Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 20-03-2014, 10:18 AM   #21
ibiza55
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,399 Times in 1,357 Posts
Garage
Totally epic work there, I hope you continue to achieve such a hig
h standard
ibiza55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2014, 10:39 AM   #22
Dawesy90
PC Perfectionist

Garage
Amazing project! I really want something like this a pretty basic car so I can learn more as I go along!

Keep up the good work and satin black
Dawesy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2014, 10:39 AM   #23
knightstemplar
Orbital Oracle

Location: If thou canst comprehend these things thou knowest enough
I bought a brand new Punto GT back in the day and loved it! It had the Uno Ie engine carried over to it if I remember correctly and it was a quick little thing. Love the Fiat Coupe in the background as well , they were an excellent car keep up the good work, cannot wait to see it finished
knightstemplar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2014, 10:46 AM   #24
Flakey

Fantastic thread. Subscribed for re-reading.
Flakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2014, 01:52 PM   #25
aDAM31
Sponge Jockey

Love this. Wish I had done as much to my MK3 fiesta a few years back. Keep up the good work.
aDAM31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2014, 02:11 PM   #26
jas_racing
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Pedal box fitted on the car, which in turn allowed me to refit the refurbed servo and (new) master cylinder assy:

Airbox in progress (I was taking my time to get it as good as possible and planned to top coat it with aerosol POR-15 for a super 'tough' finish):

jas_racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2014, 02:12 PM   #27
VW STEVE.

Great job.
VW STEVE. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2014, 02:14 PM   #28
jas_racing
Washmitt Meister

Garage
After MANY coats of filler primer and rubbing down it had a couple of coats of aerosol POR-15:

I wasn't happy with the (lack of) gloss finish so after another light rub-down I top-coated with a couple of coats of gloss black:

Finished (with rubbed down and repainted clips):

Fitted to the car:

Wiper motor and (new) arm fitted: (arm had an additional couple of coats of satin black for extra protection)

Managed to source a new OE rear bumper, can you guess which one it is in the pic?

Fitted to the car with new number plate light:

Ignition loom after overhaul:

FI loom finished and trial-fitted to the car:

I've added an additional relay to support the elderly Bosch FI relay (takes the switched O/P for the fuel pump):

The main engine bay loom before I started was an utter mess - covered in gunk, numerous missing connectors and a lot of the wires badly corroded along their full length. *I set about cutting out and replacing all the bad wires and connectors as well as integrating the additional wiring for the alarm & central locking, electric window & headlight relay mods and wiring for the digital boost gauge. *I've also installed the immobiliser relay roughly as per the factory fit option, plus a couple of other secret immobilising features. *I wanted the loom to look all-original with all additional wiring integrated such that it looks like it came out of the factory that way. All connectors were soldered for extra security. Took MANY hours to do...

During:

All the cables I cut out:

Finished article (shiny bits are wrapped in self-amalgamating tape):

Old 20-03-2014, 02:19 PM   #29
jas_racing
Washmitt Meister

Garage
A productive weekend was taken up with refitting the wiring looms into the car and testing of as much of the electrical systems as I could. All lights work, including the headlight relay mods, plus the indicators, tail lights, brake lights, etc, so it's so far so good. Also tested the digital dash and I'm delighted to report that the modifications to make the digital boost gauge work have been successful Took a little vid, off camera I'm blowing into a pipe connected to the port on the top of the Microplex ecu to simulate a little pressure:

It would appear that my lungs can only generate 0.2bar of boost!

Last edited by jas_racing; 20-03-2014 at 02:32 PM.
Old 20-03-2014, 02:25 PM   #30
jas_racing
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Refurbed handbrake lever fitted:

Dug out the 'new' rear calipers that came with the car:

Odd how one was painted gold, the other just bare metal?! Didn't matter anyway as I was painting them with POR-15 + a coat of black Hammerite.

Finished rear caliper, ready to fit: (new slider pins and refurbed carrier bracket plus I replaced the mild steel bleed nipples with stainless ones)

Front calipers are the original (heavily corroded) ones that I had shot-blasted, then I painted them with POR-15 + Hammerite, and fitted new seals, (Bigg Red) pistons and stainless bleed nipples. *Again the carrier brackets are the originals refurbed and fitted with new slider pins. *Finished article:

Full suite ready to fit (new flexi hoses too):

A front, fitted to car: (ignore the rusty disc, that's only temporary)

Hydraulic connection made:

Ever wondered what a mk1 Uno would look like with 16" alloys from a Coupé fitted?

The little steel wheels I've had on the car (from a Cinquecento) don't fit over the calipers so I had to find something else to fit, and a spare set of Coupé alloys was my best option

A rear, fitted to the car:

Finished off fitting/connecting all the rigid brake pipes:

Connected up at the master cylinder end:

After this I fitted the reservoir, filled it with DOT4 and asked Mrs_jas_racing to lend a hand (or rather a foot) to fill and bleed the system. *Unfortunately this didn't start well - as soon as she pressed the brake pedal fluid leaked out of several connections despite them being, to my mind, tight...I was stumped to begin with but after a bit of thought I decided to really tighten the connections, and the leaks were gone. *It seems that having used copper-nickel pipe, which isn't as soft as normal copper pipe, it needs a LOT more torque to compress and form a good seal. *Lesson learned there! *After this it was just a normal bleeding procedure, with 3 goes around each corner giving air-bubble free fluid. *All 4 calipers appear to work perfectly on the foot brake, with the pedal feeling quite firm/positive. It felt like a big step forward to have a brake system installed and working
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jas_racing For This Useful Post:
Danman (24-03-2014), Envy Car Care (15-12-2014)