Nasty mark on the rear bumper, before:

And after, again with just one hit:

Another scratch on the rear, before:

And after:

And finally, that large scuff on the rear bumper after a single pass:

Obviously not perfect, but I am really pleased with how things are responding to what is a very light pad and level of cut. This all bodes well for when I get the chance to do a full work up on it.

Cheers for all the comments, contributions and tips on the thread so far and as always, thanks for reading

Last edited by James_G; 24-05-2018 at 10:40 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to James_G For This Useful Post:
SBM (23-03-2018)
Old 23-03-2018, 07:26 AM   #59
SBM

Thanked 2,190 Times in 1,654 Posts
Garage
Excellent results there buddy and great thread too
SBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 09:06 AM   #60
percymon

Garage
I didn't have many paint m,arks to deal with when i did my wife's 2008 Cooper, but it responded very well to Menzerna 2200 and 4000. I wasn't sure it needed the final polish, but it really added to the richness of colour.
percymon is offline   Reply With Quote