Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Lifestyle > The Home and Garden Zone
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Home and Garden Zone All about the Home - including alternative uses for cleaning products ... and all about the Garden

Old 18-08-2018, 02:51 PM   #21
BrummyPete
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxboy View Post
Thanks for all the input. Unfortunately the budget wont stretch to a Makita so I've upped it a bit and got the DeWalt on offer from Screwfix for £100 which includes 2 x 2A batteries. Should be OK for my needs

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
I have that one, I bought it when it first come on offer a couple of months back, its pretty powerful and so far doing a great job

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
BrummyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BrummyPete For This Useful Post:
Taxboy (18-08-2018)
Old 18-08-2018, 09:57 PM   #22
dholdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh1ner View Post
Recharging after use is not recommended for lithium cells. Unlike Ni-Cad and NiMh they maintain life and the cells degrade less when stored at about 40% charge.
Once a lithium pack drops below a certain point, not just voltage, it will not recharge at all because the internal protection circuits prevent it.
Once flattened, beyond a certain point, the internal resistance increases and the life is much reduced. Once this has happened capacity is not recoverable.
Charging after use and then leaving makes this happen faster.
Cordless tools need to be used regularly to make the most of any battery pack or any of them, for different reasons, will fail.
Mmmm, didn't know that.
With all 3 of my cordless drills on Li-ion I've used them until the battery is flat then swapped for the spare and put the other on charge.
They are all over 3 years old and don't appear to be any worse for it.
dholdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2018, 02:36 AM   #23
Sh1ner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dholdi View Post
Mmmm, didn't know that.
With all 3 of my cordless drills on Li-ion I've used them until the battery is flat then swapped for the spare and put the other on charge.
They are all over 3 years old and don't appear to be any worse for it.
I would assume you use them all frequently then and if they are tools of the trade you should see good life but you should see longer life if not stored fully charged.
However battery tools are often used infrequently and in this case charging and leaving lithium cells is not a good thing.
They suffer less degradation if stored/unused for long periods if not fully charged. Unlike Ni-cad which self discharge/deteriorate unless they are fully discharged, before charging and also used regularly or NiMh which are tolerant, to an extent of the state of charge prior to charging but will deteriorate if not stored charged.

Last edited by Sh1ner; 19-08-2018 at 11:20 AM.
Sh1ner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2018, 07:27 AM   #24
Titanium Htail

Garage
My DeWalt is a great performer, quallity battery drill are great performers used in the trade on site, I still have my dad's corded Stanley which must be 60+ years old for those small little jobs a historical item now.

I would still go with that higher end branded performers nothing worse than finding when you do use one it is not your to the job, so money well spent.

Work supplied DeWalt corded option @£240+ has so much torque it will spin you round given the opportunity plus drill through walls with ease.

I am sure other top prands provide equal performance,get the 10.8v for £60+

John Tht.
Titanium Htail is offline   Reply With Quote