Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Technical > Help..!
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Help..! Questions relating to products and how to use them.

Old 04-02-2017, 10:21 PM   #1
m.a.94
Unwashed Member

Garage
Removing swirl marks without a machine polisher

Hello and apologies in advance if I am posting this in the wrong section I am still coming to grips with this forum.

I have been lurking around the forum for sometime now and have gained a lot of knowledge from it, therefore I have decided to join the friendly community in the hope to further educate myself on detailing.

The first question I have is related to swirl marks on my car, over the years my car has accumulated its fair share of swirls and it really lets the car down considering it is what I would class as an up coming classic.

The issue is I don't want to touch the car with a machine polisher as I don't know how thin the clear coat is and would rather stay away from a machine polisher if I can, so I'm looking for the best hand polish to use on my car which will cut the swirls away, and also some tips and tricks on how to apply would be appreciated.

Thank you
m.a.94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 10:44 PM   #2
DrEskimo
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

You need to remove clear coat to remove swirls. Whether you do that by hand or machine is just a question of efficiency...

The heat you need to generate and the large surface area of a car means that permanent removal of swirls by hand is just not a viable option IMO. Takes long enough by machine.

If you're are really not keen on getting a machine and learning, then maybe take it to a pro for a correction?

Otherwise your options could be to 'fill' or hide the swirls using glazes?
DrEskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DrEskimo For This Useful Post:
AndyN01 (12-02-2017)
Old 04-02-2017, 10:44 PM   #3
ihs0201
Unwashed Member

I have used Meguiars Ultimate Compound on hard Mercedes paint (by hand) to remove a scuff, but it was a LOT of work. You apply it using a foam pad onto a small section at a time, and work it in. Once it begins to haze, you should remove it using a plush microfiber. you can reapply as necessary if you aren't satisfied with the results. (take a look at:http://www.meguiars.co.uk/revitalise...mate-compound/). However, I wouldn't recommend it for a complete correction, purely due to the fact that it is a lot of work.

But as you are concerned about the paint thickness, a glaze may actually be more appropriate, as they don't contain any abrasives. They instead contain oils that can enhance looks and also fill in minor defects such as swirls, giving the impression the paint is swirl free. They are therefore less work, as you aren't physically cutting clearcoat. Prima Amigo is highly recommended here on this forum, as well as the 50 cal cover-up glaze. SRP from Autoglym is another great option that is readily available from Amazon and Halfords. All three get a lot a praise, so i'm sure you'll be happy with whichever one you choose.

This thread, though old may be a useful read, despite it not showing any of the pictures :
http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...ad.php?t=10656

Good luck, and hope this helps

Last edited by ihs0201; 04-02-2017 at 10:47 PM.
ihs0201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 10:49 PM   #4
m.a.94
Unwashed Member

Garage
Thank you for the quick response, I have been using poor boys black hole glaze for sometime now as a sort of 'cover up' and it has done a good job at hiding the swirls. Might just stick to using a glaze for now until I get my hands on a old car or panel to practice and make mistakes.

Thank you
Old 04-02-2017, 11:36 PM   #5
chongo
"Professor"

Thanked 4,796 Times in 2,921 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.a.94 View Post
Thank you for the quick response, I have been using poor boys black hole glaze for sometime now as a sort of 'cover up' and it has done a good job at hiding the swirls. Might just stick to using a glaze for now until I get my hands on a old car or panel to practice and make mistakes.

Thank you
I would definitely get yourself a panel and buy a DA like a DAS PRO from CYC and practice your polishing skills, then when it comes to your car, you could get a finishing polish that will make a big difference to the paints look but most of al it could remove some of the swirls you have.
chongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 11:39 PM   #6
m.a.94
Unwashed Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chongo View Post
I would definitely get yourself a panel and buy a DA like a DAS PRO from CYC and practice your polishing skills, then when it comes to your car, you could get a finishing polish that will make a big difference to the paints look but most of al it could remove some of the swirls you have.
Thank you for the reply Chongo, Thats the way thing are going to pan out by the looks of it lol. I might hold off until summer to get the miserable weather out of the way first.
The Following User Says Thank You to m.a.94 For This Useful Post:
chongo (05-02-2017)
Old 04-02-2017, 11:59 PM   #7
Andy from Sandy

If the car is made of metal then get a paint thickness gauge.

Although it can't tell you how thick the clear is search out the thread on how to get the best use out of it.
Andy from Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andy from Sandy For This Useful Post:
AndyN01 (12-02-2017)
Old 12-02-2017, 05:45 AM   #8
m.a.94
Unwashed Member

Garage
Is there any other recommended products as opposed to poorboys black hole to cover the swirls. Something that won't wash of within the first wash?
Old 13-02-2017, 01:44 PM   #9
lowejackson
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 2,963 Times in 2,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.a.94 View Post
Is there any other recommended products as opposed to poorboys black hole to cover the swirls. Something that won't wash of within the first wash?
Huge range of similar products but most would require something like a wax to protect the glaze.

I do respectfully disagree with DrEskimo regarding heat. This is a by-product of polishing rather than a necessary ingredient
lowejackson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lowejackson For This Useful Post:
DrEskimo (13-02-2017)
Old 13-02-2017, 02:04 PM   #10
AndyN01

Hi,

Blackhole is a good product. You'll probably be buying something which is pretty similar to what you've already got. If you've got lots of cash and fancy trying something else, go for it.

I'd be tempted to use the Blackhole, with a wax to stop it "washing off" (what have you already got?), until you're ready to go along the machine route.

When you get to that point I'm sure we'll be happy to offer some (lots of ) suggestions and opinions.

Good Luck.

Andy.
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marks, polish, swirl