Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 13-10-2018, 12:29 PM   #351
guest1
Unwashed Member

Simply astounding

I have spent the morning reading the entire thread and am completely blown away by the patience, love and dedication that you have put into this.

If I may -- I would strongly suggest that you print this thread off and send to Peugeot UK: they would be well advised that support you in any way that you can (maybe they have bits that you need ?). In addition and depending on what you want to do with the car when it is done, I would suspect they would be interested in buying it off you to be able to use it for car shows / their museums -- you have practically re-built the entire car !!

Complete respect @Willys309
guest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2018, 11:07 PM   #352
Willsy309
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Really appreciate the kind comments thank you

I think patience is definitely the right word, certainly with this current stage of the build, where it really is such a long drawn out affair removing so much of the original stone chip under seal stuff and then working through each piece of rust.

Long term it just has to be a keeper, Iíd never come close to making my money back. I do certainly aim to take it out as much as possible to classic shows etc.
If I could get it displayed at the N.E.C for the annual classic car show there that would be a fantastic achievement for me. Going there and seeing all the hard work from others peoples projects really does drive the desire to keep going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Willsy309 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Willsy309 For This Useful Post:
SBM (20-10-2018), Tuddie (09-11-2018)
Old 15-10-2018, 11:25 PM   #353
Willsy309
Washmitt Meister

Garage
A little more progress on the underside over the last 2 days.

Forgive me if itís starting to look a bit Ďsameyí & youíre getting bored of the rust removal pics but there is genuinely still hours going into it between pics.

I blitzed off some more factory stone chip above where the drivers side of the rear suspension bolts on.

This was achieved partly with a variety of wire attachments on the drill, and a soaking in Nitromors (nasty stuff!)

This left me with the rusty stuff to contend with

Yesterday I was doing some house DIY, so I popped a coat of Bilt Hamber Deox Gel on and left it for 6 hours so at least there would be some improvement

Today was much better, I spent about 3 hours scraping away at the loose rust using an old electricians flat blade screwdriver. Itís hard as nails and works great as a little chisel to get into the tighter areas. Much of the rust could be scraped off so the metal at least felt a bit smoother to glide a finger over.

After that I left the Deox gel on for 8 hours. After wiping it all off hereís where Iím at now.

After another days worth on it tomorrow I hope itíll be mostly rust free on that section.

Iíll also begin the rust removal on the tighter box section bit to the right.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Willsy309 For This Useful Post:
SBM (20-10-2018), Sicskate (16-10-2018), Tuddie (09-11-2018)
Old 16-10-2018, 12:31 PM   #354
VeiRoN
Washmitt Meister

Can't rush this stage as it's vital,though having something like the Deox helps alot,how do you deal with corrosion that has gone trough behind a panel or especially inside the seams? They both could be treated with the Dynax I guess but even the gel has limited access in this cases.
VeiRoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2018, 03:12 PM   #355
Sam6er
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Wow! taken me a few days to read this thread but seriously impressed with the work and attention to detail. Keep up the good work but i need more updates to read lol
Sam6er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2018, 11:01 PM   #356
Willsy309
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeiRoN View Post
Can't rush this stage as it's vital,though having something like the Deox helps alot,how do you deal with corrosion that has gone trough behind a panel or especially inside the seams? They both could be treated with the Dynax I guess but even the gel has limited access in this cases.

Absolutely right, this is one stage that I really REALLY donít want to be doing again anytime soon.

With regard to behind the seams the only thing I can really do (& suggest to others) is use the Deox Gel as much as possible initially, and use a small scribe to get off as much as it visible.

The only thing that can then realistically be done then is to use a very small artists brush which does fit a little way under some of the seams, so Iíve used that and Bilt Hambers Hydrate80 rust converter, and have forced as much of it under all of the seams as possible.

To my knowledge thereís nothing else that can be done. With a bit of luck the rust converter will stall any thatís crept under, and with epoxy mastic, new seam sealer etc, coupled with an unlikelihood of using it in the wet or salty winter I hope that itíll be in a sound state for plenty more years

Tuddie (09-11-2018), VeiRoN (16-10-2018)
Old 09-11-2018, 12:50 AM   #357
Willsy309
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Evening all,

Been a few weeks passed, and Iíve still been cracking on with it.
Handily with this rust removal gel you can leave it several hours once itís on whilst you crack on with other stuff (like decorating the nursery to be)

The cars due to go on its holidays on Sunday to Daniel Whitworthís place for the inner sill welding. Once itís back from his place Iíll really be able to plough on with it.

Drivers side of the rear end is it stands

Tomorrow Iíll need to refit the rear suspension ready for its travels and make sure that everything thatís staying on the car is actually bolted firmly on before the journey

Tuddie (09-11-2018), VeiRoN (09-11-2018)
Old 09-11-2018, 09:01 AM   #358
VeiRoN
Washmitt Meister

Looks a lot better,other than this part you just cleaned,corrosion wise,how many other sections on the car are remaining just like this last one where there is more than surface rust?
VeiRoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 05:44 PM   #359
Willsy309
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeiRoN View Post
Looks a lot better,other than this part you just cleaned,corrosion wise,how many other sections on the car are remaining just like this last one where there is more than surface rust?

Thereís a small bit on the offside headlight panel, and the captive nut on the front arch for the mud flap spins so there will be a small bit there (canít access that without taking the wings off though which are bonded (I have 2 new wings to fit prior to respray) and to my knowledge thatís it.

Once Dannyís sorted the rear inner sills thereís nothing stopping me from getting bits back on and to start thinking about an MOT.

The other small bitís can be addressed later If Dannyís up for doing those bits too - hopefully I can drive it up to him by then

Old 10-11-2018, 04:19 PM   #360
barnsley-arosa
Unwashed Member

Fantastic thread, slowly worked through all 36 pages and now eagerly awaiting more !
barnsley-arosa is online now   Reply With Quote