Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 22-11-2017, 03:53 PM   #1
MGJ92
Unwashed Member

E36 M3 Evo saloon - project

I thought I'd start this thread to track the progress of my new project car, my E36 M3 Evo. It's a 1996 model, 3.2 litre straight 6 with the 6 speed gearbox, making around 317bhp when new. There were 694 of this model made and I'm not sure how many exactly are left but there are only 822 E36 evos (all models) registered now from some online data I found, 439 actually taxed and not SORN.

I picked it up after deciding to swap my 335d touring in for something fun for the weekend and a cheaper daily driver to rack up the miles going to work and back. I spotted this one and went to check it out, not sure what to expect with a poor advert not giving much away but found it was owned by the same chap for the last 17 years, a doctor in London, and had extensive service history which was mainly at the local main dealership. The bodywork isn't great, he had a 'tangle' with a cyclist at one point which meant the passenger side has had a respray which was a terrible job when inspected closely (sanding marks visible under the clear coat and over spray left on trim etc). The bonnet is sun faded and has some pretty big stone chips and also the boot has the usual rust spots. The arches and underneath were good though with just a couple of spots that I'll be sorting along the way to prevent them getting any worse.

Taking in to account the things we found I made an offer and managed to bag myself a future classic for half the price they are being advertised for currently!

I didn't get any pictures of car directly after picking it up but here's a few shots after I gave it a very quick clean to get the worst of what was on the car off. They were taken in very low light so apologies for the poor quality:

That wheel is a genuine Nardi factory upgrade! Still debating if I want to keep it or swap it out for another OEM option. I like it but it's very thin and feels a bit weird when you're driving 'spiritedly' after being used to the newer BMW wheels.

Trying out the Solution Finish Black Trim restorer and I was really happy with the results (bottom section had already been done in the first picture):

Rest of the car done:

I bought a private plate for it and a genuine M3 badge (don't ask how much!) and this was them going on using tape to get the correct OEM badge location:

Daylight shot:

One of the main jobs that needed doing was fresh rubber, 3 of the tyres were 2006 and the front left was 2003. They weren't very confidence inspiring to say the least. I ordered 4 fresh Michelin Pilot Sport 4s to keep in line with the factory BMW style.

Getting the car on these stands by myself with one jack was a stressful experience...

All four wheels had a lot of curbing and corrosion, for some reason the wheel weights had been stuck on the outer part of the rim at some point too leaving some nice black residue behind on 3 of them . So I took the wheels to MyAlloys in Basingstoke to get them refurbished who did an awesome job, very happy with the finish. They did warn me that some corrosion may show through and a 'sparkle' finish would help hide it but I stuck to OEM colour and accepted some small imperfections. I gave them a couple of coats of FK1000P before they went back on to seal them.

That's as far as I've got so far, it still needs a lot of work but I'm looking forward to getting it back to mint condition. My mate and I will be spending a full weekend on it soon doing paint work correction and a few other bits. I've got a quote from a local body shop for a respray on the bonnet (with a blend in to the wings) and front bumper, the full passenger side and the boot to sort the rust and I'll be getting this done when funds allow.

Matt

Last edited by MGJ92; 22-11-2017 at 05:34 PM.
MGJ92 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MGJ92 For This Useful Post:
Cookies (22-11-2017), Derekh929 (22-11-2017), JoeyJoeJo (27-11-2017), neilb62 (11-12-2017), rojer386 (24-11-2017)
Old 22-11-2017, 05:56 PM   #2
G105ALY
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Love it already...although I’m not quite sure how you’ve got it on axel stands there?

Please keep us updated with your progress.

Aly
G105ALY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2017, 05:58 PM   #3
MGJ92
Unwashed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G105ALY View Post
Love it already...although I’m not quite sure how you’ve got it on axel stands there?

Please keep us updated with your progress.

Aly
Cheers. Each time I was letting the jack down it was a tense moment, took a few attempts to get it just right towards the end! It was solid though, I fitted the new scorpion exhaust whilst it was like that too.
MGJ92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2017, 06:01 PM   #4
G105ALY

Been there done that with my restos. My XR2I is so light and easy...the RS I had was a different matter and induced some scary moments!
Old 22-11-2017, 06:02 PM   #5
pez
Washmitt Meister

Garage
On the chassis rails at a guess it's where I put them when I'm under my Celica, I don't trust the jacking points on it.
pez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2017, 06:05 PM   #6
G105ALY

Quote:
Originally Posted by pez View Post
On the chassis rails at a guess it's where I put them when I'm under my Celica, I don't trust the jacking points on it.
Same. Jacking points are a nightmare to get at.
Old 22-11-2017, 06:06 PM   #7
pez
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Ah you replied before I did, it's looking good already
Old 22-11-2017, 06:27 PM   #8
Forsh

Garage
I like!

Looks like a very decent usable future classic project!

From what I'm reading and seeing, Solution Finish Black Trim Restorer looks to be the go-to product for older plastics

I like that first job is to put new boots on! Way back I transformed my 325i E30 just by fitting new quality tyres - wheel have come up well too!

Please sort out my pet hate and get some chrome indicator bulbs and de-tango it

Look forward to updates

After a quick google it's the first time I've seen a LTW GT2 Spoiler - different but subtle!

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...Replica-Thread

Last edited by Forsh; 22-11-2017 at 06:35 PM.
Forsh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Forsh For This Useful Post:
pez (22-11-2017)
Old 22-11-2017, 06:35 PM   #9
pez
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsh View Post
I like!

Please sort out my pet hate and get some chrome indicator bulbs and de-tango it

You mean you don't like the fried egg look?
Old 22-11-2017, 06:39 PM   #10
Forsh

Garage
Only if it's on a bun with bacon, sausage & black pudding!

Forsh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Forsh For This Useful Post:
pez (22-11-2017)