Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > General > Detailing Chat
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Detailing Chat Got a detailing related question that doesn't fit in any other section? Post it in here. Sponsored by CleanYourCar

Old 12-01-2018, 09:47 PM   #11
Alex29
Sponge Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheRob View Post
At this point, I'm worried that you're being detained at Her Majesty's pleasure and when you say 'my other half' you mean big Keith your cell mate

I got an order from Slims this week and it contained...

BH Korrosol 1L
BH Surfex HD 1L
BH Auto-Wash (shampoo)
Auto Finesse Oblitarate
Auto Finesse Mercury Metal Polish

I haven't used any of these products before so looking forward to trying them all.

My Nilfisk pressure washer is currently getting fixed under warranty and despite using a hose for years, I can't bring myself to go out and use it. It's like getting the bus when you've been driving a car for years haha. I've turned into a detailing snob!

I'm not sure I get the whole point of QD's tbh, sometimes I don't even use one.

I think I was the same as you with the tar stuff, I didn't want a keg of it in my back garden so I got the AF stuff.
Haha, life behind bars with big Keith I feel would be easier sometimes!

I feel too old, and I've been with the girlfriend too long it feels, to still say girlfriend. Not quite settled on a term I like yet, She Who Must Be Obeyed is probably close enough... She'd prefer fiancee or wife but not quite yet!

Nice! I'll be interested to hear how you get on. I had looked at Auto-Wash but it seemed quite expensive for a small amount. But I didn't check the dilution to be honest so it might be pretty good.

What Nilfisk are you using? I bought a C120 which I like but after looking on here it's wayyyyy down in standard to most peoples. I used it a few times, but I really need to start using it again. Even if it is just for the rinsing as I don't have a snow foam lance for it. I did buy a brush to attach and clean the car with on it but it's annoying you can't run foam through the brush, you can use the soap sprayer OR brush but not both. I tend to use the hose as I find setting it up a faff. But that was before I started taking better care of my cars, and I know that after tar removing and iron fallout removing it's best to give it a good blast.

I prefer washing by hand than with the brush anyway. But I think I may one day invest in the snow foam lance. I've mainly used the pressure washer on cleaning the drive rather than the car. Does a good job of that with what I call the 'angry nozzle' with the ball bearing in.
Alex29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 10:02 PM   #12
OnTheRob
Unwashed Member

Haha it was more the drawers full of darts, soap and razor blades that made me think you were in prison.

The BH Auto-Wash was £10 for 300ml but apparently you only need about 5ml in your wash bucket so it's cheap as chips.

My Nilfisk is the C120 as well, it was about £70 from Argos. It gets the job done but it would be nice to have a longer hose (my missus agrees ) and the reel to wind it up instead of having wires all over the show!

I got my foam lance on eBay for £20, here's the link: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nilfisk-A...sAAOSwuIlaVfm4

Can't beat blasting arches, wheels and bodywork with the Nilfisk, miles more enjoyable than the hose (and more efficient).

Have you used any of the Auto Allure stuff before? I've just clocked the offers they're doing but no idea how good it is. I'm assuming it must be decent? I can feel another f*cking purchase coming on
OnTheRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 10:26 PM   #13
Alex29
Sponge Jockey

Talking

Quote:
Haha it was more the drawers full of darts, soap and razor blades that made me think you were in prison.

The BH Auto-Wash was £10 for 300ml but apparently you only need about 5ml in your wash bucket so it's cheap as chips.

My Nilfisk is the C120 as well, it was about £70 from Argos. It gets the job done but it would be nice to have a longer hose (my missus agrees ) and the reel to wind it up instead of having wires all over the show!

I got my foam lance on eBay for £20, here's the link: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nilfisk-A...sAAOSwuIlaVfm4

Can't beat blasting arches, wheels and bodywork with the Nilfisk, miles more enjoyable than the hose (and more efficient).

Have you used any of the Auto Allure stuff before? I've just clocked the offers they're doing but no idea how good it is. I'm assuming it must be decent? I can feel another f*cking purchase coming on
Ahh got you! Smuggling a dart into prison would certainly be easier than a razor blade. Wouldn't want to cough mid smuggle...

You've swayed me. Maybe I'll get this parcel delivered to work instead!

Yeah I fully agree there. Not with your wife, because SWMBO will probably say the same so I'll keep quiet. That's half the faffing I cba with. Also I have kept it indoors as I'd read horror stories about them being left outside, the water left over inside freezing, expanding, and ruining the seals. So I have to go drag it out of the spare room.

That's very kind of you to send the link. I'll add that to favourites.

I haven't, I'd literally just heard of them the other day but there seems to be quite a few fans on here, and at those prices it wasn't much of a gamble if not. I'll hopefully let you know what I think soon. Not that I have any comparisons to make.

I'm on slims now, building up my basket. If I get it in the neck I'm blaming you
Old 12-01-2018, 10:42 PM   #14
OnTheRob
Unwashed Member

Haha I get the odd one delivered to work as well, what she doesn't know doesn't hurt her!

A friend* of mine left his Nilfisk in the shed and then tried to use it when frozen, safe to say he broke it and I'm (I mean he's) now getting a new one under warranty

Buzzin that you're on Slims building up your basket haha! Let me know what you get!

I'll be on Auto Allure soon buying 5 x 250ml sample bottles I reckon.
Old 13-01-2018, 12:09 AM   #15
Alex29
Sponge Jockey

Quote:
Haha I get the odd one delivered to work as well, what she doesn't know doesn't hurt her!

A friend* of mine left his Nilfisk in the shed and then tried to use it when frozen, safe to say he broke it and I'm (I mean he's) now getting a new one under warranty

Buzzin that you're on Slims building up your basket haha! Let me know what you get!

I'm sure that's a mistake your friend won't be making again. Glad to know that if any of my friends make that mistake that you can get it done under warranty. How long had you (sorry, your friend) owned it?

I could have gone mad... but I restrained myself to some Koch Chemie Green Star (recommended to me as a pre wash), I went in with some BH Auto Wash, a Martin Cox drying towel (I have a cheapo Kent one which actually seems to get OK reviews, but fancied this anyway, still on the cheap end of the spectrum), and a couple of Gtechniq spray bottles. A small order compared to what it would be, but I'll break myself in gently.

Last edited by Alex29; 13-01-2018 at 12:12 AM.
Old 13-01-2018, 12:09 AM   #16
Alex29
Sponge Jockey

Quote:

Also, can't go wrong on those sample bottles. Let me know what you choose.
Old 13-01-2018, 12:22 AM   #17
OnTheRob
Unwashed Member

Haha I bought the Nilfisk in September so not long. Think the standard warranty is 2 years.

Good man getting an order done! I haven't used loads of products so I'm similar to you in that I don't have a lot to compare against.

Is your cheapo Kent one yellow? I've got a couple of them but I'm trying a few others now.

Where you based?
Old 13-01-2018, 12:30 AM   #18
Alex29
Sponge Jockey

Quote:
Haha I bought the Nilfisk in September so not long. Think the standard warranty is 2 years.

Good man getting an order done! I haven't used loads of products so I'm similar to you in that I don't have a lot to compare against.

Is your cheapo Kent one yellow? I've got a couple of them but I'm trying a few others now.

Where you based?
I’ve got nearly a year to break mine then haha. Bought last January.

Yeah that’s it. The extra large drying cloth. Only paid a few quid on amazon, used once on my old fiesta which was in a terrible state, and forgotten about until recently. That fiesta had so much contamination, tar, sap, overspray you name it, it never really dried nicely and I never really bothered treating it nicely. A shame as it was actually a pretty good car, I had no problems at all with it.

Reviews on the one I just bought look pretty decent. Still only just converting from using the autoglym synthetic chamois. Dropped that pretty quick after realising that’s the worst c word you can use on here!

I’m in Essex mate. Probably a few on here from this part of the UK! Yourself?
Old 13-01-2018, 12:49 AM   #19
OnTheRob
Unwashed Member

You have to start somewhere don't ya, I didn't do 5% of the stuff I do now on my old cars either. Bet everyone on here used to use a chamois!

That Martin Cox one will be spot on, I think a lot of products are a much of a muchness!

I'm up in Manchester mate.

Tags
polish, wash, wax