Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 19-08-2015, 11:11 PM   #21
SteveTDCi
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 2,440 Times in 2,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadOnVaux! View Post
Jeeesus....what a chavwagon....self tappers through the side trim and that drilled headlight!!!

Be good to see it being transformed
That's just what I thought, it looks like you have your work cut it.

Is it worth finding a parts car to go with it ? Have you set yourself a budget and timeframe ?
SteveTDCi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 11:29 PM   #22
lincolndanny
PC Perfectionist

Thanks for the input and comments guys.

With regards to is it worth going concourse on a Saxo VTS, yes I think it is. They are a car that defined a generation, some may say for the wrong reason when it comes to taste but that just makes a 100% standard car all the more appealing. There's concours 205 GTi's out there now and look what the values of those are doing!

I have got a donor mk1 stashed away which will help with all the missing sound deadending, clips, bolts etc

Timescale wise, I've never built something to concourse so can't really say. First thing I want to do is try and track down as many original/rare parts as possible so that when the shell is finished and painted, it will all happen rather quickly hopefully
lincolndanny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lincolndanny For This Useful Post:
SteveTDCi (20-08-2015)
Old 20-08-2015, 09:39 PM   #23
Starburst
PC Perfectionist

I've always had a soft spot for the VTS. Good luck Danny, I look forward to this.
Starburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2015, 09:53 PM   #24
lincolndanny
PC Perfectionist

Managed to kick things off by obtaining one of the parts that I thought would be really elusive! An original Citroen radio/cassette with it's user manual. Its in great condition with no wear evident. Correct part for my model and year

20150822_201753_zpskk2tsk50 by Daniel Whitworth, on Flickr

20150822_201819_zpspiyrwlac by Daniel Whitworth, on Flickr

Weirdly it will probably be one of the last bits that I fit as well!

Just a mini update for now as I've got plenty of bits on their way but couldn't resist posting up about that little find. More parts buying updates soon

Last edited by lincolndanny; 09-11-2017 at 12:38 AM.
Old 22-08-2015, 10:32 PM   #25
turbosnoop
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

I'm 32 now. Always been a hot hatch lover, and to me the Saxo vts/106 gti always seemed like the car to beat many years ago. You'd always hear of fiestas etc being remapped/ cammed etc and still struggling to stay with a vts. They always seemed to be faster than they should be, and stay with cars they shouldn't. A little bit like the ep3 ctr in the noughties, but more affordable. I was lucky enough to own a 106 gti when I was 21, as mentioned in your gti thread, won't go on about that. Look forward to seeing this develop. Lightweight and n/a cars are NOW a dyeing breed, let's keep them alive
turbosnoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 09:58 PM   #26
ooleybrah
Unwashed Member

Followed your 106 projects and was delighted to see you had bought one of these.

My friend has a late 97 mk1 cherry red vts in pretty good nick. No rust as far as we can see. Really surprised me when he took me out in it. I'm hoping to purchase it off him soon and do something similar to yourself. I don't think she would take a lot of work to get there either.

Anyway, these mk1's seem to be getting pretty rare now and Ive had the same discussion with people about it being a future classic (only to be laughed at) but you never know.

Best of luck in the resto
ooleybrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 11:01 PM   #27
Rían P
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
I love motors of the 90's, think it's just the shape of that era.
This should/could be a very tidy wee car when you have finished and I wish you all the best with it!
Rían P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2015, 10:05 AM   #28
C7 JFW
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to C7 JFW
Citroen Saxo VTS - flippin' awesome piece of kit.

Concourse.... Oh my, now you're tugging on heart strings!!

Superb thread and well done for preserving something truly brilliant.
C7 JFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 10:35 PM   #29
lincolndanny
PC Perfectionist

A little chain of events over the last few days has resulted in a slight change of direction with the car and this progress thread. Rest assured the car is still going to be going concours but it's going to take me years to track down all the bits i'll need.

I've been stripping down the donor car each night after work as I really feel like there is one too many cars at home at the moment. The issue with stripping a complete car down is where to put bits!

So I started to put bits straight onto the VTS loosely so they were out of the way but then it hit me. Why not just clean the VTS up and build it up as I take stuff off the donor? Get it in to a tidy condition for now and enjoy it a little. Then once I've got a good stock of the bits I need in a few years, crack on with the concours build!

So the thread will now concentrate on my progress of getting the car back up to scratch as a good condition car and i'll also update it each time I get decent juicy bits for the concours build!

Sound ok?....Good!

So where to start? Well decided to start at the nearside rear.

Dull & coarse paint plus a nice long scratch!
So I stripped out the rear window, light and rubbers. Washed, clayed, G3 to get rid of the scratch(yup, disapeared!)3 coats of SRP and then a coat of sealant.

Then cleaned and refitted the rubbers, light and window.

Very happy with the colour, I really don't know why more people didn't order it when new??!!!??

Last edited by lincolndanny; 21-01-2018 at 11:04 AM.
Old 01-09-2015, 10:52 PM   #30
lincolndanny
PC Perfectionist

Next up for attention was a bit of boot love. Typical filth in the hinge area.

Cracked on with cleaning it up, got a good couple of layers of polish on.

The car has previously been used as a track car so the rear wiper had been removed completely along with the 3rd brake light. Not very carefully either....

So replaced that section of loom with the one from the donor car.

Robbed it of the wiper motor and wiper etc as well. Gave the wiper arm a coat of paint and a fresh blade.

More soon
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to lincolndanny For This Useful Post:
kartman (02-09-2015), MadOnVaux! (02-09-2015), Soul boy 68 (01-11-2015), sprocketser (01-09-2015), SteveTDCi (02-09-2015), williamsclio1 (01-09-2015)