Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 04-11-2018, 06:19 PM   #121
jbenekeorr
PC Perfectionist

Great update.

That pick-up on the tyres should be worn like a badge of honour

Iíve been taking notes on your cloth seat cleaning methods for my own benefit
jbenekeorr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jbenekeorr For This Useful Post:
James_G (04-11-2018)
Old 05-11-2018, 12:28 AM   #122
James_G
PC Perfectionist

Garage
Checkmate checking out

So as one Mini Cooper S joins "Projects and Restorations" another leaves.

I spoke with a friend and former colleague earlier in the week and during the conversation I mentioned that I was going to be putting the Checkmate up for sale. He currently has an M135i but now commutes by train so wants out, which is odd because at least two of us on here have moved from one of those to a Cooper S. Anyway, I offered for him to come over and take mine for drive so he could get a feel for whether it would suit him.

Long story short, he came over yesterday, we went for a drive, he declared it "brilliant" and said he'd take it. I hadn't advertised it and I'd barely decided on price but I do want to sell it so I wasn't going to say no! He also wanted to keep the R56 brakes on it which meant I didn't have to go to the trouble of swapping them out.

I'll cover figures in a minute, but I did think there was a slim chance of this happening so I took a few photos before he arrived, figuring that if he didn't want to buy it I could use them as part of the Autotrader advert.

Then, purely by coincidence I was due to attend the Goodwood Hot Hatch Breakfast Club this morning with a good friend (and M3 owner) so I used that as an opportunity to have one final drive in it ahead of it being collected on Thursday.

So once home and at 90,586 miles I've put it in the garage and won't now drive it again.

Summary

As always I'd like to share my figures with you, so people can see what the costs are. This one has been good, financially, and of course I've hit my numbers regarding track days as well. So,

Car bought 14th Feb 2018 = £2,000
Sold 8th November 2018 = £2,500
Total servicing and parts costs = £1,170 which includes the upgraded brakes that I fitted and which the new owner wanted to keep
Miles done = 5,109
Track days = 2 evenings, 2 full days
Days owned = 267

According to my spreadsheet that's £0.13 in running costs, excluding RFL, insurance and RAC membership. With those things included it's £0.24 which is, surprisingly, the same as the MG ZR that came before it.

Consumption was, according to the OBC, 28.5mpg which includes the track days, and is fine for me, but probably a bit disappointing if one correlates car/engine size with economy.

Highlights over ownership have been the looks and the Checkmate specifically I always thought looked great with the combination of colours and those alloy wheels. It's also one of the easiest cars I've had in which to heel and toe, which I feel like I've finally mastered to make it genuinely useful on the track. It was also brilliant on track, once I'd fitted the brake upgrade. And that engine, of course.

Lowlights remain the clutch/gearbox and even today I missed a shift from 2nd to 3rd. In all probability a new clutch would sort this out, but it wasn't a job I wanted to undertake and since it wasn't slipping it never felt like a priority. But having to ensure the clutch was absolutely fully depressed before changing gear did get annoying at times. And of course the fidgety ride, no doubt not helped by having runflats. I did think my track wheels would show a difference but having stiff sidewalls as they do, the ride was the same no matter what. Finally those seats, hard to clean and hard to sit in. My back did adjust to what felt like lumbar turned up to 11, but those first few weeks were literally agony.

So all in all, a great car and a lot of fun but time to try something different. Not totally sure yet what it will be but rest assured, there will be a thread.

And in finally, in true YouTube car vlogger style, if you've liked this thread please take a moment to read my previous threads in Project and Restorations:

Porsche 944 S2 here

Alpina B3 3.3 here

BMW E39 525i SE here

VW Bora 1.6 SE here

Mercedes C350 Elegance here

MG ZR 160 here

Thanks for reading.
James_G is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to James_G For This Useful Post:
hoggers (05-11-2018), jbenekeorr (05-11-2018), Mike1982 (05-11-2018), Peter D (05-11-2018), SBM (08-11-2018)
Old 05-11-2018, 08:58 AM   #123
jbenekeorr
PC Perfectionist

Nooooooooooooooooo! Not the end of the Checkmate!

Iíve loved this thread from start to end. Entertaining, hugely varied in the work youíve done, plus Iíve learnt a fair bit from it.

The new owner will have a really well sorted car. Funny, as you say, that he is also coming from an M135i.

Canít wait for the next thread
Old 05-11-2018, 09:04 PM   #124
srhutch
PC Perfectionist

Garage
Going to put up my mini project. Not quite finished, but broken the back of it.

What next though James?
srhutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 10:40 AM   #125
lincolndanny
PC Perfectionist

Once again a great read to of kept up with James, appreciate your time in keeping us all amused.

Can we all start chipping in with Ideas for the next project now?
lincolndanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 10:47 AM   #126
jbenekeorr
PC Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolndanny View Post
Once again a great read to of kept up with James, appreciate your time in keeping us all amused.

Good idea. Now, what would be far too potentially financially devastating for us to own ourselves but would be exciting to watch from afar? A mid 2000ís Range Rover of unknown heritage perhaps. Or maybe an old S-class in the same vein. Any more suggestions?
Old 06-11-2018, 09:55 PM   #127
James_G
PC Perfectionist

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenekeorr View Post
Nooooooooooooooooo! Not the end of the Checkmate!

Iíve loved this thread from start to end. Entertaining, hugely varied in the work youíve done, plus Iíve learnt a fair bit from it.

The new owner will have a really well sorted car. Funny, as you say, that he is also coming from an M135i.

Canít wait for the next thread
Thanks James and great to hear that you enjoyed it. I also learnt a good amount from your thread, like the resistor fix for the fan, which is one of the great things about Project and Restorations. Plus you save a Rover 600!

Quote:
Originally Posted by srhutch View Post
Going to put up my mini project. Not quite finished, but broken the back of it.

What next though James?
You should do it Steve, all project threads are good threads in my opinion. I didn't know you had a Mini though and so had I not sold mine so quickly could have done a "Mini Owners of DW" meet up somewhere! We should still do that actually.

Up next will likely be a five door, 200hp, manual hatchback. Candidates in declining order of price include:

VW Golf R32 - Mk5
VW Golf GTi Edition 30
Subaru WRX
BMW 130i
Renault Megane 225
Vauxhall Astra SRi Turbo 200

I am amazed at the prices of the VW options though, £10K for a R32, £8k for an ED30.

That said, I'd really like to do something a bit different. For a few years I've wanted to take a car that's been ruined and return it to standard (De-Pimp My Ride??) and I've always wanted to do a Clubsport type build.

So something like a Porsche 996 that's had a tasteless wrap, fitted with the wrong alloys and 997 esque lights. I could then return to standard before turning it in to a GT3 evocation with some fixed buckets, rear seat delete and half cage. Trouble is all the gash Porsches are more money than the standard ones! Would work for an E36/E46 M3 too.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:56 PM   #128
James_G
PC Perfectionist

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolndanny View Post

Thanks Danny, glad you've enjoyed it. Following your lead I am still on the hunt for the original Lotus Elise press car in Chrome Orange, P79 OAH. I think it's gone abroad though as not taxed or MOTd for the last four years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenekeorr View Post
Good idea. Now, what would be far too potentially financially devastating for us to own ourselves but would be exciting to watch from afar? A mid 2000’s Range Rover of unknown heritage perhaps. Or maybe an old S-class in the same vein. Any more suggestions?
Leggy Ferrari 348??

Last edited by James_G; 06-11-2018 at 09:59 PM.
Old 06-11-2018, 10:38 PM   #129
jbenekeorr
PC Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_G View Post
Leggy Ferrari 348??
YES! With some chrome rims, an eBay spoiler and a dodgy respray so you can achieve your goal of un-pimping someoneís ride
Old 07-11-2018, 12:26 PM   #130
CoOkIeMoNsTeR
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
A warning about cheap supercars, it never ends well. In fact, a warning about expensive supercars, it still isn’t likely to end well!! I’m amazed my old Aston is still on the road haha, was a terrible car that all in. A Maserati Quattroporte has got to be up there with the best cars to make you go bankrupt in under a month, Bentley Flying Spur a close second. I think my sister did it right with her CLK55 AMG which is a great car. Can’t recommend an E, S, CL or SL class though thanks to such fun and expensive to repair toys like Servotronic brakes and Active Body Control. The cheap 911 game has gone now, nobody wants 3.4 996’s as the are fundamentally a bit rubbish and the IMS issues alone put everyone off. The 3.6 is a better bet, but the prices and conditions vary so wildly you never really know how good a deal you’re getting. My old air cooled 911 is now worth a fortune but I picked it up for £7600 in 2006. You can’t even get a rotten breaker car for that money now, but I fear they have peaked, or they are at least about to. Of your list I think the 130i stands out the most. A 320si is another shout, but a bit risky even by 4 cylinder BMW standards. Curve ball, how about an Alfa 159 or 166? My Dad loves his 159 and being a tuned petrol one it goes and sounds amazing. Another must have in life is a Jaaaaaaag. XJ’s are great bargains right now, but they probably aren’t cars for the track. Good luck with whatever you choose though.
CoOkIeMoNsTeR is offline   Reply With Quote